Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I run the Wildpeak AT3W on my LR3 and I had them road force balanced on the first installation because I wanted to avoid issues. I had them installed at our Cadillac (and former Saab) dealer because we have always had a Saab and fully trusted the guys there to do it right. Some tires took 6-7oz of weight and they could not get 2 tires below 35 lbs of road force. Around town they are definately smooth and quiet. On the highway they are great until about 70 and then there is a slight vibration that progresses with increased speed. It's not enough to cause issue or be any kind of safety concern, but I notice it.

It's frustrating because these have been my favorite tire so far, they have not slipped on any surface (dry, wet, snow) and are quiet for the tread design. I am really torn as to whether I will buy them again. My wife just got a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT 1015 to replace her Duratracs (which got so loud it was a joke after 25,000 miles) and she is thrilled - she says hands down they are the best tire she has driven on. Her only gripe is that the design is not as beefy as she would like, but then again, they probably would not perform as well if they were "beefier" - we're all forever chasing the perect tire!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been through virtually every tire brand between my 3 jeeps, 2 pro-4xs and FJ over the last 8 years. My Falkens are the best at I've every used (especially for road noise). I bought on Amazon and exclusively use a small local tire shop for install. This was the best decision I ever made. I took my FJ to Toyota twice before to get an alignment and balance on my prior set of Wranglers and first time it almost seemed like I had death wobble it would get so bad on the interstate.

I think your problem is with the shop, not the tire. Looks like they are sticking you with some blems and some $10/hr installers.

I'm over 12k in of interstate and hard off-roading over the southwest and Texas and they barely look broken in. Also, I run 48 psi and check it weekly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All tire manufacturers make bad tires from time to time. I had four square BFG all terain's. Nothing would balance them. BFG comped them out. After two great sets it was a big surprise. I switched to Goodyear and love my Wranglers. This set is great. The next set???

·
Desert Moderator
5,662 Posts
Those pieces torn from the leading edge of the tread blocks look like they’ve been caused by wheel hop possibly. If that’s the wheel having a hard time holding weight it’s possible that tire isn’t perfectly round and fixing it with weight simply won’t work. It’ll continue to throw weights and this slight damage will become more evident as the tire begins to scallop from rapidly changing forces as it spins.
I've seen this on BFGs in the past. The scalloping gets quite pronounced.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've put almost 40,000 on my LT285/70/17E's over the last 3 years. I'm doing a 5 tire rotation and have been really happy with them. I've had a few balancing issues but it's been from one particular shop. Of course it's the one that is most convenient but a stop at a different DT shop has corrected it both times. They run smooth on the highway and around town and are wearing like iron. I've only had one time where they didn't grip on some super slick clay and would be interested to try them on snow. I live in FL and haven't traveled north in the winter yet. They seem to be pretty hard and are getting loud though. I've read that there have been more issues with the p-metrics than the LT's. They stunk to high heaven for the first couple of months that I had them. I won a set of KM3's at last years Appalachian Toyota Roundup and just received them (I was holding out for a size that was not being produced yet but ended up with same 285's) and am torn if I should just keep running the Falkens or switch to the KM3's now.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
UPDATE: Just took it in to install the new Wildpeaks they ordered last week, only to be told by the manager that he had received an e-mail from Falken this morning informing of a recall. Great.

He said that Falken is still determining the production codes on the defective tires, so he will keep me posted. But until then, all Wildpeaks are being taken off the shelves.

Debating on whether I should give it another shot, since these seem to be a defective set. Or just go with something else completely. This is my fourth visit to America's Tire. Maybe the 5th time's a charm? Bummer.

·
トヨタ Master
5,794 Posts
UPDATE: Just took it in to install the new Wildpeaks they ordered last week, only to be told by the manager that he had received an e-mail from Falken this morning informing of a recall. Great.

He said that Falken is still determining the production codes on the defective tires, so he will keep me posted. But until then, all Wildpeaks are being taken off the shelves.

Debating on whether I should give it another shot, since these seem to be a defective set. Or just go with something else completely. This is my fourth visit to America's Tire. Maybe the 5th time's a charm? Bummer.
You don't have to wait for someone to get back in touch with you. Check it yourself:

DOT Tire Recall Form | Falken Tire

Do you know how to find your DOT stamps on your tires? They look like this:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Thank you. I just entered my info in that recall form above, but after I pressed "submit", the response was "Thank you for your application to be a brand ambassador..."?? I have no idea what just happened there, lol.

So, three of the five tires, including the scalloping front driver side tire, have the same DOT number DA70 3MDR0719. We'll see what they tell me about that and the rest.

·
トヨタ Master
5,794 Posts
IDK, I pulled that link off my dealer's site. It's probably just for us but now you're registered and will probably hear back from either Falken or the dealer. The dealer should have done this while you were there, so at least something may happen now.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I just contacted Falken directly regarding this recall, since my mom just purchased Wildpeak AT3W's for her truck. The friendly representative who wrote back to me said that there are no current recalls on the Wildpeaks, and indicated that the information you received is incorrect (I directed them to this thread).

I'd suggest you contact Falken about this issue directly, since it appears this shop may not be telling you the truth?

I hope all this works out well for you and you are able to get a new, better set of tires! I had a similar tread issue with a set of Goodyear Wranglers a while back, but had never had that issue with those tires on previous purchases. I switched to Nitto Terra Grapplers and have been happy with them, but am realizing the issue may have been with that particular set of tires and not that tire model in general.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you for this. I did call Falken this morning and spoke to QA rep named Valerie, who confirmed that there are no current recalls on the Wildpeaks. She was aware of this thread. She and her manager were concerned about the false information getting out there about the reputation of the Wildpeaks, so they ended up contacting the manager of the shop to straighten things out.

The manager of the shop called me this afternoon to say that there was a mix up, and that the e-mail he received on his end showed a recall without specific details, but indeed the rep had called him to explain that there was not. He said that they can go ahead and install the new tires.

At this point, I don't know if it was a miscommunication or what, but I can't help but to feel like something shady has been going on, or that I've been d*cked around. Still, I'd like to have faith in people, and give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll be going in on Monday to have a new set installed. It'll be visit #5 .

I just contacted Falken directly regarding this recall, since my mom just purchased Wildpeak AT3W's for her truck. The friendly representative who wrote back to me said that there are no current recalls on the Wildpeaks, and indicated that the information you received is incorrect (I directed them to this thread).

I'd suggest you contact Falken about this issue directly, since it appears this shop may not be telling you the truth?

I hope all this works out well for you and you are able to get a new, better set of tires! I had a similar tread issue with a set of Goodyear Wranglers a while back, but had never had that issue with those tires on previous purchases. I switched to Nitto Terra Grapplers and have been happy with them, but am realizing the issue may have been with that particular set of tires and not that tire model in general.

·
トヨタ Master
5,794 Posts
I figured something would happen. Hopefully they take care of your concerns as a good shop should always be doing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
UPDATE: Went in this morning, and they swapped out the two front tires with new ones (the two rears were already replaced during visit #3 ). The manager did it himself, to make sure everything was checked off. He said that the driver's side front tire was so out of round that it needed 11 weights to balance it out, which was unacceptable.

I've since driven it about 20 miles or so, both on the freeway and surface streets, and everthing seems A-ok, so far. Due to time contraints, I'll drive it around some more on the weekend to see if anything turns up.

I feel better about it, overall. I think it was just a case of bad luck that sometimes happens with different tires. Although this whole thing took way too long to fix, it seems like it's good now, and I'd probably do business with America's Tire again. Maybe, probably. Lol.

Have a great rest of the week, everyone! 🙂

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The neverending saga continues. The vibrations persist, so the manager took it out for a spin himself. He says that he felt shaking in the front and rear. He thinks that the TRD Pro wheels may not be compatible because of the difference in rim width (going from 7.5" wide steelie to 7" TRD Pro), and the difference in offset. He says that changing out the wheels pinched the tires in, and also effectively decreased my track width, which is causing loss of overall stability.

Can someone verify the info about the track width? I was under the assumption, after much reading, that the TRD Pro wheels would increase my track width by half an inch on both sides, for 1" overall?

They're now swapping out the fronts one more time. Worst case scenario, I'll have to put my old steelies back on with the Wildpeaks, I think. I'm super disappointed that this is happening, especially that these aren't oddball rims. They're pretty popular for FJs. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Sounds like a load of poppy coc.k.

I'm running the TRD Pro rims as is my boss on his 4runner and our salesman on his Tacoma.

No one is having shakes, shimmies or other issues. All different brands of tires and the 2 shop trucks have their tires swapped with winter tires and back again to summers.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Just had another thought:

Are you sure you purchased legit TRD rims and not a knock of set?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sounds like a load of poppy coc.k.

I'm running the TRD Pro rims as is my boss on his 4runner and our salesman on his Tacoma.

No one is having shakes, shimmies or other issues. All different brands of tires and the 2 shop trucks have their tires swapped with winter tires and back again to summers.
And this is why I just don't understand it. 😭

They want to rule out that it's the rims, so they're gonna swap them back to the OEM steelies next week to see what happens. If the shakes persist, then those Wildpeaks just arent meant to be. They've ordered a set of KO2s.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
And this is why I just don't understand it.

They want to rule out that it's the rims, so they're gonna swap them back to the OEM steelies next week to see what happens. If the shakes persist, then those Wildpeaks just arent meant to be. They've ordered a set of KO2s.

Good luck one way or another but those KO2’s have there own problems with balancing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 53 Posts