Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One minor problem. When I lace my briefcase weighing about 20 lbs. on the passenger seat, sometimes it activates the annoying "fasten your seatbelt" beeper. Is it supposed to be this sensitive?

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Re: Fasten seatbelt

Seat belt chime
1. Turn the ignition switch on (without starting car)
2. Press the ODO/TRIP switch until the odometer displays "ODO"
3. Turn the ignition switch off
4. Turn the ignition switch on
5. Press ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds after turning the power switch ON) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.
6. Continue holding the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front passenger's seat belt.
7. Check that the odometer displays either "b-on" or "b-off" (it will be "b-on")
8. Press the ODO/TRIP button to change the display to "b-off".
9. Turn the ignition switch off.
10. Turn the ignition switch on while depressing the brake pedal.
11. Check that no buzzer sounds when setting on the front passenger seat.

So sayeth the mighty repair manual... your mileage may vary... items are sold by weight and not by volume, so settlement may have occured during shipment... professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt... etc., ad nauseum. This is not to be construed as legal advice, if you need real legal advice, consult a real lawyer....they need the money!

Love YA, Mean it!

·
Registered
260 Posts

Rover is God --- thank you, from all of us, who have been cringing at the sound of the damn thing, I prefer to buckle up as I'm backing up or heading out. This will do the trick.... then I'll have to look up that thread on changing the stero colors at night.

·
Registered
70 Posts

RoverGGM said:
Seat belt chime
5. Press ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds after turning the power switch ON) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.
6. Continue holding the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front passenger's seat belt.
7. Check that the odometer displays either "b-on" or "b-off" (it will be "b-on")

So sayeth the mighty repair manual... your mileage may vary... items are sold by weight and not by volume, so settlement may have occured during shipment... professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt... etc., ad nauseum. This is not to be construed as legal advice, if you need real legal advice, consult a real lawyer....they need the money!

Love YA, Mean it!
The only way I could get this to work was by inserting the following steps between #4 & 5

4a. Activate the parking sensor
4b. Turn on the radio
4c. Set the volume to 13
4d. Select the AUX audio source
4e. Lower the passanger window
4f. Open the rear door window latch
4g. Place hand over passenger side parking sensor for 5 seconds

and then continue with step 5.

Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts

RoverGGM said:
Seat belt chime

Love YA, Mean it!
Will this work for the driver's side as well?

·
Registered
982 Posts

RoverGGM said:
Seat belt chime

Love YA, Mean it!
Rover, thanks for confirming the exact set of steps my intuition told me to take. I don't know why I didn't just try that - it's so obvious.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

JohnGalt said:
Rover, thanks for confirming the exact set of steps my intuition told me to take. I don't know why I didn't just try that - it's so obvious.
YES,
But, did it Git 'er done??

·
Registered
70 Posts

No. These steps didn't work for me. I tried this several times last night and couldn't ever get to the B-on or B-off message. That was buried in my reply of all the extra steps.

If someone gets' this to work, I'd love to hear fom them.

·
Registered
67 Posts

brianljohnson said:
No. These steps didn't work for me. I tried this several times last night and couldn't ever get to the B-on or B-off message. That was buried in my reply of all the extra steps.

If someone gets' this to work, I'd love to hear fom them.
It did not work for me either. This is the procedure listed in the owner's manual, but they must have changed something along the way? The chime is a major PITA, if necessary I will go behind the dash to find the source.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It works. I did it last night. The step- "2. Press the ODO/TRIP switch until the odometer displays "ODO"", doesn't mean the numbers will disappear. Just have to put odometer off trip A or B and on odometer. Once I stop waiting for big ODO to appear, it worked.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

RoverGGM said:
Seat belt chime

Love YA, Mean it!
Thank you so much Rover!

·
Registered
11 Posts

I alway fasten my seat belt.Did you know that my dad says that there is a little motor in the seat so when you crash instead of the seat belt just locking it lock you and pulls you back. You should thank p4cruiser cause he is my dad and he told me that.

·
Registered
70 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about in getting hte ODO/Trip display to ODO with no numbers being displayed. Do you turn the ingnition switch to off very quickly when you get to the ODO display mode? Any news on whether this kind of procedure works on the drivers side seat belt?

I like my 93 FJ80 where all I have to look at is the seat belt indicator light on the dash to know I need to fasten it. Hopefully we can get the FJC to do the same.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Call me stupid but I finally figured this out. I was trying to make this work for the passenger seat belt while executing the instructions from the DRIVERS SEAT. When I looked in the owners manual, it shows these instructions for both drivers and passenger front seat belt alarms/buzzers. The passenger seat belt buzzer settings can only be changed when you have someone sitting in the passenger seat. The drivers seat belt buzzer can be changed as well when you execute the instructions from the drivers seat.

With the B-Off setting configured, the drivers seat belt buzzer will only sound when you start when you first start your FJC. Subsequent buzzer sounds are eliminated by the b-Off setting. The passenger buzzer is eliminated completely when the b-Off setting is in place.

Happy cruising.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

RoverGGM said:
Seat belt chime

Love YA, Mean it!
bump bump

·
Registered
66 Posts

Rover, I owe you a beer. I followed the manuals instructions several times without success. Your's worked first time. Now how do you change the radio's display colors? Get that one right and I'll bet you can tell us the secret to getting lower gas prices.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

jtratza said:
Rover, I owe you a beer. I followed the manuals instructions several times without success. Your's worked first time. Now how do you change the radio's display colors? Get that one right and I'll bet you can tell us the secret to getting lower gas prices.
That's in the manual. With Radio off, hold text button until text appears. Turn radio on turn small knob on right of radio to scroll through colors.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

I have the stock stereo and not the upgraded 6disc player. The color is orange. I tried to change the color, but was unable to. I turned off the radio, then press the text button and held it. It never came on. Checked the manuel and it says it only works with the type 2 stereo? hmmm. Did get the seat belt chime to turn off after 2nd try using RoverGMs instructions. Thanks!

·
Registered
854 Posts

Slab said:
One minor problem. When I lace my briefcase weighing about 20 lbs. on the passenger seat, sometimes it activates the annoying "fasten your seatbelt" beeper. Is it supposed to be this sensitive?
I had a similar problem- The way I take care of it is by drinking 5 beers. Works every time. Only its not a breifcase- for me its a twelve pack that sets it off.

1 - 20 of 327 Posts