Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
it has landed! 3 years in search. Love it!
2007 only 95K on it.
Need some love!!!
And some rear view cam advice... looking for one? Any recommendations and where positions to install?

Premium Member
Welcome from Edmonton! I use the 2 cam system from Cobra Electronics, rear camera mounted on the rear cargo light looking out.

Reactions: ZamaFJ

Premium Member
Welcome aboard!

Premium Member
"Howdy!" from Houston!
This style replaces a license plate light

no drilling, etc., this is the one I got for my '07
~$16 (US) on Amazon
(there are about a bazillion vendors w/ varying prices, but I'm pretty sure they're all the same ...)
Darrell

Registered
Welcome. I mounted mine just above the trailer hitch. Makes backing up to connect to a trailer easy. Plus I can monitor it while driving. I have it hooked up via a switch, so I can turn it on at any time. I run with it on most of the time, since my rearview mirror is often blocked by a dog in the back seat.

Registered
Welcome from Vancouver!

Premium Member
Where did u mount it. Have a pic?
No pic (yet), previous owner mounted cam in rear bumper, but it died, so I picked up the license plate style cam.
The license plate/door handle "cover" houses 2 lights, (if you look at the pic in the link you can see the cam is angled & also has an LED so the light still functions).
You replace R/H license plate light w/cam (2 screws) & run wiring through the door then fish wiring through the conduit at the hinge (the PITA-ish part)
There are several, posts on tapping into the rev cam wire (under the D/S door sill)
My aftermarket Android head unit has camera input, newer "electronic" FJ mirrors w/ the postage stamp LCD are several hundred $$, so an aftermarket head unit w/ cam input (very common) is, IMO, the best option cost & utility wise (or stand alone monitor, but you need to consider the utility & mounting)
Darrell

Registered
2019 FJ Cruiser
I think the original cam is 6V, the new one will certainly be 12V. You will have to run it to your Head Unit or figure a way to power it up using 12 V.

Premium Member
Welcome from DC!

Banned
Hey first post. My wife bought me an Apple CarPlay system as well as a backup camera for my new to me 07 for my birthday in July. I have the camera slaved to the car play and the unit mounted to my hard shell spare tire cover. If I need to use the spare, just a quick disconnect on the back of the camera and it鈥檚 fully useable.

Premium Member
Welcome from Oregon :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts