Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, just figured I'd share my project...I laid out the fiberglass to get the rear shape then started out with some 19mm MDF (they don't really have 3/4" here in Germany)

Used some speaker grille material for a start and put on some resin.

Had to attach the shaft....heh.

.665 cubic feet...perfect for my Polk Audio 10".

Test fit....all good.

Glassed in a raised logo...

Wet sanded and finishing...

Textured and painted...

Now I just need to put this in tomorrow or Sunday and I'll be done with another project....

I'd like to thank my wife who had to put up with my doing this project :wave:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Very nice and clean.
Good job.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Very nice! :cheers:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wish I knew how to work with fiberglass - these custom jobs look so nice sometimes they make me want to cry because I can't do it! :mecry:

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wish I knew how to work with fiberglass - these custom jobs look so nice sometimes they make me want to cry because I can't do it! :mecry:

-FJ Florida-
I agree. I have seen so many custom jobs I wish I could do and can't. I really want to put a sub in and do some kind of rhino line or linex coating but I don't know how.

Great job on this mod, looks very clean

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Now that's a good looking box. Great job. :rocker:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!!! I was trying to put the box and sub amp in today but it was raining on and off so I didn't get it done. I'll post up a pic once it's installed....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed. Now I just need to spend some time wiping the interior down. I started painting the interior panels with SEM Landau Black (you can tell because the one panel is lighter). It hits pretty good but now I have to tighten down the fiberglass pod I made for my 6.5" (above the sub) and do a little sound deadening to get rid of some rattles.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Truly amazing and very professional looking...well done! I really dig the “FJ” letters integration and color. :cheers:

I could make something just like it :rofl:, only it would look and work like total crap. :mecry:

I've got to learn how to to fiberglass!:thinkerg:

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
Truly amazing and very professional looking...well done! I really dig the “FJ” letters integration and color. :cheers:

X2. That is an amazing job right there. It's a great design on every level (providing that it sounds good too...which I am sure it does). I've designed and built boxes in the past (no-glass) and that was a task in and of itself.

Very clean work!...what the factory sub-box should be.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
...tighten down the fiberglass pod I made for my 6.5" (above the sub)...

Are you referring to the protrusion along the support?
If you are...DUDE, YOU MADE THAT? :rocker:
Too funny, it took me 15 minutes to just figure out what I was looking at. At first glance it looked like something mounted in the window. If you did fab it/them, you got photos of the job?

Where did you learn to do this, you've got true skills! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I see supporting vendor status innthe near future, because many will want.

Nice job.

Delancy

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Are you referring to the protrusion along the support?
If you are...DUDE, YOU MADE THAT? :rocker:
Too funny, it took me 15 minutes to just figure out what I was looking at. At first glance it looked like something mounted in the window. If you did fab it/them, you got photos of the job?

Where did you learn to do this, you've got true skills! :cheers:

Baja Tym: Mostly learned through trial and error, though fiberglass is really not that hard to work with once you learn the basics. I custom fabricated some 6.5" pods for the rear (there is one on each side)...the job is posted here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/126465-little-more-fiberglass-work-done.html

Picture of pod (the build is in the link above):

·
Registered
233 Posts
Seriously dude, you do some sick work. Not only that but your ideas are awesome. It's one thing to have skill to make this stuff but to come up with the idea is a whole other skill. Serious talent. I agree with a previous poster, you should fab and sell fj parts. I wish I could make that amp rack but I need to find an easier place to mount, I don't think I have the time or patience to learn.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did consider installing the amps in my front doors or in the rear door but I figured I'd save those spots for later ideas.

I do a little custom fiberglass work right now where I'm at in Germany but plan on expanding my 'business' when I get Oklahoma in a few months. I just don't want it to become a job since hobbies that become jobs start to get annoying...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts