Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
that's the reason I bought an FJ without the roof rack, I didn't necessarily like the looks of it and driving the interstate its noisy and drags the gas mileage down

·
Registered
47 Posts
it's a shame that you can barely find one on the lot without the rack already on it. I immediately replaced my wife's with a low profile Baja rack. It is more attractive, quieter and creates less turbulence. It fits under the garage door easily and is strong enough to carry anything you want. I traveled from Texas to Glacier Nat park and back last summer and slept on it on numerous occasions. The only drawback is cleaning under it.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
There are many great alternatives out there. They may not "look or sound as good" on the highway but they are functional. I replaced mine with a Baja Utility Rack and am very pleased.

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
There are many great alternatives out there. They may not "look or sound as good" on the highway but they are functional. I replaced mine with a Baja Utility Rack and am very pleased.
Nice pic. Round about...how much was that conversion? How far up does the Baja rack need to put in the supports?

Awhile back ago when I first got mine I got a sunroof instead with the OEM rack and now fear that the OEM rack will be the only rack I can have now.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Thanks! The Baja Utility Rack has minimal clearance above the roof. Bolting down the Autohome Roof Top Tent was a major pain in the knuckles. There is very little room between the rack and the roof in places.In other areas it is fine. This is due to the rack being flat and the curve of the roof. Once you remove the OEM rack, the Baja Rack feet fit perfectly in the same place. Check out their website to see images of the cross members. They would block out some of the sky in a sunroof but for around $750, I have a rack that I can stand on, carry plywood, canoes and roof top tents. For me it was well worth it. By the way, Toshiro Mifune is the man!

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
Thanks! The Baja Utility Rack has minimal clearance above the roof. Bolting down the Autohome Roof Top Tent was a major pain in the knuckles. There is very little room between the rack and the roof in places.In other areas it is fine. This is due to the rack being flat and the curve of the roof. Once you remove the OEM rack, the Baja Rack feet fit perfectly in the same place. Check out their website to see images of the cross members. They would block out some of the sky in a sunroof but for around $750, I have a rack that I can stand on, carry plywood, canoes and roof top tents. For me it was well worth it. By the way, Toshiro Mifune is the man!
It certainly is more functional than the OEM version. It looks like the sunroof would fit right underneath it as well. I'm going to have to do more research and see if I can sell this OEM as well. It's hard enough to give it away...

My avatar epitomizes me the best from my screen name, what a Ronin or Yojimbo does. Toshiro was the Man. :cheers:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ditto on that! At firs I was sad my FJ didn't come with one, but now I'm happy cause the Baja Rack and the Auto home Columbus is a marriage made in heaven :) :rocker:

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
I tried searching for it again but it was an epic fail. There was either a Gobi or Baja rack extension that worked already with the original OEM rack. It extended the OEM's reach a bit and may be the cheaper alternative both money and time. Does anyone know about it and/or where to find it?

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
it's junk, i put in a baja rack basket which helps, but in hindsight i would have opted for no rack and gon straight aftermarket.
X2. The basket helps alot though.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I am going to have to Disagree!
I use mine all the time! From luggage, to plywood/lumber to full size box spring and matress!
I dont like the "look" of MOST other roof racks out there!

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
An air dam on the front capable of supporting some weight would have helped alot, IMO.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Never attempted to use mine, but then, I've only owned the rig for a week.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I wish it was more easily removable and had less worry about losing the parts in the headliner or having leaks. Sure I can seal it up, but should I really have to?

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I tried searching for it again but it was an epic fail. There was either a Gobi or Baja rack extension that worked already with the original OEM rack. It extended the OEM's reach a bit and may be the cheaper alternative both money and time. Does anyone know about it and/or where to find it?
Ronin, the only thing I can think of is the BajaRack basket, which fits into the void in the factory rack. It's on Baja's website under the FJC area. It's about $425 as I recall. I have it and in my opinion makes the factory rack more functional. Easy to install (easier with 2 people, but I did mine alone).

As to Toshiro Mifuni, all I can say is Hai, Toranaga-sama! :ninja:

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
Ronin, the only thing I can think of is the BajaRack basket, which fits into the void in the factory rack. It's on Baja's website under the FJC area. It's about $425 as I recall. I have it and in my opinion makes the factory rack more functional. Easy to install (easier with 2 people, but I did mine alone).

As to Toshiro Mifuni, all I can say is Hai, Toranaga-sama! :ninja:
Good to know. It's still cheaper than ripping the OEM out and replacing it.

So Wakarimasen, Arigato Oziamashti! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Just got this one in the mail - Garvin Adventure Rack XL

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
^^. Hey, I like that! Is it steel or aluminum? If steel, zinc coated? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts