Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, at the Toyota dealership here in Puerto Rico, they asked me to help them get pictures from FJ fender bulges and cracks because they had a reunion and one of the technicians talked about it and they (the Big ones from Toyota) asked him to show them some photos of it because they are NOT aware of that problem with the FJ Cruiser... indeed. So he showed just one picture he had from a customer who went to the dealer to show them the fender bulge... So the "big" people from Toyota asked the technician if he can gather more photos of different FJs so they can see how big is the "problem" and see what they will do (if). So, since Im the president of the Puerto Rico Fj Cruisers I sent messages to everybody here in PR who own an Fj and to spread the notice. This may be the First step about this whole thing... I'll keep you informed of what will happen here with the fender bulge/crack issue.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Maybe the start of something? Or maybe Toyota giving false hope? Either way I am very happy with my FJ, and we own a new Camry LE. I really like the dependability of Toyota but am saddened at the lack of motivation on Yotas end to resolve the fender bulge issue. Just my 2 cents.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
42,137 Posts
There are several photos of the bulges and cracks in the different threads that are "stickied" about the problem. He could get them and I'm sure several of the people on the forum with the problem would provide pictures for him or you to use.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

People with a bulge are lucky. I get to deal with this! And the annoying noise that goes with it... Until Toyota gets a recall going, I think it's all BS.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
well...here's a picture of my....umm.."bulge"..

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Windshield

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

People with a bulge are lucky. I get to deal with this! And the annoying noise that goes with it... Until Toyota gets a recall going, I think it's all BS.
lane,

Are you going to take care of that? That's one of the worst that I've seen.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
Please excuse my newbness to the FJ, does this happen to all current FJ`s?
and what exactly is "the Fender bulge"? and what causes it? thanks...

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Nope they corrected it for late 2009 models and up by reinforcing the fenders with thicker material. There are some that state that the new models are prone to it as well but Ive only heard of one case.

·
Premium Member
2014 Toyota Land Cruiser
2,221 Posts
Please excuse my newbness to the FJ, does this happen to all current FJ`s?
and what exactly is "the Fender bulge"? and what causes it? thanks...
no it doesnt happen to all FJs, only those who wheel hard. and it's simply a bulge or crack/tear in your fender. (under the hood)

i'm lucky not to have one yet.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
i had my fenders fixed and no sign of the bulges too date i think i was like in the first 10 people who did no problems as of yet

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
no it doesnt happen to all FJs, only those who wheel hard. and it's simply a bulge or crack/tear in your fender. (under the hood)

i'm lucky not to have one yet.
lol it happened to me and i do not wheel hard i rank barely above mall crawler

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Fjamming, I'd like to get it fixed... Just don't know the best way to go about it. Think it's going to need some serious bracing once it's straightened out. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Lane,

If mine is like that, I'll probably ask a shop to pound smooth the affected area then plate something over. Seem the easiest and will not require you to remove all your mods so the shop can replace everything. Just a thought.

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,804 Posts
Fjamming, I'd like to get it fixed... Just don't know the best way to go about it. Think it's going to need some serious bracing once it's straightened out. We shall see.
If you are planning on fixing it you should consider having the three piece apron installed. I have had mine since late in '08 and they are holding up well. I have wheeled the Rubicon and other difficult areas and the aprons are perfect. Just a thought if you are planning to run it through your insurance. If you need the part numbers you are welcome to PM me.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
^ this sounds like the best plan of action

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
The worst part of this whole deal is that regardless whether you just run it through your insurance or through your Toyota dealer it will probably appear as an accident repair on your vehicle history report. This means diminished vehicle value at no fault of your own and that sucks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts