Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what it's got to be: Steep, uphill angle, oil is pooling in the rear of the valve train. After 30-45 secs, oil gets deep enough to be sucked in by the PCV valve. PCV hose becomes an oil straw for the intake to ingest LOTS of oil really quickly, hence all the smoke while on the hill, and it goes away once level.

I have the how, but not the why. I don't know why the oil isn't draining back into the pan properly, and instead just pooling up in the back of the head. Might just be a bad PCV valve, might not. I was thinking I could remedy the issue by disconnecting the PCV and plugging the hole in the intake while wheeling, and reconnect it for DD, but that could lead to water in the crank case in the event of a water crossing (technically, the PCV is a one way valve, but I don't know if it would be water tight)

I may just have to take off the valve cover and see if there's any blockage of the oil passages, but I doubt there is with only 80k on the clock. Disconnecting the PCV is just a bandaid fix, to me, and I'd rather fix it properly. Anyone heard of early FJs having oil drainback problems?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,871 Posts
One fix, that may or may not be a bandaid is add a PCV catch can...this will keep it from entering the intake.

My little cheapo one catches a decent amount just driving around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts