Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, hats off to Wesayso for having the original idea.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/62064-wesaysos-mileage-log.html

I thought it would be fun to document the progression of a total newb who can barely handle the clutch over next couple of months.

My toy (and only ride) is an FJC Trail Teams Special Edition 6M/T 2010. The only noteworthy accessory is a factory - supplied roof rack; there are no modifications whatsoever.

This thread will begin with my FJC's 4th trip to the gas station + 2nd documented odometer reading.

I JUST got comfortable with basic shifting, with RPMs close to what fellow forumite acruxksa quoted: 1500 RPM when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, and 2000 - 2500 RPM passing 2nd gear. Haven't gotten the optimal engine sound just yet; still have some throwbacks to the A/T days, wherein one tends to overuse the throttle.

City >> Interstate
65 mph max
579 - 433 miles
87 octane
10.591 gal
$2.939 / gal

13.79 mpg at 19 cents / mile

Far from the advertised 15 / 19 mpg claim. Ridiculously off the mark in comparison to my previous vehicle, a Camry CE 4 - cylinder A/T 2007.

This is probably going to hurt...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Farmer Brown,

Well if misery loves company, I'm here for you! I also have a 2010 TT, though an auto transmission, with roofrack, and no other heavy or performance related modifications. Take a look at mine:

Spike62's Fuelly Page

I have been consciously trying not to over-rev her, performing slow take offs and letting the gears shift at or under 2000 RPM. Though it is not always possible (entering highway, passing, etc.), I have been pretty mild on the gas pedal.

It is the opinion of others in this forum that there is a "Break-in" period that may affect mileage. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading your comments...

This is probably going to hurt... ALOT!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Give yourself some time to get used to the feel of the new engine/transmission. Mileage should improve some with a bit of break-in. Even with a lift, bumper, etc, I still can average about 17 with my 08 MT.

·
Registered
181 Posts
:clap:if you are on flat ground take off in second then skip shift you do not need to use all the gears if you know what you are doing
go 2nd
4th then 5 6 probably only use 6 on highway i might be rong but that is what i did in my pete and kw
thay had 16 gears only needed 4 of them when empty:wave:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your mileage looks the same as I was getting initially. I was getting 13.5-14.5 mpg. Once I broke 1000 miles, I think, my mileage started getting better by .5-1.5 mpg every tank. I average 17.5-18 mpg now at 3500 miles with about 50-50 hwy/city. With gas getting changed over from the crappy winter blend to the summer blend I figure I should see 18-19, but time will tell.

Fortunately I only had a semi-economical car for the last four years. Every other vehicle I was happy to get 13 mpg. So the FJ mileage wasn't to hard to adjust to.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's all about throttle technique I get 18mpg w/285/75r-16's, a 3"lift, and full bud skids. I do the usual shenanigans slow to start and quick to coast, use the cruise and so on. If I stop paying attention however my mileage goes to 14 or so.

I use a scangauge and it has helped immensely in teaching me to drive the FJ at its max potential.

Enjoy your new rig and don't worry about the clutch to much it takes time and patience but you'll get the hang of it. The real trick then will be driving an auto.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Interstate >> City; crawling for roughly a quarter of the total mileage
65 mph max
665 - 579 miles
87 octane
5.465 gal
$2.939 / gal

15.74 mpg at 36 cents / mile

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Mostly City
50 mph max
794 - 665 miles
87 octane
8.714 gal
$2.919 / gal

14.80 mpg at 12 cents / mile

·
Registered
624 Posts
It would be interesting to see what kind of mileage you'd get on a tank of premium. We know they advertise the 2010 as taking regular (heck, they ended up doing that on the 07-09s) but at least with my 07, I get 2 mpg more when using premium. It's still a high compression motor that makes more power with premium (ie 4 Runner), it wouldn't be inconceivable that it runs more efficiently on premium. The FJ was my first stick and before I put my KM2s on, I could get 20 mpg driving it gingerly.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be interesting to see what kind of mileage you'd get on a tank of premium.
I'll try it out, just to see how it goes... but I think wesayso (see first post) did that in his thread, and noted that there was no difference.

How many miles will I get when the fuel tank starts blinking red (need to make sure I have enough fuel to reach the gas station)? I intend to fill the tank entirely with Premium next time.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I'll try it out, just to see how it goes... but I think wesayso (see first post) did that in his thread, and noted that there was no difference.

How many miles will I get when the fuel tank starts blinking red (need to make sure I have enough fuel to reach the gas station)? I intend to fill the tank entirely with Premium next time.
Interesting... blinking red fuel light? My 07 has a steady glow amber low fuel light. Anyways, when it gets low enough for the light to come on there is typically 3-4 gallons left at that point. I would try to avoid running it that low on fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Interesting... blinking red fuel light?
I misspoke. I've only seen it going steady red on my Camry, not in this vehicle. Haven't ever gotten to that point yet.

The gas station is around 5 blocks down from where I work, downhill at that... Shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got all the numbers down from my early morning run over to the next state with a propane tank hooked up to the fuel injectors.

I'll post the mod as soon as I could get some pictures and apply for one of those online photo accounts; the setup is actually far simpler than it seems, but I do have some concerns with safety and it being street - legal. Issues aside, I'm pretty excited about it; not bad for a newbie mod!

Mostly Interstate
65 mph max
1092 - 794 miles
87 octane
10.762 gal
$2.919 / gal

27.69 mpg!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Give yourself some time to get used to the feel of the new engine/transmission. Mileage should improve some with a bit of break-in. Even with a lift, bumper, etc, I still can average about 17 with my 08 MT.
Even after 3 years, I still carry my toolboxes, tools, parts, rattlecans, wiring looms, etc in my truck as a reminder t finish my mods.

Mileage wise: if I' driving off of main roads (to avoid being shot for driving slow), take off & stop very gently, pay constant attention to RPMs and the unique shift points created by my particular size tires and the complicating fator of a supercharger, on level ground, at a constant speed, I figure I can get 14.

In the real world, I have a heavy foot, and a supercharger. Go figure.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Got all the numbers down from my early morning run over to the next state with a propane tank hooked up to the fuel injectors.

I'll post the mod as soon as I could get some pictures and apply for one of those online photo accounts; the setup is actually far simpler than it seems, but I do have some concerns with safety and it being street - legal. Issues aside, I'm pretty excited about it; not bad for a newbie mod!

Mostly Interstate
65 mph max
1092 - 794 miles
87 octane
10.762 gal
$2.919 / gal

27.69 mpg!
There have been a few people that have done LPG conversions, here's one of the threads: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/84019-hybrid-fj-cruiser-lpg-liquid-perolium-gas.html

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It would be interesting to see what kind of mileage you'd get on a tank of premium.

Mostly City
50 mph max
1008 - 794 miles
87 octane
15.015 gal
$3.199 / gal

14.25 mpg at 12 cents / mile

Drove till the "empty" indicator lit up. Filled the tank with 93 Octane.

Since all numbers reflect the here and now with only mileage and cents / mile referencing previous values, performance with 93 Octane will be determined at the next fill.

So much for my April Fools' joke re: LPG.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So much for my April Fools' joke re: LPG.
Au contraire! (pardon my French)

I figured you actually did it, and felt a pang of jealousy. Sometimes the best jokes are the ones nobody gets. But then again, I amuse the sh!t out of myself. :)

I'm letting my tank run way down this time, just out of hope that the extra mileage is at the bottom and I've been missing it by filling with a 1/4 tank left. (BTW, that is a joke.)

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not quite sure how you're getting such low MPG on a stock rig. Surely the BFG's aren't that bad on MPG. My stock 08 MT gets 17MPG almost on the nose every tank and I drive it like it's a racecar every day. Even with my AFE intake and shifting at high RPM's, I still get no less than 16MPG. I have yet to get less than 260-270 miles on a full tank of gas (I always refill at 16-17 gallons at the station, don't like running on E for too long). Hopefully when I finally wear down my Dunlops and trade up for a good AT/MT tire my MPG won't go down too terribly much.

Also I've driven on 87 and 93 and there seems to be negligible, if no difference at all in MPG.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts