Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allocation of FJC to Toyota dealers will be based on their previous sales of 4x4's. Just because some metro dealer sold a zillion camrys and corollas,he will get the lionshare of FJC's,probably not.Look for who sold the most 4x4's and they probably will be your best source for a FJC.
FACT or FICTION! I dunno :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
well...where did this info come from?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Factish

I called CAT the other day (Central Atlantic Toyota distributors) and here was their explaniation.

Dealer allocation of FJ's will be based on a mix of variables. It will not be volume alone that will determine which dealer gets more FJs. Instead it will be a mix of overall performance and sales history for a specific model or type of models. CAT said that at this time Toyota has not said which models will determine allociation.

Logic would dictate that previous 4x4 sales would be a factor but it could also be only sales history of SUV models (Tundra & Tacoma not included).

A lot of dealers out in the "country" like to use the explaniation that "We don't sell as many units as other dealers but most of what we sell is trucks, so we will get more FJs then the larger city dealers" This is true to some extent but is not painting the total picture. In the case of CAT, they expect Car Max (Laurel) and Dacars (Silver Spring) to get the larger allociations in my area. Both don't sell as many trucks on a % basis but they do sell the most units.

On the surface it seems to make sense that "metro" dealers would sell mostly sedans but even if 10% of their sales are 4x4's and that 10% represents more units then the smaller dealers sell in total the "metro" dealer will get more FJs.

Hope this helps,
Granger

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Makes sense. Yawn. Sounds logical. Yawn. I'm sleepy. Yawn. I'm going to throttle back on this forum to say, maybe 12 times a day until pricing comes out. Big Yawn.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
seems like most of you are from the south/southeast/west. Am I one of the few Yanks on this site?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pancho said:
Makes sense. Yawn. Sounds logical. Yawn. I'm sleepy. Yawn. I'm going to throttle back on this forum to say, maybe 12 times a day until pricing comes out. Big Yawn.

yep,I gotta go out and slop tha hogs

·
Registered
88 Posts
granger said:
Dealer allocation of FJ's will be based on a mix of variables. It will not be volume alone that will determine which dealer gets more FJs. Instead it will be a mix of overall performance and sales history for a specific model or type of models. CAT said that at this time Toyota has not said which models will determine allociation.

Logic would dictate that previous 4x4 sales would be a factor but it could also be only sales history of SUV models (Tundra & Tacoma not included).
My dealer's story is similar and he pointed out that 4Runner sales, in particular, are important drivers of allocation decisions.

Of course, he's doing a pretty job at moving 4Runners so, knowing my tight timelines, he might be trying to impress me with their potential allocation volume.

Still, he's pretty honest and has kept my expectations realistically low by stating that he would be very surprised if they got more than 2-4 vehicles per allotment. Being #7, I'm looking at the second or third allotment (if I can squeak by that long with what I'm driving now).

If not, my dealer has offered to try and get me their "repair loaner" rental rate at Enterprise if I must have a 4X4 during the wait. They get a pretty sweet volume deal from Enterprise because they rent all the cars they loan to clients during warranty-related repairs.

I think Toyota would be crazy not to let pre-order deposits be THE most important indicator. Hell, if you've already lined up willing buyers, ship to them first before you lose them (they lost me on a hybrid ealrier this year because they didn't take care of depositors first).

Of course, you can't blame the dealers for these mistakes- it's happening at the corporate distribution strategy level.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
ToyCruzr said:
It came from http://www.jimbarkleytoyota.com/ ,what they tell me is that they are the largest seller of 4x4's in the southeast hence FACT or FICTION :confused:
I'm a dork...

Just got off the phone with SouthEast Toyota Distributors. They confirmed what Jim Barkley Toyota was telling you. They are one of the larger dealers and they do sell mostly 4x4's. If you are trying to be the first on the block they would not be a bad dealer to go with. Also, the person I spoke with cited Brian Easler Toyota as another dealer that should get a larger allociation.

The person I spoke with also said that they are only getting about 600 FJs a month which will mean that no dealers are going to be getting a ton of FJs at launch. The person said that a larger allociation would be 4 or 5 units a month.

They also said that Toyota will be using "Light-Trucks" to determine allocaiation which includes the Rav and Highlander. (Plus the pickups, 4-Runner and Sequia)

Keep in mind, it is still better to be first on a small dealer's list then 10th on a larger dealers list.

Hope this helps,
Granger

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I'm first on a somewhat small dealer's list here in MA. Bernardi Toyota. Not tiny by any means, but not huge either. But....do we still think they'll be able to get me what I want first since I'm #1 on the list? Anyone have any idea? thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
In my opinon.......

All dealers should get at least one FJ around the same time. Larger dealers may get their first shipment a couple of weeks before smaller ones but we are not talking months here.

Now, there is NOTHING that says the first one they get will be the one you preferenced. That is part of why it is called preferencing and not ordering. If you like the first one they get and are first on their list (regardless of dealer size) you will be one of the first driving an FJ.

What will prove intesting will be region differences. People in Cali may get their FJ a month or two before east coasters, or vice-versa. Or maybe everyone will get them at the same time, at this point no one knows.

I can't wait to see the "I just picked up my new FJ" thread in a couple months.

Something I left out of my previous post, SE Toyota Dist. said that they have been told they will start receiving FJs in March 2006.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
other1 said:
Ah , Speculation!! Next some will be looking for weapons of mass destruction

that's what the black box is in the back...didn't you know?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
other1 said:
Ah , Speculation!! Next some will be looking for weapons of mass destruction

More like an educated guess. :D

Most of what I have posted in this thread is from Toyota's distributors. These are the people who will see the FJ's first and are the one's responsible for processing the preferencing and getting the FJ's to the dealers.

Until I can find a contact within Toyota Corporate this will have to do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess one bright side to this is by the time the dealerships get any FJ inventory that we have access to, Toyota might be far enough in the production cycle that they are offering more options, like color, etc...

But like Percy, I had waiting!!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Speaking of waiting - I can get one as soon as they come out. I have been trying to limp by with my truck until I can get the new beastie. So, of course, this week the heater core goes out and I have a power steering hose leaking. Now I get to do repairs on my truck instead of getting ahead on a couple of bills in anticipation of the FJ. Just my luck. I swear, this had better be the last repair I have to make on my truck before the release of the FJ or I will be riding my bicycle to work and waiting desparately to get a hold of the FJ.

C'mon Toyota - We are in need at this point. Bring on the FJ already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts