Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Royal Purple Gear oil for the rear diff and the K&N oil filter. That stuff aint cheep but I can justify the expense.
I haven't purchased any motor oil yet. Royal Purple and Mobil 1 5w30 runs about $7 a quart around here. My question is, is the expense worth the cost knowing that I'll be changing the oil every six months and less than 5000 miles between.
My six month change is in August and I doubt if I'll have 4000 miles by then. I'm a low miles FJ er.
What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Yes. The full synthetic oils/fluids are worth their weight in gold (pun intended).

A friend of mine had a 2003 Mustang Mach 1. He blew his motor at the track, bad tune and a blower don't mix....blew a rod right out the oil pan. He ran regular oil in the engine (synth blend). The cylinders looked OK for having only 25,xxx miles on it. After the rebuild with VT engines and putting full synth oils (Royal Purple racing) in it after 3500 miles, he raced the car again. At 7500 miles we tore the motor down, and the motor looked completely new inside. The cylinders still had the honing marks on them. Yeah, not many miles on it, but proof enough for me that the full synthetics do their job very well!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I'm going to go synthetic. Thanks for the replies. There seems to be enough proof out there that shows that synthetics are simply better than regular oils.
I plan to be driving this FJ for many years and I want it to stay in top shape.
My only issue now is if there is a motor problem during the warranty period is Toyota going to blame it on my use of synthetics......Naw they wouldn't do that......:bandit:
I suppose my likelyhood of there being a motor issue when I;m using synthetics is diminished, right?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
i put the purple drank in my ride, yo.

it goes faster, idles smoother, gets better gas mileage, and sends the b!tches runnin' to me.

best 8 bucks a quart i've ever put into a non-performance engine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i put the purple drank in my ride, yo.

it goes faster, idles smoother, gets better gas mileage, and sends the b!tches runnin' to me.

best 8 bucks a quart i've ever put into a non-performance engine.
I'd rather have the b!tches running away from me frankly.:jester:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I would rather be right later than wrong now. Thats why I spend more to change my own oil than haveing the stealership do it. If you want to save a bit WalMart has the cheapest price on M1 5W-30. Personally, I use the RP.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would rather be right later than wrong now. Thats why I spend more to change my own oil than haveing the stealership do it. If you want to save a bit WalMart has the cheapest price on M1 5W-30. Personally, I use the RP.
Thanks but I'm boycotting Walmart. I'll pay the $7ea. at Costless. I do my oil changes myself as well. Without inside knowlage of the shop you take your investment to it's like Russain Rulett.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I picked up a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 at WM today for $22.84. I still have a half quart left from the last oil change, (a case of 6 bottles from Costco for $26) so my second change will cost around $25. Oh, I picked up 6 Pure One filters from Amazon for very cheap and free shipping a while back. Keeping the 18 year old at the lube rack away from my ride: Priceless.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I stick with Royal Purple. I posted this before but you can pick up RP at Walmart for $6.83 a quart. NOt sure that all Walmart's have it but it's worth the try.
as for all other lube ports, Royal Purple. Used Purple Ice Radiator additive the other day and noticed an immediate diff in running temps.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it :bandit:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I believe in the benefits of the higher priced oils, such as Royal Purple, Redline, etc. I've used nothing but M1 and RP in my SC300. After 120k miles, I was changing out all the gaskets and the interior of the engine looked spotless. Even the people working on the car with me were pretty impressed. Back in the day, me and my friends ran mustangs and in the summertime at the track, ran distilled water and RL water wetter in the coolant system and the car ran like a beaut all day long. Now the difference between one and another? your splitting hairs, but between conventional oils and synthetics? no comparisons.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a confession to make. I've worked at Costco for 24 years and I just discovered that we sell Mobil 1 5w-30. It's a case of 6 and it breaks down to $5.33 each. I'll be using that.
All I really pay attention to is the clock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts