Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be the first to call myself out.

Recently I sold a Push Bar to ROBPOLAK. A really cool guy Rob is. I shipped it quick, the bar is in great condition etc. I thought I had sent all the mounting hardware, I was wrong, I screwed up. This type of stuff keeps me up at night. I cannot do people wrong. I know all too well how it feels to get something you want to put on but cant because some butthole forgot a part, well that butthole is me. I did not do it intentionally its just my memory is shot, it all started with a bumper swap I did with a Toyota dealership, a tube bumper for my OEM bumper, they had to to the labor part so I said, ok. The "bumper guy" I thought had returned all my hardware when he did the swap(long story short) I forgot about the bottom mounting brackets.

Rob calls me while he's into his install and asks about securing the bottom of the push bar, it doesn't take me long to figure out I screwed the pooch. This is just a few days after the swap. So I think, no problem, I will swing by Toyota and ask for them.....BIG PROBLEM, the FJ with my brackets has already sold, so I have to wait til Monday to try anything and everything to get to the bottom of this, customer contact (who purchased the FJ) or whatever...I NEED THOSE BRACKETS, I cant let ROB down.

Monday morning(today) I finally am able to talk to the used car manager at Toyota. Long story short and some begging, he tells me he thinks it went to the MID-west.....not what I wanted to hear, he checks, "oh it was wholesaled to OBX CHEVROLET"(the Outer Banks, North Carolina, about 1hr 20 mins from my house)

Long story short, I call OBX Chevrolet, the manager says (hesitantly) if you come down today you can get your brackets, it will be gone tomorrow---OK, I'm coming. I get there I proceed to work(Yes he told me I had to do it), I take the 4 nuts off but the bolts are seated pretty good and cannot get them out with the tools I brought, I ask for help, the manager ignores me and then very short and perturbed he yells at me, "I want you to leave the damn thing alone." I kindly say I really need my property, he says "take that up with First Team Toyota, they can have the damn thing back I haven't even paid for it yet"

****As you read, Yes I understand its all my fault and was lucky to be allowed to snatch my stuff back, still people helping people...its not unheard of or people making mistakes******

I then ask if someone can help me knock them loose, it will only take a sec, he yells again "If you wanna pull it in service and pay to have it done, go ahead." I say, whatever it takes. (what an A hole) I explained nicely several times why I needed them, he could care less.

So I get a guy to help me, he pulls the FJ into service, the guy tasked with job is a huge A-hole, My wife and I drove down there so I walked out to inform her of whats going on and I came back into the service bay hearing the Tech calling me a liar, saying that wasn't my FJ or my brackets (yeah I just know where random brackets for push bars are on FJ Cruisers---he had the story all wrong---NOBODY LISTENS anymore)

I am asked to show the Tech what I am talking about, so I do and he starts yelling, "OMG, I am going have to take the whole bumper off"(any mechanic with 2 brain cells could have got these off, I just need something I did not have to knock em loose), gets in the FJ and says "This is going to take a couple hours" and squeals the tires and pulls it into the bay, I hear him wind up the impact gun and then "clank" I knew one was off..of course he just let it drop. WOW that took 4 seconds....impact gun winds up again, "Clank" WOW 3 seconds to get that one off, for a grand total of 7 SECONDS!!! He comes up to the service counter with the brackets and slams them on the customer service desk and runs off. I have never been so mad in my life, but kept my mouth shut, grabbed the brackets and got the EFF out of there. Did not say crap to anyone except one guy named Harvey who was really nice, I told him thanks and hauled A$$.

So it took all day and a lot of begging and explaining, but I got them. I am usually really diligent and careful about having all parts to certain items, this was a fluke but I did what I could to get the brackets back, I won this time but what a headache. I deserve it for what I did to ROB.

Extra info, nobody was at the dealership, in service or trying to buy. OBX CHEVROLET is BLACKED FLAGGED. People make mistakes, I appreciate them letting me get my stuff but did they really have to crucify me and act like pitiful A-holes, NO, but they did. I don't understand when people are so rude to others just trying to complete a little task. I already know, nobody cares about crap these days but a limited few. Also I talked to a shop about ordering just the brackets and the guy said he buys direct and they wont even sell him brackets...so I knew what I had to do.

This day was horrible, but I made a wrong a right by getting ROB his stuff.

I want everyone to know I screwed up and I apologize to ROB for the hold up.

P.S. I hate OBX CHEVROLET

Sorry Rob, your Mod will soon be complete:wave:

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You sound like a good guy Hugo. Mistakes get made here and there, we're all guilty of it, just have to move on and pay it forward. Props to you sir.
Thanks man, I try, I really do, but you would have thought I was the Anti-Christ today, the way they treated me....I was seconds from being burned at the stake:lol:

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
I know you kinda needed to be nice to them until you got the brackets. Once you had them in hand, I would have went 0-asshole in about .2 nano seconds........

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you kinda needed to be nice to them until you got the brackets. Once you had them in hand, I would have went 0-asshole in about .2 nano seconds........
LOL, I wanted to, but I had my 17 month old daughter and my wife sittin in the Sequoia (and still a 1hr 20min ride home) and something just told me to leave. If I would have been alone and had the brackets in hand, maybe the "Old Steve" would have come out:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Hugo that was cool but I must ask were the brackets more expensive than the gas it took to drive three hours? Very cool outcome:)
I hit 400 positives on ebay today with 100% feedback made me smile.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
LOL, I wanted to, but I had my 17 month old daughter and my wife sittin in the Sequoia (and still a 1hr 20min ride home) and something just told me to leave. If I would have been alone and had the brackets in hand, maybe the "Old Steve" would have come out:cheers:
I can understand that. :cheers:

Maybe do the......

F you

F you

F you

You're Cool (pointing to Harvey)

and F you

as you walk out the door.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hugo that was cool but I must ask were the brackets more expensive than the gas it took to drive three hours? Very cool outcome:)
I hit 400 positives on ebay today with 100% feedback made me smile.
Not sure on the gas, it was the only option, I called Steelcraft and Aries...no help, the Push bar I sold is obsolete (I cannot find it anywhere) and it actually is really nice with a really good powder coat. It is a top notch item and one of the nice ones I have seen, but this particular one I thought Id better do whatever it takes to get those brackets. I just went over 400 feedbacks too on ebay:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stand up job!

If it were me, we'd be cool and the gang. Hope rob is too.
Rob's cool with it, I called him as soon as I had those darn things in my hand:bigthumb: I sent him this link so he could get some jabs in:)

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
That is very stand up of you no matter what doing the right thing is always right. Thank you for a great read.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can understand that. :cheers:

Maybe do the......

F you

F you

F you

You're Cool (pointing to Harvey)

and F you

as you walk out the door.

:lol:
Holy crap, I actually use this line still, its so funny and would have fit perfect today!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is very stand up of you no matter what doing the right thing is always right. Thank you for a great read.
Thanks, I hit the highlights without writing too much. (Its still long)

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the compliments guys but you are suppose to flame me :) Also I am not mechanically inept, I just could read the managers face, I couldnt bang on their FJ with what I brought with me, so I was playing it cool. Didnt know if I mentioned that. I was trying to be respectful, now I wished I would have beat the [email protected]! out of it :)

No I dont, I would never hurt an FJ, thats worse than child abuse(not really but close..you know what I mean):)

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I could call my mercenary Uncle Hugo to pay a visit to the service manager if you want? >lol. That was a joke Big brother

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
wow this story's better than the short verison...those guys at chevy are real ah0les, them and cheap american trucks.....thanks again If I'm down in the south I'll call ya and buy ya some lunch or something THANKS AGAIN :cheers:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think this story is worthy of OBX Chevrolet to get their first Yelp review.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts