Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thanks to all the hard core off roaders that have posted their experiences/pictures on the forum. There is a lava road (called gray road by Kapoho) that runs along the coast and it has some decent dropoffs and craggly sections. I am not sure I would have tried them without seeing what the FJ is capable of here on the forum. This road is nothing compared to what you nut cases are doing so I am not getting in over my head, but it is nice to be able to hit the sections without being nervous. There is one section on the edge of a cliff that seems a little crazy, maybe one day I will post pics when I go through it. I know the FJ can handle it, just the thought of being close to the edge and dropping into the Pacific is a little daunting.

Mahalo and Rock On
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Chaseman said:
Just a thanks to all the hard core off roaders that have posted their experiences/pictures on the forum. There is a lava road (called gray road by Kapoho) that runs along the coast and it has some decent dropoffs and craggly sections. I am not sure I would have tried them without seeing what the FJ is capable of here on the forum. This road is nothing compared to what you nut cases are doing so I am not getting in over my head, but it is nice to be able to hit the sections without being nervous. There is one section on the edge of a cliff that seems a little crazy, maybe one day I will post pics when I go through it. I know the FJ can handle it, just the thought of being close to the edge and dropping into the Pacific is a little daunting.

Mahalo and Rock On
Chaseman,

You're not allowed to post a thread like that without many many pictures. We're dying over here!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,928 Posts
With Hula dancers in coconut tops and those guys that spin the flaming sticks. I saw it when the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii, but I want to see it all with the FJC dang it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2tonka said:
Chaseman,

You're not allowed to post a thread like that without many many pictures. We're dying over here!
OK, OK ... But these are bunny slopes compared to all the other pix I have seen.

Sorry No Video I refuse to do the research into finding a proper digital camcorder just so I can drop a few thousand dollars.

No Hula girls or Bradys but plenty of Aloha.

Start of the lava road. First time we got here in our old element it put itself in reverse and started shaking in fear. It is now sitting on a used lot looking rather lonely, 6 weeks and counting.
fjseries02.jpg
This is part of the shore line on the way to a thermal pond. Stepping out of the truck is quite tranquil here.
fjseries26.jpg
Honu - this guy/girl, who can tell, just had a failed attempt at getting back into the open sea. The turtles stay in the thermal pond at night and can ony get out during high tide. On a good day you can snorkel with 7 of them in clear water.
fj-series01.jpg
Here is the the section that is a tight fit. There is no perspective on the grade of the road, but it does lean to the bad side. On a plus note this is the eastern most point of the island and the air is very clean as it travels thousands of miles over the open sea.
fj-series02.jpg
Rainbow Falls, you can get here by paved roads as it is right in Hilo, still nice to look at.
fj-series03.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Nice shots! Bunny slopes? Whatever man, I'm sure any would agree - some pix are better then none. Love the nature. You are one of the few that will ever experience an FJ in the islands, so you're blessed :)

All the best

Aloha brah, (what do they say over there?) "How you stay?" "You're ride is DaKine brah" :) -CA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CACressida said:
Holy $hit! I wanna ship my FJ to hawaii for a month long vacation. I'd run all over the island with my FJ!!
So many places to see. We keep getting caught up with the day to day stuff we haven't been exploring with the FJ nearly as much as we would like. I am hoping for an active summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Chaseman said:
So many places to see. We keep getting caught up with the day to day stuff we haven't been exploring with the FJ nearly as much as we would like. I am hoping for an active summer.
I have to ask. How much is gas there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
khoi911 said:
I have to ask. How much is gas there?
It changes daily, but I think around 3.67-3.90 for premium. The prices are really volatile here they can change 30 cents in a few days. I barely ever look at the price as no matter how much it costs it has to go in the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Chaseman said:
It changes daily, but I think around 3.67-3.90 for premium. The prices are really volatile here they can change 30 cents in a few days. I barely ever look at the price as no matter how much it costs it has to go in the tank.
3.67 - 3.90 is not too bad. I thought it would be worse.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top