Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get some recommendation of any good parks that would be nice to go to for a weekend and camp with my younger brother.

I'm thinking of a place that would have activities like hiking, fishing,biking a place that could be fun for a 14 years old.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Lake Livingston.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Big Bend :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you are looking for someting a little closer there is perdenales falls, colorado bend state park, pace bend (not so great hiking there but you can go to hamilton's pool not far away). Of those i think colorado bend has the most hiking.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Enchanted Rock is a sweet place, no biking or fishing but plenty of hiking and caving and not to far from Fredericksburg to enjoy some decent food and beer.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'm thinking of a place that would have activities like hiking, fishing,biking a place that could be fun for a 14 years old.
Don't you need a XBOX, or PS3 to entertain a 14 year old? And I'm sure none of the best hiking/camping areas have decent broadband access, so how will he Facebook and Tweet about what he is doing?

Sorry, I'm just getting old and grumpy. Why didn't you bring him out to Gilmer, it not exactly hiking, but I did spend a lot of time walking around in the mud.

Hope you find a good place!
-C

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't you need a XBOX, or PS3 to entertain a 14 year old? And I'm sure none of the best hiking/camping areas have decent broadband access, so how will he Facebook and Tweet about what he is doing?

Sorry, I'm just getting old and grumpy. Why didn't you bring him out to Gilmer, it not exactly hiking, but I did spend a lot of time walking around in the mud.

Hope you find a good place!
-C
We don't game at my house we have a PS3 which all it does is play movies.

As for Gilmer it was more for the wife and I he probably would have been pretty bored since there were not many kids his age.

Finally the objective of this trip is for him and I to hang out and to make sure the changes that are coming to the trailer workout.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to agree with the previous poster about enchanted rock! When I was a kid, my parents made a few trips up to it and it was beautiful. I loved the scenery and the landscape of the hill country. Ultimately I ended up coming up here to Texas State in San Marcos so I am only an hour and a half away from fredericksburg. I have also been out to Brazos Bend State Park, and it sounds a little more like what you are looking for. It has some bike trails, lots of hiking, and definitely some canouing and kayaking for you as well. I would check it out, the only problem I could see is that it isn't as far away as 4 hours from Houston.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4504_0110w.pdf

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Enchanted Rock is a sweet place, no biking or fishing but plenty of hiking and caving and not to far from Fredericksburg to enjoy some decent food and beer.
Ya, Enchanted Rock is great! My wife and I stop there for a hike every time we pass anywhere near that area when we're on vacation down yonder.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
We don't game at my house we have a PS3 which all it does is play movies.

As for Gilmer it was more for the wife and I he probably would have been pretty bored since there were not many kids his age.

Finally the objective of this trip is for him and I to hang out and to make sure the changes that are coming to the trailer workout.
If you are bringing the trailer i am pretty sure enchanted rock is out.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well, if you want to get out of the flatlands and into the hills drive up to Arkansas.

I'd recommend Lake Quachita. Beautiful lake and tons of places to camp, fish etc. It's also close to Hot Springs AR which is sitting on Lake Hamilton (also pretty but very busy). Hot springs has tons of stuff to do from amusement parks, historic sites, Superlift park etc. if your into that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
278 Posts
PaloDuro Canyon SP offers good camping and excellent hiking. Its quite a haul from Houston but it is unique and still in Texas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Well, if you want to get out of the flatlands and into the hills drive up to Arkansas.

I'd recommend Lake Quachita. Beautiful lake and tons of places to camp, fish etc. It's also close to Hot Springs AR which is sitting on Lake Hamilton (also pretty but very busy). Hot springs has tons of stuff to do from amusement parks, historic sites, Superlift park etc. if your into that kind of stuff.
I am actually planning a small trip with a group of friends to go there in March!

Just talked to them all tonight.

Gonna camp on one of the islands, catch some fish, and wakeboard.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am actually planning a small trip with a group of friends to go there in March!

Just talked to them all tonight.

Gonna camp on one of the islands, catch some fish, and wakeboard.

Sweet. It's an awesome place. For some reason I haven't been down there in a few years. I may have to make a trip this summer myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts