Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished my Kenwood radio install a few weeks ago and gathered information using two or three different threads to tap into the factory backup camera while retaining the rearview mirror display. I figured while going through the install I'd take some photos (who doesn't like photos) then compile it into one post with cable colors, pin layout etc to help out the community and save someone from hunting around the forums.

To start my FJ is a 2011, I tapped into the harness behind the driverside left kick panel (passenger side for right hand drive FJ's).

So going in order of pin number...

Pin 7 is the negative video signal, white with random silver/grey markings
Pin 8 is the positive video signal, red with random silver/grey markings
Pin 16 is the reverse trigger wire, red with the yellow stripe and random silver/grey markings

In one of the photos I marked out pins 1-10 and 11-20 then pointed out pins 7, 8 and 16. With the front of the connector facing you and release clip on top (like the photo) count the pins on the front side from left to right and follow it to the back of the plastic connector and they should line up to the colors mentioned above.

As you can see I did three simple taps, spade connectors (not pictured) and three wires up to the radio. I used an extra video RCA harness that came with the idatalink kit cut the extra off and soldered in the three cables I ran into a new three wire harness and connector...yes I'm kind of OCD.

Oh and I'm not responsible for any damages to your car, yourself, wife, kids, pets, in-laws, etc, etc, all the above and below.

Hopefully this helps others in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you for doing this. Have plans to do the same and wanted to keep the rear view in the mirror so it could be put back to stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for this update, I will try on my 2013 TT and post an update as to how it went this coming weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your post. I did it today on my 2012 FJ. It worked perfect with my Pioneer 2440 head unit. I had already updated my rear camera so the image is great and with guidelines !

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually for anyone else that might being pulling their radio out to do this, can I ask for some assistance? Can you test the illumination/dimmer wire on the radio harness and see if there is any kind of voltage with the headlight switch in the OFF position and the ignnition key in the ON position then again with the headlight switch in the OFF position but this time with ignition key in the accessory position?

Trying to figure out why my FJ puts out 1.05volts with the headlight switch in the off position and the ignition key in the ON position.

My post from a couple of weeks ago were I went into details...

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Actually for anyone else that might being pulling their radio out to do this, can I ask for some assistance? Can you test the illumination/dimmer wire on the radio harness and see if there is any kind of voltage with the headlight switch in the OFF position and the ignnition key in the ON position then again with the headlight switch in the OFF position but this time with ignition key in the accessory position?

Trying to figure out why my FJ puts out 1.05volts with the headlight switch in the off position and the ignition key in the ON position.

My post from a couple of weeks ago were I went into details...

Did you get this resolved? I'm probably going to work on the FJ today. Feel free to send me a message or post here with the details on what you need.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you get this resolved? I'm probably going to work on the FJ today. Feel free to send me a message or post here with the details on what you need.
No nothing... If you by chance have access and a volt meter it'd be lots of help. I just want to see if this is normal operation from the FJ or if mine has an underlying issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking to both replace my factory camera AND wire it into my Pioneer head unit. Does anyone have a good link I can follow to replace the factory camera without needing to pull new wires? If it matters, I bought the Pyle camera that seems to be well rated. Amazon.com: Universal Mount Front Rear Camera - Marine Grade Waterproof Built-in Distance Scale Lines Backup Parking/Reverse Assist Cam w/ Night Vision LED Lights 420 TVL Resolution & RCA Output - Pyle PLCM38FRV,Black: Car Electronics

·
Registered
590 Posts
Possibly this thread.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking to both replace my factory camera AND wire it into my Pioneer head unit. Does anyone have a good link I can follow to replace the factory camera without needing to pull new wires? If it matters, I bought the Pyle camera that seems to be well rated. Amazon.com: Universal Mount Front Rear Camera - Marine Grade Waterproof Built-in Distance Scale Lines Backup Parking/Reverse Assist Cam w/ Night Vision LED Lights 420 TVL Resolution & RCA Output - Pyle PLCM38FRV,Black: Car Electronics
Your best bet is to follow the wiring direction within this thread by vdoubleuvr6. You’ll need to buy an rca video cable and cut off one end and connect it to the wires described in this thread. Then just plug the other end into your head unit. This is a picture of mine connected. Using this method allows you to use your factory wiring You will cut the plug off of your factory camera and attach those wires to your new camera.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts