Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions on which horn i can replace the wimpy factory one with? I ideally want it so that i unplug the factory and plug the new one. Dont wanna mod anything.
Thank you.

Have a 2008 fj

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Get the Toyota high-pitch horn. It will be a supplement to your stock horn, and the FJ is pre-wired for a 2nd horn above the fender on the passenger side. Totally plug-n-play. Took me ~2 minutes to install. Do a search on 2nd horn and you'll find the instructions. The wire is taped to another wide on that side of the FJ.

Again, it is totally plug-n-play, and the low pitch and high-pitch have a VERY nice LOUD sound to them when together.

OR, get a train horn!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you get the toyota high pitch horn? How much?
It just plugs in? Does it need a ground?
Thank you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I ordered mine from toyota of Dallas (TRD Parts 4 U - vendor on here) I think it was ~$50 and got the bolt for 99 cents (it is linked on the page). Install was 5 minutes and it certainly seems louder. I too found that when people were trying to merge into my fenders that the "meep" sound coming from my front end wasn't much of a deterrent. The 2nd horn certainly appears to get more of a response. :D

This post was most helpful:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/1744566-post34.html

One thing to note is that a lot of time people will say "right side", which is the passenger side.

Found the link:
http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-7004

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thank you.
I bought mine from the local dealer. They charged MSRP (~70?), and had it there the next day. Your dealer might even have it in stock. Also, I mounted mine to on the side of the FJ (so I could use the stock wire - didn’t have to cut/splice a new wire to take it to the front). There is a threaded hole you can mount the horn to on thepassenger side. I think it was a #6 or #8 bolt (metric). I remember buying both sizes at Home Depot just to be safe.

Seriously though, if you mount it by the spare wire, it will take you 2 minutes. Pull off the tape to find the wire, plug it into the horn, bolt it to the FJ, honk horn.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you will do just that. It sounds the simplest. When you honk is it a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thank you will do just that. It sounds the simplest. When you honk is it a noticeable difference?
Oh yeah. I pointed the horn more forward than straight down in the hopes that more of the sound goes forward and gets noticed. Not sure if it makes much difference though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you.
The Toyota part numbers are (Horn Assembly 86510-60240 and Bolt 90080-11545). Together, the "list" price at the dealer was about $60 (gasp).

One note: if you're doing this on a 2011 FJ, PLEASE let me know where you found the wire for the second horn. Neither I nor my dealer can find it, although from the other posts you'll see, it's not hard to find on earlier models.

Chris

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've noticed a lot of people not paying attention lately and I need something louder to wake them up! I wanted train horns, but the whole compressor thing seemed overly complicated for my skill level.
I settled on the PIAA 85112 115db 500HZ + 600HZ Sports Horn set. They were reviewed pretty well on Amazon and I plan to put the stock 400HZ in the passenger-firewall location and the PIAAs up front. Can anyone else comment on the 3-tone combo?

Edit: installed them today. Thanks to my dad for the use of his heated garage and thanks to all of the threads on here explaining what to do. The horn(s) sounds louder, but I'm not sure if it isn't just because there is now a horn on the other side of the firewall. I'll have to see how inattentive drivers react...

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
What bolt did people use for this? I bought a M6 x 12mm and it seems to be way too long but it was the shortest I could find

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The Toyota part numbers are (Horn Assembly 86510-60240 and Bolt 90080-11545). Together, the "list" price at the dealer was about $60 (gasp).

One note: if you're doing this on a 2011 FJ, PLEASE let me know where you found the wire for the second horn. Neither I nor my dealer can find it, although from the other posts you'll see, it's not hard to find on earlier models.

Chris
Toyota stopped installing the aux. horn wiring on the passenger side in 2009. Those of us installing the aux. horn on newer FJs will have to splice into the horn wire at some point in the run. I installed my aux horn up front for best effect. :rocker:

·
Registered
375 Posts
<snip>

Chris
Can't find this lead on my 2014 either. Another "improvement" for the later models?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Toyota stopped installing the aux. horn wiring on the passenger side in 2009. :rocker:
I have the aux.wiring on my 2010 T.T. Maybe mine slipped by the quality control people @ Toyota.:thinkerg:
Jax':wave:

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Train Horn!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts