Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the 2011 rack mounting is the same as previous years?

I just received a Baja Rack, to fit a Columbus roof top tent, and would like to sell my factory rack. I've advertised on craigslist, but would hate to tell someone it'll fit their truck, if it won't!

If anyone here wants a factory rack, let me know!

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I don't know, but just ask a dealer. The parts department knows this kind of stuff. If there's only one part number available for a given thing for multiple years, then you know that one that you have will fit all years listed.

I found this to be true with rear bumper wings.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I also think that they are the same. Please post some photos of your new rack and RTT. Did you already ahve the Columbus? I have been looking at either the Columbus or the Maggiolina Air Top as well as the Baja Rack. I would love to hear your opinion on the Columbus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks....

Given that the aftermarket racks are listed 2007-2011, I'm guessing they are all the same as well. Got a taker, and the old rack is gone, and the new one is mounted.

Grunted through the screw removal, crimeney, why the heck do the make it so frickin difficult!... stripped one, drilled the head off, and still couldn't free it with a visegrip. Cut it down with a dremel, and abandoned it.

The flat Baja Rack went on very easily. Now I know why others are installing noise damping stuff in the roof liner. The factory rack made no noise that I was aware of, but I can hear noise starting at only 30MPH with the Baja, and it's objectionable even at 45 MPH. Hopefully the noise will go down with the tent installed, otherwise I'll be doing something about the noise as well.

Don't have the tent yet... this week hopefully.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Not sure if the noise is the same as on my gobi rack.... But once you install lights it cuts it down a lot. I don't have lights yet, but instead a filler plate that is the same size as a light. The RTT should cut it down quite a bit though

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Wow, that's cool.
What road can you go 85 on in Northern Colorado?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Indeed. That's why I was wondering how they were going 85.
Not that I don't understand 'how' it can be done, but.....oh [email protected], you know what I mean. :p

Not trying to be a ninny....just sayin...

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looking to get the same Baja rack. What are people doing to dampen the noise? I'm not going to put any lights on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are a dozen or so round bars situated across the width of the rack. Unless you have the rack loaded so that air doesn't flow across those bars, you are going to get lots of noise... a small wind dam at the front isn't going to do much of anything!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wonder if a quick removable large piece of plastic (4ft x 4ft ) over all the bars towards the front would help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So do you know for sure that the older roof racks fit the 2011? I called the parts department at the local Toyota and the numbers don't match. Apparently the 2011 rack fits the 2010, but not before "according to the part numbers". Anyone had luck with this? I have one available for a great price, but it is a small drive away and I don't want to waste my time or money. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts