Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the factory rock sliders on my FJ. How much protection will they provide? Has anyone had them on their FJ and taken any hits?
Thanks

·
Admin
7,113 Posts
Definitely better than nothing though.... I've heard of many members using them for a while with success.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...also, has anyone used them as jack-points?

·
Admin
7,113 Posts
Lifting from the side can be very dangerous... I learned the hard way of course.

As you lift the side the centre of gravity shifts that much sooner rather than lifting on the end.
To illustrate this point you can simply take a toy car and tilt it one way or the other and see what I'm talking about.

Luckily (not luckily?) I had my hand on the top of the hilift and when the jack tilted forward and impacted the side of my buddy's FJ I protected the paint with my hand.
The unlucky part is now I had to lower the jack as my hand was pinned.... and as it lowered it got tighter and tighter of course.... until it finally released.

My plan going forward is that if I have to lift from the side the side door will be open for if/when the jack slips.
It's gotta lift the FJ pretty high because of the suspension droop.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Open the doors if you use a hilift on the side.
Oh. You said that.
It’s under limited circumstances when anyone is going to do this anyway.
More likely you stick the tongue of the jack in the receiver to get unstuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I`ve had them on my FJ for over 13 years now. They have taken several hits and they did their job just fine. I have only used them as a jack point a couple times and they worked fine.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I am of the opinion that they are really quite good for 90 percent of the people. I would imagine that most of the potential impacts for most of the users will be pretty close to the vehicle and won't extend very high. Smallish rocks or maybe a tree stump and the stock bars are well up to that. When I got my dumb a...when I got myself high centered I used the high lift jack to lift the vehicle with the stock sliders. They aren't bent or crushed from lifting the car up onto the opposite two wheels.
That being said, I did meet a guy who has the stock sliders and went out with some FJ40 and 200's. He's got some rock rash in the rear fender bulge. I suspect had he had some of the rock sliders from Pure FJ that have the kick out near the rear wheels, he wouldn't have had the damage. Of course, there's every chance I'm wrong but I tend to agree with my opinion. So the sliders that have the flared end to help push you away from the obstacle make sense to me now. Currently I have the stock sliders but I'm looking at changing them sometime this year.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Factory sliders served me well over the years. Used them as a jacking point many times. I would be less concerned about the slider failing than the hi lift slipping off. That said, I prefer sliders with a kick out (for reasons already mentioned).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've used them as a jack point and they worked fine. Just be careful of the door.

I've never had the full weight of the FJ fall on the sliders, but mine do have a lot of scrapes and one has a small bend where the sliders attach to the frame.

I've also seen a pic of an FJ with what appeared to be most of the weight on the driver side slider. He was high-centered on a boulder bigger than the FJ and had to be winched over it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When doing some suspension work on the front end, I suspended the weight of the FJ on the OEM sliders, as they were the widest jacking points available. No problems whatsoever. Wider may be better for body protection, but then you smack your legs/shins on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts