Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got a bulge on my driver side. Anyone have any success with getting the insurance to cover it? I might do the same because the gap between my door and fender are too close for comfort now. Should I get the passenger side replaced as well even though there isn't a bulge there (yet)?

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I just got a bulge on my driver side. Anyone have any success with getting the insurance to cover it? I might do the same because the gap between my door and fender are too close for comfort now. Should I get the passenger side replaced as well even though there isn't a bulge there (yet)?
I would have them both replaced. But how can you claim it under insurance without being in an accident?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure auto insurance is for this kind of issue.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Just out of curiosity, can you trace the origin of the bulges to any particular recent event? Like an unexpected jump or hard-bottoming the suspension.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just out of curiosity, can you trace the origin of the bulges to any particular recent event? Like an unexpected jump or hard-bottoming the suspension.
No. Even though it's modded, I've very seldom gone wheeling, school hasn't given me enough free time to enjoy my FJ or to reply to this post haha

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
i was speaking with my rep the other day about this issue, and the issue of wheeling in general. If I get the rips and Toyota won't cover it, I'll be going through my insurance more than likely. They said they'd just treat it like a single driver accident. Prob make my rate go up though.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Is this common? I read this forum all the time and this is the first I heard of it. I guess I missed it somehow but luckily I dont have the bulge issue.

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
There are FJ's that have them and FJ's that don't. What is not common is the cause. There is no ryhme or reason to it. Heavily modded FJ's that are wheeled hard do not have them but soccer mom type use FJ's have them. There is also no tie to manufacture date(month or year) for them. It really is a crap shoot as to which ones will develop the bulge.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a bulge forming a couple years ago.

Background: Most auto makers place high tensile steel on the inside body panels, the FJ switched that around and put the high tensile steel on the outside, leaving inner aprons weak.

I cut out the area that was bulging and replaced it with high tensile steel, then plated the area while tying the new reinforcement plate into the hood lift plate. The front aprons we have are C-pillar design, not a boxed design like on older Toyotas. So I ran high tensile 3/16" steel from the crowel to the grill, leaving a weak spot toward the front should I have just moved the stress to another place. Well, I guess 20 years of 4x4 building payed off, because after 3 more Rubicon runs, dune jumping and general rough road driving. I still have had no additional bulges or splits, anywhere on the truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Durango Herald 12/07/2013 | Deadly car crash spurs lawsuit
A family involved in a triple fatal crash two years ago west of Durango is suing Toyota, saying the carmaker’s FJ Cruiser lacked a proper impact-management system, which caused it to burst into flames.
The 2008 FJ Cruiser’s impact-absorbing body structure and frame crumple zones did not operate properly and failed to provide the McDonald family with a reasonable degree of protection, the lawsuit says.

Wonder if front end bulge or tear will come into play?

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
The Durango Herald 12/07/2013 | Deadly car crash spurs lawsuit
A family involved in a triple fatal crash two years ago west of Durango is suing Toyota, saying the carmaker’s FJ Cruiser lacked a proper impact-management system, which caused it to burst into flames.
The 2008 FJ Cruiser’s impact-absorbing body structure and frame crumple zones did not operate properly and failed to provide the McDonald family with a reasonable degree of protection, the lawsuit says.

Wonder if front end bulge or tear will come into play?
If you look at the history of crash results with the FJ, they hold up well. A lot of success stories on this forum from crashes.

I'm quite certain the FJ has saved more folks from serious injury than killed!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts