Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finishing painting my sliders and was thinking about coating the base plate with a spray on rubber. This might create a sort of seal against water seaping between the sliders and the frame forming a pocket for rust. I have a can of rubber in a spray can a type of Dip It. I did give them several coats of primer first.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I think that the rubber may peel off when you scrape against a rock or hard surface. Not sure what it would do for rust prevention because of moisture from temperature changes in the metal( hot days, cool nights with condensation forming in the metal tubes )

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
rubber between the parts will lead to loose fasteners over time (torque loss due to rubber creep)

Instead, apply a good quality body wax around the joint after installation (like Toyota does around the Door Hinges after installing the doors).

You can get body wax from Eastwood, or any good automotive paint shop.

N

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure if I was clear...I am considering coating the plates that go against the frames then the bolts go them to hold the sliders up. not going to coat the sliders themselves. see the plates that hold up the sliders I am considering coating the bottom with a thin layer with rubber

Attachments

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to use some red Loctite thread locker should eliminate loose fasteners.....I can still use the wax though to bad you cant get cosmoline anymore

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Gotcha..that makes more sense now, I thought you meant the sliders..sorry about that.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts