Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the Bilstein shocks, 265x16x70 wheels & tires, are there any other suspension improvements over the non TRD or non off road package? The issue is whether buying a non-off road version (with locking rear difff) and adding aftermarket suspension upgrades such as Old Man EMU upgrade is just as effective - if not more so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Other than the Bilstein shocks, 265x16x70 wheels & tires, are there any other suspension improvements over the non TRD or non off road package? The issue is whether buying a non-off road version (with locking rear difff) and adding aftermarket suspension upgrades such as Old Man EMU upgrade is just as effective - if not more so.
offroad package is just suspension and different rims with bfg rugged trails

i opted to go regular with a-trac and locking diff because i knew i was gonna change rims/tires and suspension anyways

in my opinion if your gonna keep it stock then go with the offroad package and if your gonna change things you might as well save the money on the package and put it towards what your gonna upgrade too

·
Registered
596 Posts
^^^ I agree. As a guy who bought the offroad package and has not one piece of it yet (except the rims), I'd say save the money up front and get better quality after market stuff.

But if you want to stay stock, then it's worth it for the ride quality- definitely better than the non-upgraded shocks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
2011 off road package does not come with upgraded bfg AT tires. It has the stock tires.

2011 off road package(not to be confused with the TRD pkg.) has the trail tuned bilsteins, locking rear, atrac and info display on dash. No tire or wheel upgrade.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah the 2011 All-Terrain package is a serious downgrade from the 2010 IMO... The 16" Alloys are nice and the BFG Rugged Trails are a good tire on and off road more most practical uses...

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'm not sure what they did with the off road package this year, but I did get it on my 08.

I bought it because it came with the 16" wheels and different tires, which I personally liked better than the stock wheels.

I'm not positive, but it may have also included the ATRAC and rear locker, I'll have to look at the options. I guess it came with different shocks, but I've never noticed.

One thing is also had over the stock model was the cyclonic air filter. It's basically a pre-filter that helps remove some of the extra dust in the air.

-C

·
Registered
95 Posts
2011 off road package does not come with upgraded bfg AT tires. It has the stock tires.

2011 off road package(not to be confused with the TRD pkg.) has the trail tuned bilsteins, locking rear, atrac and info display on dash. No tire or wheel upgrade.
Are you certain about this? The dealer I have been in touch with was looking at stock for me and told me that they do. I told him this was a major factor in my decision making process.

zero

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, zeriosum79, I am. The term 'off road' is thrown around a lot. My 2011 window sticker, sometimes called the Monroni sticker, clearly states what the 'Off Road' package, option code OF, has in it.
There are different option packages and they change in content from year to year as do their names. Sometimes the contents may change during the year, but the 2011 just came out so I doubt they changed it this soon. You can also go on line on the toyota site.
For example, for 2011, the 'TRD' package does have TRD 16inch alloys with bfg all terrains in P265/75r16(replacing the stock tires and rims), high speed-tuned TRD Bilsteins and a TRD decals.

From my experience, purchasing over 50 vehicles, it is best to check it out for yourself as dealers usually know less than we do. Few will take the time to actually go out and look at the vehicle and the window sticker.

Please let me know who was wrong about the contents of the 'OF' package.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, zeriosum79, I am. The term 'off road' is thrown around a lot. My 2011 window sticker, sometimes called the Monroni sticker, clearly states what the 'Off Road' package, option code OF, has in it.
There are different option packages and they change in content from year to year as do their names. Sometimes the contents may change during the year, but the 2011 just came out so I doubt they changed it this soon. You can also go on line on the toyota site.
For example, for 2011, the 'TRD' package does have TRD 16inch alloys with bfg all terrains in P265/75r16(replacing the stock tires and rims), high speed-tuned TRD Bilsteins and a TRD decals.

From my experience, purchasing over 50 vehicles, it is best to check it out for yourself as dealers usually know less than we do. Few will take the time to actually go out and look at the vehicle and the window sticker.

Please let me know who was wrong about the contents of the 'OF' package.
Yeah, its confirmed that the dealer salesman was incorrect on the wheels. He apologized to me and said that he just didn't realize there was a change from 2010.

I put down a deposit on the 2011 Trail Teams SE. I am psyched!

zero

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice upgrade zero! Congrats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts