Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a battle to get the tires mounted to the rims at first. It is an extremely tight fit to get the bead to seat in the lip for the lockring. Simply trying to force it was not the way to go. We came up with a pretty interesting solution using rollers, washers, bolts, and tire levers to get them on. Once we came up with the system, it was all good. No leaks, and IMO they look pretty damn good. I had to do a ghetto body mount chop.... I'm going to do it right soon, but it is fine for now. I pulled the mud flaps too because they were rubbing. So, here they are. Poison Spyder Customs spyderlock wheels and Mickey Thompson MTZ 285/70/r17:

They do stick out a bit from the fenders because of the 3.5in backspacing. I like the wider stance.

I think I may need to do some minor trimming to the actual plastic fender as I'm getting slight rub at full turns. Anyone else had to do this?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
sweet, real nice

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Looks like my coils settled a little bit more. It was perfectly level the other day.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I must also say that is a BAD A$$ combo!! :rocker:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Those Wheels and tires together look AWESOME!!!:rocker::rocker::rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Way cool - :cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Looks great!! as for the rubber mudflap rub, I've had it fo over 20 thousand miles, still havn't got the body mount chop. I wouldnt worry about it, they havn't even rubbed through.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! So far so good! I got that blue crap off last night when I was re-torquing the lockring bolts. Hot water takes it right off too. :rocker: I can't wait to get the new setup out on the trail. These MTZs are surprisingly quiet for such a beefy tread pattern. :wave:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Wow!.....what's the backspacing on those wheels??? They stick way out. I like it.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to post up a pic of the front view.

Also a shot of the staggered lockring... without the blue crap on the tires.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice looking combo, Jake! I was wondering what was taking you so long to get new wheels and shoes - definitely worth the wait! I like the BAJA MTZs.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes !! I'm likin that combo a lot.:rocker:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice looking combo, Jake! I was wondering what was taking you so long to get new wheels and shoes - definitely worth the wait! I like the BAJA MTZs.
Thanks Kipp! I'm really happy with how things turned out. I wanted to find something nobody else was running. The wheels in our size are on overstock sale marked down like $90 bucks each! $270 is a great price for sick beadlocks IMO.

Are you going to make it up the the cabin for the fourth? I hope you guys can make it. We need to start planning some trips to Silver Lake Dunes, The Mounds, The Cliffs, etc... Talk to you soon!

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
They look great, I have been looking at the PS beads myself.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I give them a big thumbs up so far. I'm going to post up some pics of how we got the bead to seat on the lip when I get my spare wheel. They accidently sent me a five lug wheel with my initial order, which is why I don't have the spare on yet. They shipped out the correct wheel the other day, so it should be here by friday. It took a bit of brain power to figure out how to get the bead seated. The directions say to just smack it on with a rubber mallet... HA! I will give them my life savings if one person can mount the wheel per the instructions by themselves. It is kind of complicated to explain how we did it, so I'll post pics as soon as we mount the fifth tire. The first tire took us over two hours to finally mount. Once we got the system down, it only took about ten minutes to do one. The most time consuming thing is torquing down the bolts on the lock ring. You have to go around like twenty times (i'm not kidding) before they are all evened up. This is the case with any external lock ring though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts