Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys connected the external speaker connection from the CB and/or Ham radio into the aux audio circuit? I am playing around with the idea, but not totally sold on the idea yet. The main "problem" is that I like to have my CB or 2 meter on most of the time. This setup would not allow me to listen to regular FM while having the other two radios on. I imagine I could build a simple mixer box where I could feed the CB, 2 meter, and Ipod into the Aux at the same time at least. Any thoughts? Sound like a fun engineering project? :)

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good idea.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I have my cb hooked permanently into the "aux" port of the fjammer, because the tiny speaker in the Cobra 75 doesn't cut it. Makes it much easier to hear when I use it. Shouldn't be that hard to find some micro-plug "Y" adapters to add in more than one device. Might be a chore to get the input volume balanced on the multiple radios though.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I would suggest not using the factory audio system for 2-way radio communications.

The FJ's speakers are poor to start with, and are not designed to highlight the frequency range of spoken words - they are designed to work best with music. So, even though it is possible to do, the sound quality of 2-way radio sound will be poor at best, especially when spread across 9 speakers and the entire cabin of the vehicle. You'll be able to discriminate the content of the communications much easier with a single dedicated speaker designed to work best with voice frequencies. :rocker:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with cruiserlarry.

I tried it a while back with my IC-208 and the audio quality was not very good. The cw ident from repeaters would be too loud and the voice audio too quiet, just couldn't get a good balance.

External speakers works much better.

You could try connecting your cb and your 2m radio to one external speaker to save space.

Actually now this has just given me another project to add to my never ending list !

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rofl: Damnit... not you tell me!

Well that is another thought. Same principle. Now, maybe I can design a mixer with a small audio amp to drive one speaker. Now to make the speaker inconspicuous ...hmmm fun!

I agree with cruiserlarry.

I tried it a while back with my IC-208 and the audio quality was not very good. The cw ident from repeaters would be too loud and the voice audio too quiet, just couldn't get a good balance.

External speakers works much better.

You could try connecting your cb and your 2m radio to one external speaker to save space.

Actually now this has just given me another project to add to my never ending list !

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've ran it with aux in before and it worked well. I can stand outside the vehicle and still hear quite clearly what's going on. I was using Cobra 75 and the stock speaker was pathetic. I now run a large Galaxy 959 and the speaker is quite adequate. I'm considering adding an outside the cab speaker however. I like to be able to hear what's going on even if I'm not inside the FJ.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Ultimately I'd like to feed my cb, 2m/70cm, and HF radios all into the same speaker!

Not sure how a regular external speaker would handle all 3 inputs at the same time.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Ultimately I'd like to feed my cb, 2m/70cm, and HF radios all into the same speaker!

Not sure how a regular external speaker would handle all 3 inputs at the same time.

What do you think ?

Will do! Once I complete my radio install, I'll make a quick "test rig" and see how it sounds. I have about averything I need to make the little mixer circuit. If it works out, I'll be sure to post up details and pics. I just have to clear some room on the work bench from all the other FJ projects going on!

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
So here is the idea I just drew up quickly at work tonight:

I think balancing would be driven by the individual output level of each radio.
Not exactly - you'll feed the audio from each radio into the ipod audio output, and vice versa....which changes the impedance and affects the sound levels (along with possibly damaging the audio circuit of one or all of the radios involved). I'm no expert, by I don't think the resistors will do the job. You need to isolate each audio output from each other - just like the way the factory audio requires you to switch inputs to prevent more than one audio output being fed into the system together at any time...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could do that with a capacitor on each output. We use blocking diodes in the aircraft that I work on, but I wont speak on that until I breadboard one up and give it a try. :)
There are many audio systems that mix two audio outputs to an amp. Mic mixers, DJ systems, etc. I don't want to dig into this that deep, but I honestly think I can build a mixer that will mix to radio outputs to one speaker, and do that without it costing too much.

Not exactly - you'll feed the audio from each radio into the ipod audio output, and vice versa....which changes the impedance and affects the sound levels (along with possibly damaging the audio circuit of one or all of the radios involved). I'm no expert, by I don't think the resistors will do the job. You need to isolate each audio output from each other - just like the way the factory audio requires you to switch inputs to prevent more than one audio output being fed into the system together at any time...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the KISS principle! I just bought an old pair of computer speakers at the thrift shop for $2.00 & just use one of them, works great (for my Ft7800R)!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I have it running through my Aux and it works perfectly as an fyi.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After exploring some possibilities I have decided to add dedicated 4 inch speakers in the door panels. I am going to build a mixer and possibly a small 4 watt amp to drive them. I'll post up pics and details when I get that done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts