Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha---I have feather like scratches on the inside windshield...is there any "easy" way to remove them?...Also is there an inside layer of tint on the windshield(and other windows too)(factory installed) that can be removed?...Mahalo Puluke

·
Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
61 Posts
Aloha---I have feather like scratches on the inside windshield...is there any "easy" way to remove them?...Also is there an inside layer of tint on the windshield(and other windows too)(factory installed) that can be removed?...Mahalo Puluke
Do you have pictures? I'm curious what "feather-like" looks like.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
KAH' HAH' HAH' !
wow, that is weird, is there a tint film that a previous owner installed that has gotten scratched during an interior cleaning?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess would be a tint on the window(I hope) and we scratched it during cleaning...I cannot believe glass would scratch that easily(?)...we called a local shop and are going to see them(soon)...Mahalo Puluke

·
Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
61 Posts
Try scraping it with a razor. It won't scratch the glass (unless you're crazy aggressive).

Sent from my S3_Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
152 Posts
I had a sports car I was having window tinting installed in years ago . The person was pushing a clear window tint (3M) that kept the heat and UV rays out (I live in Tampa) for the front windshield. Maybe thats what you have? After some research I was told not to do it as the window is made to shatter, in the event your head hits the windshield in a crash it would be like hitting a brick wall. You may be able to use a dental Instrument in the bottom corner and see if there's something to peel back. Maybe a bright flashlight at night may reveal something? Definitely does not seem normal.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the windshield on my Cruiser tinted. Since the glass is flat, it's a single sheet with no seams. Not even noticeable unless the sun hits it at a specific angle showing ghosting of the 3M logo in a couple areas.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
"I was told not to do it as the window is made to shatter, in the event your head hits the windshield in a crash it would be like hitting a brick wall."

Actually, the adding of a film to the inside surface of a windshield was studied back in the day before people wore their seatbelts, because when their face would hit a normal windshield the shards of glass would shred their face like ground beef (a laminated windshield is made of two sheets of very thin plate glass with a PVB layer between them - it is that middle layer that does the retaining of the flying human during impact but the shattered glass stuck to it is not something you want your skin to come in contact with).

The reason why it was not adopted widely was because of how easily it would scratch, harming outward visibility, the main purpose of a windshield is to see out of. In the end, people started wearing their seatbelts and all but eliminated the "face as ground meat" concern.

Norm

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Not the front windshield but a 3M video of their product.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
The tempered glass used on the side and back windows is unbelievably strong. I've seen tests where a 1kg steel ball, 50mm diameter, is dropped from 1m and it simply bounces off. It is interesting to see how many times he had to hit it with the rounded radius of that wheel wrench / crowbar before it would crack. The downside of tempered glass is that all it takes is one sharp point and it breaks very easily (if he'd used the sharp end of the crowbar it would have shattered on the first impact). The film looks like it works like the film in the laminated windshield, by holding all of the pieces together with a pliable film the broken glass is still pretty resistant to his crowbar passing through the opening.

Those first hits make it look almost bulletproof, which, of course, would be nonsense but it would be easy to see how some could be fooled by the physics of what is happening in that video.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
It appears to be personal preference. if I was in a car accident and my car flipped over or went in the water and somebody was trying to get me out by breaking the windows that could be a problem. Unless they had they had a sledgehammer. On the pro side I think it would stop many cracked windshields. No right or wrong ultimately each person will decide what they choose.

<>< <>< <><. <*((^(((><

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tempered glass used on the side and back windows is unbelievably strong. I've seen tests where a 1kg steel ball, 50mm diameter, is dropped from 1m and it simply bounces off. It is interesting to see how many times he had to hit it with the rounded radius of that wheel wrench / crowbar before it would crack. The downside of tempered glass is that all it takes is one sharp point and it breaks very easily (if he'd used the sharp end of the crowbar it would have shattered on the first impact). The film looks like it works like the film in the laminated windshield, by holding all of the pieces together with a pliable film the broken glass is still pretty resistant to his crowbar passing through the opening.

Those first hits make it look almost bulletproof, which, of course, would be nonsense but it would be easy to see how some could be fooled by the physics of what is happening in that video.
Aloha---If that is what it is...now the question??? Will it come off or am I stuck with scratched windows?...Mahalo Puluke

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
So I did a search on Google. Lots of options and ways to accomplish it, recommend reading a few and check out YouTube. Plan B to figure out if you have window tint is to go near a lava flow or use a big lighter (just kidding!). The other windows most likely have window film as well check the suicide door windows.

5 EASY Ways to Remove Window Tint (without Scratching the ...
  1. Hairdryer or Heat Gun. This is an easy way to remove tint and works equally well with a heat …
  2. Steam Cleaning. Perhaps the best way to remove window tint is to grab a fabric steamer. After …
  3. Solar Peel. You can take advantage of a warm, sunny day to make your job easier. You’ll need …
  4. Papers, Please. Old newspapers have a lot of uses, including window tint removal. Thoroughly …
<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I did a search on Google. Lots of options and ways to accomplish it, recommend reading a few and check out YouTube. Plan B to figure out if you have window tint is to go near a lava flow or use a big lighter (just kidding!). The other windows most likely have window film as well check the suicide door windows.

5 EASY Ways to Remove Window Tint (without Scratching the ...
  1. Hairdryer or Heat Gun. This is an easy way to remove tint and works equally well with a heat …
  2. Steam Cleaning. Perhaps the best way to remove window tint is to grab a fabric steamer. After …
  3. Solar Peel. You can take advantage of a warm, sunny day to make your job easier. You’ll need …
  4. Papers, Please. Old newspapers have a lot of uses, including window tint removal. Thoroughly …
<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
Mahalo...I have taken off tint before(another car) and it was a lot of work and at this stage of my life I will pay someone to do it...I just want to be sure I can get rid of the scratches and have "clear" glass...Mahalo Puluke

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
You mentioned taking it to a professional as that would be a good start, pretty sure they'll be able to take care of your issues. It appears the scratches are in the front window but in theory they may be in other windows as well but maybe not as prevalent. Someone may have scratched the film and that's what you're seeing. If it was me I would take a dental pick, locate an inconspicuous area down at the bottom corner of a window and see if there's anything there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts