Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the guy from Lenior City that crashed his FJ into a grader on I-75? Ron

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Lenoir City man killed in Loudon Co. crash on I-75

LOUDON COUNTY (WATE) -- A Lenoir City man was killed Thursday afternoon in a crash on I-75 northbound in Loudon County.

Dr. Daniel R. Koelsch was killed in the crash at mile marker 69 around 1:00 p.m.

Koelsch was driving a 2008 Toyota FJC SUV when he veered off the left hand side of the roadway, traveled 350 feet in median, then hit an unoccupied 2001 Caterpillar road grader in the rear.

Koelsch's SUV caught fire.

Investigators requested blood tests. They say wasn't wearing a seat belt.

All the northbound traffic were blocked for about three hours while officers and emergency workers cleared the scene.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
that's really sad :(

always wear your seatbelt, people...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well that is sad news for someone with a special vehicle, wonder what kind of projects he had on his mind for his FJ? My heart goes out to his Family. About two years ago we had a casualty with another FJ, Drunk bus driver hit him head on same thing went through my mind.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
wow scary thats the 1st ive heard of a FJ catching fire in a crash.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wow scary thats the 1st ive heard of a FJ catching fire in a crash.

Worked as a civillian medic for a while before joining the Army and assure you that you hit a road grader hard enough in ANY vehicle, it will catch fire.
I've even seen tanks burn (back to Army times...) after a hard enough impact...

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

·
Premium Member
17,099 Posts
Really sad to hear.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Didn't intend to bump a thread like this up, but I was driving back from spring city to Knoxville and passed this about 30 minutes after it happened before they stopped traffic completely. It was frightening looking at what was left of that FJ, the only way I could even tell it was an FJ was because of the remains of the rim left on the back door. The rubber was burnt off of all 5 tires as well as the whole truck must have been engulfed in flames. Please everyone, buckle up and be careful out there! I'm not sure what made him veer off the road seeing as how it was the middle of the day, or if a seatbelt would have even helped, but there was an 18 wheeler stopped in the left lane right where it happened. Not sure if he stopped to help or if he was involved in some way, but I figured reading this thread again could serve as another safety reminder to buckle up!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
That is really F'ed up and preventalble. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Like everyone else has said. When in 'the race of life' always buckle your safety harness (or you'll see your 'Pit Manager' sooner than you'd like.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Very unfortunate. Could happen to any of us.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Well that is sad news for someone with a special vehicle, wonder what kind of projects he had on his mind for his FJ? My heart goes out to his Family. About two years ago we had a casualty with another FJ, Drunk bus driver hit him head on same thing went through my mind.
Yea and it was about a month old, the FJ, and he was expecting his first child too. Died at forty something. Too sad!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts