Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I posted and have added a few things to the fj. finally got the bumper out of my head and into metal. also had tires and wheels on for a while now. Mickey thomson classics with 285 bfg mudders. The roof rack is different since my last pics too, though its been in use since last spring with many boat trips under its belt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Dude, I am diggin that bumper! Great job!:bigthumb:

How about explaining(with more pics) the piece you made that sits just beneath the headlights. I like that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I butchered the plastic bumper cover to make the trim pieces to go between the bumper and the grill. slight modification (cutting and bending) of the existing trim mounts allowed me to mount my homemade trim pieces. I used the vented piece out of the center and cut pieces from the corners to match the body curves. sorry I didn't take any pics during the process.

as for the rear, one of the end caps became the victim of the a tree so I removed both and mad a cover out of plastic for the hole. A work in progress trying to figure out what I want to do with it. get a pic in a minute and post it.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Very very nice!
That's the first tube bumper for a FJ that I've liked.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Here are some pics of the front trim pieces up close and the rear. The rear is a work in progress, not sure what I want to do yet. Suggestions?
Easiest may be to just add a 3rd piece of tube in that area that attaches to the bottom of the other tube and stinger (it may have a better cosmetic look not necessarily function). Other option may be to place another 2 bends in the top tube making it come up and cover that area and feed right into the plastic fender over the wheel well and do the same for the second tube, but I would make the stinger tube taller or it may look funny. It would give the front an appearance of more clearance in the wheel area. only things that I can think of for you. Looks good to me. I especially like the bash plate that comes all the way down from it.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I like it. I would say that I'd like it more if it was big enough to mount a winch on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice work!
I didn't think a large tube bumper would look good on an FJC, but you've proved it can. :cheers:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like it. I would say that I'd like it more if it was big enough to mount a winch on it.
thanks for the compliments! I considered making it to mount a winch but decided to make provisions on the back side so that with a few cuts I can add a 2" reciever to the center of the tubes to use one if I see the need later. Don't do a lot of hard core wheeling right now maybe more in the future.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Very sharp bumper. I'd buy one like it if someone were to market something similar. Good job

You just have to find a good fabricator. That's what I did. Feel free to check out my pics if you like and my bumper was made by Revenge Fab in Oregon. There is a link in my sig. You could find one to make a custom bumper in whatever design you like.

Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good, great job
Is that 1.5 diameter water pipe?
It looks it from the flat spots on the bends, that stuff sucks to work with.
no, Its 2.75" schedule 80 steel pipe, Cheap hydraulic bender caused the flat spots. makes it look different from the store bought:) wanted it to hold up well.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm liking what you've been doing.:rocker:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts