Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Army Green
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else tried the solid aluminum filter housing out? I just changed oil ( switched to 10w-30 Synthetic) and replaced the plastic one with a one piece aluminum one. Seems to be a solid option for the leaking plastic one. I found it by accident while asking about an oil filter wrench at Advance.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Did mine a while back... didn't feel comfortable w/ the "bakealite" plastic...
So far so good!
D

·
Registered
2010 Army Green
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the Dorman one too. You’re not helping my confidence. I did notice it did not align with the tabs on the engine side that the OEM one did with it’s locking tab.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
99.9% of the time that either the Toyota aluminum housing or a good quality aftermarket aluminum housing leaks is because the large diameter O-ring has been installed incorrectly.

This has become such a common error that Toyota now prints an O-ring installation guide on the side of the filter box.

The O-ring is configured as a gland seal, and not a compression gasket. When the O-ring is correctly located, the leak-proof O-ring seal is established well before the filter housing stops turning when tightening it.

I see repeated claims that "the housing leaked when I started the engine, but then I tightened the crap out of it and it finally stopped leaking". This is because the O-ring is in the wrong place, and is acting as a compression gasket and not a gland seal. In this condition, the O-ring may blow out completely when the engine gets hot, dumping all your oil very quickly.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW AND WHERE THE LARGE O-RING IS SUPPOSED TO BE POSITIONED.
LOOK CAREFULLY AT THE ILLUSTRATIONS ON THE SIDE OF THE OIL FILTER BOX!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I’m running a Toyota aluminum housing and never had an issue. I’m not convinced the original plastic housing would ever be a problem either...unless it was WAY over tightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I am on my second Dorman aluminum housing. I switched after my plastic one started leaking (had the skids off and gravel chipped it). The first Dorman's drain plug snapped when attempting to drain the oil, but so far number 2 has held up.

·
Registered
FJ cruiser - 2012 - Manual Transmission
7 Posts
Is the aluminium filter housing for FJ exist in OEM toyota parts ?
I bought one for my tundra in OEM
Is the wrench cap same for Tundra and FJ

I am french owner and very few FJ in Europe..............
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts