Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
It's not because of your TRD wheels. It looks as though you drove it for 7 days before reporting a vibration. Are we certain the vibration at this point is from the tires and not something else in the drivetrain that comes and goes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It's not because of your TRD wheels. It looks as though you drove it for 7 days before reporting a vibration. Are we certain the vibration at this point is from the tires and not something else in the drivetrain that comes and goes?
The FJ is my second vehicle, so I don't get to drive it until Fridays or the weekend. I have a commuter, and I carpool as well so, unfortunately, days go by without me having the chance to drive it, hence the weekly updates.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it's not drivetrain related. But I do know that it was driving perfectly through all speeds in the OEM steelies and Bridgestones Dueler HTs, prior to installing the new setup. 😕 Not one shimmy or shake. I regret not keeping the old tires to help pinpoint what the issue is.

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
How long did you drive it before the vibration occurred? This last set seemed good for how long?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
How long did you drive it before the vibration occurred? This last set seemed good for how long?
I drove it last Friday, but then again, that was through SF Bay Area commute traffic for about 25 miles, not exceeding 40 mph. Didn't feel anything there.

Then I drove it on Saturday, and was able to take it up to highway speed, when I noticed the vibration again. It starts around 60 mph, then seems like it goes away at around 75-80mph, then returning as you coast down. Changing lanes also causes a disturbance as you roll over the bots dots. I drove up and down the freeway for about 20 miles or so, testing this.

I'm considering taking it to a well established mom and pop shop to see if they can do a better job at balancing, just in case that's it, before I have to ditch the rims and/or tires. 😞

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
Yeah, I think it's just out of balance from your description. You might have them try static balancing if they are having trouble with sticky weights on the inside of the wheel. I find that problem a lot on alloy wheels. Make sure they aren't stacking sticky weights either. If they are doing that, then they are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yeah, I think it's just out of balance from your description. You might have them try static balancing if they are having trouble with sticky weights on the inside of the wheel. I find that problem a lot on alloy wheels. Make sure they aren't stacking sticky weights either. If they are doing that, then they are doing it wrong.
Interesting. They *are* stacking the sticky weights, lol. I have at least one wheel that has two layers about 10 units wide, and I think one has three layers. I looked last night and found that another wheel has the standard clamp-on silver weights clamped to the inside lip. How should the weights be applied? I'll certainly mention this to them. Thanks!

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
Static balance is only on the inside edge or lip. I prefer the lip if the wheel has one. I see sticky weights coming off while off roading all the time. I do use them at the shop when I can and only if the wheel is washed will they truly stick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drove it last Friday, but then again, that was through SF Bay Area commute traffic for about 25 miles, not exceeding 40 mph. Didn't feel anything there.

Then I drove it on Saturday, and was able to take it up to highway speed, when I noticed the vibration again. It starts around 60 mph, then seems like it goes away at around 75-80mph, then returning as you coast down. Changing lanes also causes a disturbance as you roll over the bots dots. I drove up and down the freeway for about 20 miles or so, testing this.

I'm considering taking it to a well established mom and pop shop to see if they can do a better job at balancing, just in case that's it, before I have to ditch the rims and/or tires. 😞
I'm also in the SF Bay Area. If San Rafael isn't too far for you, consider visiting Tim's Treads. He's installed the tires for all of our family's vehicles for the past 15+ years (except for the Falken's on mom's truck, which came from Mudrak's since the truck was a restoration project). Tim is incredibly knowledgeable about tires, and I highly recommend him if you're looking for an option for a "well established mom and pop shop."

·
Registered
354 Posts
FJC650:

Wondering what the outcome was with your Falken Wildpeak AT3W's? Did you find a place that was able to balance them?

Just bought 5 including spare on Amazon Prime from 4Wheel Drive Hardware, and will take them out on the highway tomorrow for evaluation. I'll have to say, though, your ongoing troubles gave me pause, and I did a lot of research and worried some before my purchase.

Hope it all worked out as nobody deserves to have to return for correction so many times. Was it the way they were stacking the weights? Was it the TRD rims? Was it some weird combo of things? Please Update when you are able-

Thanks! Meanwhile I'm in the evaluation stage, but so far happy and Love the look of The Falken Wildpeak AT3W's and really glad they are snow rated. We are in the VA Mtns. and fair amount of snow. Was still running the original tires that came on my FJ (6 years!/32,000 miles).

Was very Relieved that there was not a Recall!

AH

·
Registered
33 Posts
@FJC650

I've been following this thread for a while and have been very curious as to how things turned out... I'm running Wildpeak AT3's (285/75 R17) on my rig and I've been extremely happy with them. They ride very smooth and are relatively quiet on the highway, feel great on/off road, and have demonstrated excellent wear so far (approx 30K miles).

When I replace these tires, I was considering the 17" TRD alloy wheels for the next set (have 17" steelies presently). After following this discussion and doing more research... I'm not not so sure. A 7" rim is, from what I've been reading, borderline too narrow for this tire size; they seem to distort the tire more than recommended by various sources. I don't think FJC650's problems were tire-related so much as they were wheel-related.FJC650: were these "knock-offs"? I've seen numerous vendors pedaling these wheels online and prices appear to be all over the place. Toyota source wheels have been very pricey.

I leave off with a dumb question:

Rather than stacking weights 3-deep on the rims, shouldn't the tire store have made sure the wheels, themselves, were in balance once they knew how off-balance things were!?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
After multiple attempts at balancing, several change-outs of tires, and still encountering "vibration and wandering" problems, why isn't anyone looking at factors other than just tires?

The OP didn't state the year model or mileage of his FJ, but any excessive clearances (including wheel bearings), wear, or softness in ANY other part of the suspension system (especially the front) can dramatically amplify the effects of tire imbalance, slight tire out-of-roundness, or wheel/hub runout.

The OP changed TWO things simultaneously, and suddenly a new problem became apparent. All the focus has been on tires, but apparently no one is looking at possible wheel or hub-related issues.

1. First, I'd make absolutely sure that the wheels are genuine Toyota parts, and not the "TRD-look" wheels that are readily available. Just because they were ordered THROUGH a dealer doesn't absolutely rule out aftermarket wheels, but obviously the dealer should have made it very clear if these were genuine TRD or "copy" wheels. and the price should have reflected this.

2. Measure axial AND radial runout at the wheel bead seats using a dial indicator. To do this really correctly will require dismounting the tires so the bead seats are accessible, but measuring the external lip of the wheel should give some indication of a serious runout problem.

3. If excessive runout is found, then it needs to be determined if it originates in the wheels or the hubs. If the hubs run true, then there is a wheel problem.

4. Also required is a thorough inspection of ALL suspension and steering components (including tightness of steering rack mounting bolts, inner and outer tie rod ends, etc.), as any looseness cab amplify the perception of "tire imbalance".

The hint at possible suspension problems is in the OP's statement about "wandering" at 40-70 MPG, which would not typically be caused by just a tire-balance problem unless the imbalance was so bad that the tire was literally hopping off the road surface.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
FJC650:

Wondering what the outcome was with your Falken Wildpeak AT3W's? Did you find a place that was able to balance them?
Apologies for not updating this thread (for some reason, I didn't get notifications for the replies). I was able to eventually get them balanced. The manager at America's Tire ordered a new set, and road force balanced every one of them himself. He wouldn't let any of the other workers touch it. I've put a few thousand miles on them since, and they've been riding smooth and quiet. Very happy with the tires now. I've even had a lift kit installed, and they ride just the same.

For the record, it's a 2014 with about 40k miles on it at the time, certified preowned, mint, with zero issues. As I've mentioned, the wheels were genuine TRD Pros that I purchased through a dealership.

Final thoughts. I could have been unlucky enough to receive a bad batch of tires, despite no recall from Falken. But I'm thinking, after this mess, that it was failure on the part of the techs at my local America's Tire to balance AT tires properly, and taking care of the customer in a reasonable fashion. I don't think that many people would have been ok with, or have enough patience, to have gone back so many times in order to get it right. I cringe at what would happen if I ever had to return to fix a flat. Are all America's Tires like this? I sure hope not. Will I buy tires from them again? That's a hard no.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the at3Ws in 255/80/17 about a month ago no issues so far except I wasn't too happy with the amount of weights on it. Might rebalance them myself cause they took a lot even for a 10ply.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts