Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2013 Iceberg (stock)/AT/loaded
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dream my entire adult life has been to live in the PNW, and I'm beyond thrilled that it's finally happening in a few months. I'll be in Salem OR to start while I figure out where in that general area (from McMinnville area to West Salem) I should live. Any suggestions on local, Oregon or PNW FJ Cruiser Facebook clubs would be much appreciated. Also, any specific suggestions on what to explore? So much to pick from, finally- state forests, national forests, the coast... I intend to have my stock front bumper replaced with a steel bumper and winch so I have some self-recovery ability. I'd love to meet up with any other FJ owners on any trail rides/meet ups etc.

Can't wait to get my Oregon license plates and live the PNW dream!

· Premium Member
97 Posts
Oregon born and raised. Stanton and up the Santiam canyon are nice places. There was a huge forest fire up they’re a couple years ago, but it’s still a great place up to and including the town of Lyons. Anything outside of the town of Salem, Stanton, McMinnville, etc. are quite little hamlets and a great place to live.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Browns camp is a 4x4 paradise. It’s a state forest and campground that’s a designated 4x4 trails. Sections like “Easy up to Can Opener” there is something for every level. Just Google it and download the map.
Much obliged for all the info!

· Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Browns Camp is a horse camp in Tillamok forest. We used to volunteer trail patrol. Lots of excellent camp sites there too. Spotty cell coverage so be sure to bring a CB or better yet, ham radio. Also be careful of folks using poor judgement while discharging firearms.

· Premium Member
5,754 Posts
You can add East of Salem, Detroit Lake and surrounding area. Also the back way for you up to Mt Hood provided all the roads are open. Winter closures and many closures due to the fires a few years back. Hopefully they'll be open come spring.

Fall City, southwest of Salem, back roads to the coast.

· Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser. AT, Convenience package, offroad package, CB
5,702 Posts
Browns camp is a 4x4 paradise. It’s a state forest and campground that’s a designated 4x4 trails. Sections like “Easy up to Can Opener” there is something for every level. Just Google it and download the map.
Fun place to wheel. I’ve done it with other members of this forum.

· Registered
723 Posts
It sounds like you might be more interested in the Backcountry Discovery Route type of exploring and camping. I've done 2-3 of the Oregon ones and half of the Washington route. The Idaho BDR is a great one too. In central and eastern Oregon there's also Christmas Valley, Fort Rock, Crack in the Ground, Painted Hills, Alvord Desert, etc.

Also there's usually an annual FJ Cruiser trip to Florence, Oregon on the Oregon Dunes the last week of March, first week of April. Lots of great people to meet there. Used to be a gigantic meetup with over 50 FJs but over the last 2-3 years it's gotten a bit smaller. Many of the people that post in the North West Region section have gone on this trip.

Like @BOBTAILFJ said, Tillamook State Forest is pretty awesome too. Lots of easy trails (and lots of hardcore ones too) where you can get to some fairly scenic views.

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Routes
Washington Backcountry Discovery Route
Some of the older picture threads of the Florence beach runs

Since you mentioned Facebook:
Northwest FJ Cruisers
PDX Overlanders

Welcome aboard!

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like you might be more interested in the Backcountry Discovery Route type of exploring and camping. I've done 2-3 of the Oregon ones and half of the Washington route. The Idaho BDR is a great one too. In central and eastern Oregon there's also Christmas Valley, Fort Rock, Crack in the Ground, Painted Hills, Alvord Desert, etc.

Also there's usually an annual FJ Cruiser trip to Florence, Oregon on the Oregon Dunes the last week of March, first week of April. Lots of great people to meet there. Used to be a gigantic meetup with over 50 FJs but over the last 2-3 years it's gotten a bit smaller. Many of the people that post in the North West Region section have gone on this trip.

Like @BOBTAILFJ said, Tillamook State Forest is pretty awesome too. Lots of easy trails (and lots of hardcore ones too) where you can get to some fairly scenic views.

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Routes
Washington Backcountry Discovery Route
Some of the older picture threads of the Florence beach runs

Since you mentioned Facebook:
Northwest FJ Cruisers
PDX Overlanders

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for all that great info. I'll put that trip to Florence, Oregon the last week of March/first week of April on my calendar. Will be new to the area so would be great to meet some fellow FJ owners. Tillamook State Forest is already on my "go to" list. Great to know there are some easy trails there. The BDR routes will have to wait until I get a new front bumper, winch, and more off road experience.
Cool, two FB FJ clubs! I'm gonna check them out. Much obliged!

· Registered
723 Posts
The BDR routes will have to wait until I get a new front bumper, winch, and more off road experience.
I wouldn't get too hung up on needing upgrades to run the BDRs, although it's always good to go with another rig. 95% of the BDRs are just forest roads and good for some exploration. In my opinion, they are actually pretty good for getting your feet wet with off pavement driving. You realize pretty fast how not hard core they are when you pass your first Camry going the other way. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts