Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to replace my bumpers, but I've read I should get sliders first. I'm getting factory rock rails installed Monday. Are "rock rails" and "sliders" the same thing? Are the factory ones any good? ($745 installed)

I'm mainly using my FJ as a daily driver on the highway (L.A.) but I'd like to do some off roading and I'll be doing plenty trips to Baja mostly on unpaved roads. I've never been off roading, but can't wait to try. I live a couple miles from Azusa Canyon and would like to play with my new FJ (auto 4x4) up there, but I'm not sure if my rig is capable or safe right off the lot with out any upgrades. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Read Terry's link.

Yes, get the sliders/rock rails first. You can get factory rock rails here for about $250 for the pair. The install takes about 20 minutes and the seller would probably gladly help you put them on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! That's a huge price difference. Thanx for the info guys!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your rig is very capable as it comes from the dealer. The key is driver skill and experience. A skilled driver can take a stock FJ almost anywhere. Just drive within your abilities and you will be fine.

:rocker:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I personally like the sliders, that don't stick out from the side too much. That way no slip and break leg, in the gap from the sides on some of them.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Got my factory Rock Rails for about $400. After much research that seemed like a good price. Went back to my salesperson and she gave me a discount, plus I didn't have to pay shipping. Installed them myself. Search the Forums for more info about install tips, pros and cons of style, etc., good info available.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Please step aways from the expensive rock rails........

You can easily get a new pair for half of that, and you can install them with the help of a buddy in no time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
$745???? Where did you get that price quote? OEMs seem to be pretty solid. I have heard pretty good things about these stock rails...much better than the reviews of the stock skids. I probably wouldn't pay above $350 for them by themselves. Though they came with my rig, so I probably paid two-grand...

Allpro has a sale on them for $359 a pair. They are bolt on, so just do it yourself. Only takes a few minutes and will save $$$. Here is their link.
All Pro Off Road

ARB offers them too. Or you might be able to buy a used pair of stock rails.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
OK, a couple of you have stated that they can get factory Rock Rails for less than $400. Can you list a vendor or dealer that has factory Rock Rails for less than $400? And how about shipping? Share your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I will vouch for the strength of the stock rails, as last saturday I came down on the pass side pretty hard. No damage other than good trail rash.

BirdMan

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$745???? Where did you get that price quote? OEMs seem to be pretty solid. I have heard pretty good things about these stock rails...much better than the reviews of the stock skids. I probably wouldn't pay above $350 for them by themselves. Though they came with my rig, so I probably paid two-grand...

Allpro has a sale on them for $359 a pair. They are bolt on, so just do it yourself. Only takes a few minutes and will save $$$. Here is their link.
All Pro Off Road

ARB offers them too. Or you might be able to buy a used pair of stock rails.

Thanx for the info! That was the price the dealer gave me with install. I told him I did'nt want em anymore and to give me Lojack instead. There was a $200 + price difference, but they did'nt charge me.:clap:

Drivin down to All Pro next week to pick up some rails and have a buddy help me install. Thanx again for the great info guys! Suspension is next on the list.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts