Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the benefit of others, I thought I'd post these pics. Couldn't find exactly this combo in photos before I purchased these tires to replace my original Dunlops.

For reference:
- 2008 FJC auto 4x4 in Sandstorm
- totally stock suspension except Airlift helper bags in rear coils (mostly deflated in these photos)
- ARB roof rack which necessitated keeping the stock tire size - It won't fit in the garage with any more lift
- This size is a E load rated tire. This is important for me since I will be towing

I may end up posting more on this thread about these tires as I use them. For now, what I can say is I'm very happy with the purchase as well as the on-road behavior. They're at least as quiet as the Dunlops and take turns just fine (yeah, those silly things were important to me).

Hoping to say more about their wet performance and of course off-road prowess in the coming months. Other reviews seem to indicate I won't be disappointed.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I'll be interested to hear your impressions after putting some miles on them. These are high on my list of possible tire choices when the stock tires need replacing. And I plan to stay with the stock size as well. Would you mind telling us where you got them and approx how much you paid? :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you mind telling us where you got them and approx how much you paid?
I went with Sears Automotive of all places. After some haggling, they price matched Discount Tire, but more importantly it allowed me to use a bunch of saved up Sears Gift Cards. I was really planning to use those for a neat tool, but decided to use for these instead.

The installer had trouble getting the beads to seat properly. I was waiting there most of the morning while he wrestled with the 5 wheels. His machine didn't allow him enough pressure with the stiff sidewall and cold temperature. My guess is if I had used my local Discount Tire (or any dedicated tire shop), it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

After more driving on the highway, there is a very slight shimmy above ~58mph. It took me a while to notice it. The tires balanced with minimal weight (with the exception of the one on the driver's rear). The shop installed the tires at 35psi. Seems low for an "E" tire. I brought them up to 40psi now and will test again. I'll raise in 5psi increments to see if any change occurs. I have never had the FJ aligned, so it's probably due for that too (I used to notice a subtle pull with Dunlops which seems to be gone now on the Falkens).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

First, apologies for the late update. I've been meaning to come back to this thread to update and am just getting around to that now. For my penance, I'll throw in a couple of updated photos of the package.

The shimmy was indeed caused by the tires being out of balance. However, it was good at the time the tires were initially balanced. It became a problem because so much "goop" was used when the tire installer had to wrestle these tires on the rim that once I drove away just after installation, the wheels rotated inside the tire, thus throwing off the balance that was performed just moments before. Evidently this is common. I had them rebalanced and no issues since.

Since installation I've driven 3,500 miles and performed a 5-tire rotation once. I had the FJ up in the air in my driveway for the 30k mi service I performed, so thought I'd throw a tire rotation in for good measure.

I've been very happy with these tires. Wear is good, but it's only been 3.5k miles. The wet performance is exceptionally better than the OEM Dunlops. I've had several occasions to drive in rain since new and I'm always impressed with this tire's bite.

The road noise couldn't be better. It's really amazing considering the semi-aggressive nature of the tread pattern. I am pleased I resisted my initial urge to go with a super aggressive mud terrain. This is my daily driver.

The only thing I haven't done is take them off road. That's unfortunate, but we just had our second child so it'll likely be a few more months before I get to use them in anger in dirt.

I'm the type of guy that likes trying out new tires for the sake of trying something new. I've owned a bunch a different sets of tires over the years on a gagillion cars (I'm a car guy that likes to run track events). I've never replaced a set of tires with the same set the next time because I've always felt I could do better. The point I'm getting to is, barring some unforeseen reason like the Wildpeaks suck offroad (unlikely based on what I've read) or I decided to raise my FJ to the heavens (also unlikely due to garage constraints) I really believe that I'm going to want to replace these tires someday with the same set. They're that good. Someone will have to pull up this thread years from now and hold me to it. I would purchase these again if I had to do over.

As promised, pics (I've since added Demello Hybrid sliders :king:):

1 - 6 of 6 Posts