Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a used OEM subwoofer. I am anxious to install it, however, I have been looking for ways to get around the factory switch in order to save $60.

It does not seem to be a particularly popular mod. Tho I did notice two forum members have tried a hack which is displayed in the picture attached. It is my understanding that this method has not proven to be very effective as it causes problems when the head unit is cranked to high volumes.

So i thought of another possible 'hack'. I know very little about this kind of stuff tho, and need your input.

Instead of cutting the purple wire and tapping into the grey ACC wire I am thinking of using a different switch (something from Radioshack). Would i be able to do this? If not, any other recommendations?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've had issues but only with my tube doors on

Thank you for your post but Bandi figured it all out, i will be testing it tomorrow and seeing if it works.

Thanks again partner!!

I say go for it and try something new with a switch post up what ya do:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so heres what i did to get my subwoofer to work :bigthumb:

I inserted a 'terminal' (not sure what its called) into the subwoofer-plug to complete the circuit and make sure the sub works. The subwoofer immediately came on. All of a sudden i realised i don't even need a switch.

So i cut the back end of the 'terminal off' and inserted back into the subwoofer-plug where it will permenantly remain.

However, I may add a regular old radioshack switch later if i feel the need to turn the subwoofer on and off. Assuming this method wont give me any problems down the road (like some of the other users with a somewhat similar hack) i don't see how a regular old switch from radio shack could do any harm.

Anyways, easy way to save $60 :cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
An on off switch is nice. When you have passengers in the back seat and on a heavy song the Sub is loud enough to be very annoying in the back seat. When i have back seat passengers i always turn it off.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An on off switch is nice. When you have passengers in the back seat and on a heavy song the Sub is loud enough to be very annoying in the back seat. When i have back seat passengers i always turn it off.
Turning the bass down isn't enough?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Turning the bass down isn't enough?
Meh, you can. I have an aftermarket Nav/dvd headunit. I can't turn down the bass on just the subwoofer, i'd have to do it for all speakers, then it doesn't sound good.

Plus it's much faster :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
What do you mean by tube doors?
Tube doors are metal tube doors designed to be put on in place of the normal driver and passenger main door. You loose the two door speakers when putting on tube doors.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Greg can you load up larger pics of what you actually did? I'd like to get rid of my wire splice and do what you did if it turns out it works perfectly. THANKS for jumping into this and getting it done.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
GENIUS I'm unsplicing mine and doing this!!! DUR so freaking simple!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
So when you got the factory sub are all FJs wired in the rear for the sub to be mounted in the factory location. Contemplating finding me one as mine doesn't have it. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm interested in this too. Also how do you get the blank switch out. Or the piece of plastic that fills the hole where the switch goes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts