Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to mount a fire extinguisher in an FJ?

I'm looking for a place where the extinguisher would be readily accessable but wouldn't interfere with the driver/passengers or take up cargo space.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Where is the best place to mount a fire extinguisher in an FJ?

I'm looking for a place where the extinguisher would be readily accessable but wouldn't interfere with the driver/passengers or take up cargo space.

Any suggestions?
Well, technically everything is cargo space, so you have to put it some where. The lower bottle holder area on the drivers side access (clam shell) door could fit a smaller fire extinguisher. This is something i need to pick up as well.
The little area next to your feet on your door could work as well.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well, it depends. I mounted mine just below the rear seat behind the passenger. That way you can just reach over behind you and grab it. Most people I have seen with them have them in the rear, but since you want it up close, maybe under the glove box. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have a small one in the front door pocket incase i get trapped and the car is burning around me. That way I may be able to avoid burns until rescue. I'd keep a big extinguisher in the rear for bigger fires. Bigger is better when it comes to extinguishers. Also make sure it is rated for the correct combustables.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
I made a solid bar and two billet mounts for tnegiet (who I think is now banned, atleast temporarily :mecry:) and that is what I used for a while as well. Mine has come off in anticipation of the new MPAC siderack.

Tnegiet mounts:

Siderack:

I had them priced at $160 shipping included but the MPAC siderack may make these obsolete so I can budge on the price some on these last few if anyone is interested. There are solid 6061 aluminum, black anodized, and sturdy as can be, but you have to drill your own holes and mounting points etc. It's also up to to decide what you think is safe. It's your rig.

I really should get a bigger extinguisher, and knowing the crap that comes home on my clothes it should likely have a D rating. Mines a midsize ABC bling bling (chrome) sucker.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Here is where I mounted mine.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If you have the set up like the one pictured in FJoel's pic, you might be able to mount it next to the co2.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I don't have a pic of mine but it's right where his radios are in the pic below \/\/\/\/\/\/ . I used super quick fists to hold it in place. One at the base and one near the top, so two quick pulls and the fire extinguisher is ready for action.
Here is where I mounted mine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Similar to the one that FJoel has... but mine is the cheapy version. I had a piece of lexan laying around (but you could use wood, aluminum, plastic, whatever...), so all i needed to do was measure, cut, and drill it to fit where the plastic "tie downs" are on the driver's side rear area. I bought 2 rubber tube stoppers (like a wine cork), drilled a hole through the middle, and also bought 2 longer bolts to replace the ones that were back there.

I removed the stock bolts, put the stopper between the lexan and the plastic hook things that were back there, and tightened it all up.

Sky's the limit as far as what you can mount on there. I have my fire extinguisher and a couple quick fists (mag-lite, and winch remote)... Here's an early pic of the final setup. Best part, no drilling into any plastic, so the setup is fully removeable.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice looking setups. VooDude....I was wondering if you could place those tie-downs you removed back in their original position? Using the longer bolts etc, but put the tie-downs against the face of the Lexan so they would be sandwiched between the Lexan and the head of the bolt. Basically right where they where but along the face of the Lexan.

My refrigerator isn't as organized as some of these FJ's crago areas.

Good job

·
Registered
952 Posts
Mounted behind the driver side (attached to the sleeping platform/storage) within easy access of the driver

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
What ever happened to the M-Pac side rack?

I made a solid bar and two billet mounts for tnegiet (who I think is now banned, atleast temporarily :mecry:) and that is what I used for a while as well. Mine has come off in anticipation of the new MPAC siderack.

Tnegiet mounts:

Siderack:

I had them priced at $160 shipping included but the MPAC siderack may make these obsolete so I can budge on the price some on these last few if anyone is interested. There are solid 6061 aluminum, black anodized, and sturdy as can be, but you have to drill your own holes and mounting points etc. It's also up to to decide what you think is safe. It's your rig.

I really should get a bigger extinguisher, and knowing the crap that comes home on my clothes it should likely have a D rating. Mines a midsize ABC bling bling (chrome) sucker.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
What type is the best to get for vehicles (which could include gas and or electrical fires)
I am thinking about mounting one next to my CO2 tank in the rear of the FJ. This way i can mount a little bit larger one.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
What ever happened to the M-Pac side rack?
Dude... they are on SALE!

:lol:

Come on man, I may take a while to get some products finalized, but I do eventually get them into production. :)

Then there are parts like the spare tire studs where only two of you guys have them besides me, because I am unsure of compatability with aftermarket wheels. I gotta get those up for sale, I only have about a hundred of them. I've got 50 oil caps turned too, but I want to be sure of alignment before I mill those. Enough of those stressful parts I'm sitting on:

Here is the link to the sideracks.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/springtail-solutions/57579-presale-m-pac-side-rack-combo.html

My favorite part is the mounts but that's just my machinist pride talkin'

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
What type is the best to get for vehicles (which could include gas and or electrical fires)
I am thinking about mounting one next to my CO2 tank in the rear of the FJ. This way i can mount a little bit larger one.
You want an ABC.

Class D is for burning metals. I often get enough small particles of metal on me that I wonder if an ABC would save me if I was on fire. :lol: Some aluminum/magnesium alloys are bad for that, especially in little chips/dust.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thanks Joel. I thought that I had bookmarked that site! I love those spare studs!

Dude... they are on SALE!

:lol:

Come on man, I may take a while to get some products finalized, but I do eventually get them into production. :)

Then there are parts like the spare tire studs where only two of you guys have them besides me, because I am unsure of compatability with aftermarket wheels. I gotta get those up for sale, I only have about a hundred of them. I've got 50 oil caps turned too, but I want to be sure of alignment before I mill those. Enough of those stressful parts I'm sitting on:

Here is the link to the sideracks.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/springtail-solutions/57579-presale-m-pac-side-rack-combo.html

My favorite part is the mounts but that's just my machinist pride talkin'

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts