Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the beefiness of the factory rack but let's be real ,the dang thing is just too tall. I would love to be able to just do what I am about to recommend and post pictures to shock everyone but I don't have the resources.

So what about taking the factory rack and essentially turning into a "mini rack" (bottom half only) but cutting the 2nd row of feet off and moving them to the front. Then taking the long section of tubing that was the original top bar and cutting it and re welding it into position. Essentially creating a lower profile factory(beefy) rack. I think it would look sweet, just not sure all the proper angles are there. Of course you would have to repaint/powdercoat to finish it out.

So is this feasible, anyone want to cut up a rack and find out?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts

·
965 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a search, maybe for "mini rack" or something close, there is a mod like that but simpler that's been posted before.
Yeah I have seen that before, but I want the rack to go all the way from front to rear. To me the half rack looks like the FJ is going bald and I already did that at age 20.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dude, that little smilley by your business site looks just like you:pimp:. Take a real good pic of your rack from the side and send it to me so I can study it:thinkerg:. Do a photoshop of what you want it to look like also. We might be able to tear something up.....Mark.

·
Registered
267 Posts
After looking at the complete roof rack comparison thread and studing the way the factory rack is made I don't think it could be done very easily. The back and middle feet are connected to the lower rack. They could be attached to the top but when you cutoff the front feet and remove 3-4 inches it would shorten the overall length of the rack. The front feet would not reach the holes. You could weld in a section to lengthen it, but it would be trial and error. You would need someone with a tig welder that was REAL good with it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have photoshop so I can't do that. You could go about it two ways separate the top pipe of the rack from the bottom and 1) use the whole top piece, front legs would have to be cut to change their angles and then add the back legs or 2) use the bottom half, cutting the middle legs off just past the arches, moving them up to the front then cutting long top tube and using it as a filler to connect where the previous cuts were made.

Wish I had photoshop and skilz to use it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts