Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Front Fire Extinguisher:

Tried a few locations that would not intrude on driver and passengers (or folded rear seats), yet remained accessable by the driver. The glove box will fit a Kidde 10BC. The driver side door space won't fit a Kidde 10BC completely, but I think modifying would make this locations ideal. I would really like to know if one of the halogen types will fit in the drivers door without modification. The halogens cost over $100, but fire = :(

Rear Fire Extinguisher:

The right rear deck or right rear door would be ideal for an ABC type, but the extinguisher would intrude on cargo space, and likely be burried under cheetos and whiskey, or ditched due to space requirements. If you don't have the subwoofer, a Kidde 10BC will fit in the right rear storage hideyhole, and/or a FirstAlert 1A10BC will fit on the right rear wheel deck (with magical staps).

On the left rear wheel deck, a Kidde 3A40BC (or larger) will fit fantastically with some sort of custom mount. Guess what I've been working on...

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
I found this one which may be worth considering

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=3440

I've ordered a number of products from those guys and have found them to be very prompt and reliable.

The one pounder (A,B extinguisher and safe for computers) is 24" x 6.5" -- don't have the vehicle to see where it'll fit. It may be too large for general convenience. The fact it's environmentally safe and ok for computer electronics is a plus in modern vehicles. At US$20 (plush shipping) they're cheap compared to halon but may be too large to be practical. I'm still looking...

I'm a fan of having an extinguisher handy... while not necessarily for vehicle fires only; they can be useful for campsite mishaps or the like. An ounce of prevention that I'm glad to carry :)

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like 4th or 5th as well, for easy access. Glove box would be good, but I use that for so much other storage stuff, the rear seems the best option to me.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Has anyone tried to put a fire extinguisher in the suicide door lower holder? I think this is where the concept was showing them stored. I'm looking for a place and think it might work. If you've had any luck, let us know mfg. and dimensions.Thanks
Ernie

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Here are my two in my '91 4Runner.
They will both be going in the FJ.
I see no reason why the mount for the stianless steel one will not mount in the back, and also the mount for the red one up front on my Husky liner should screw into the Toyota All Weather mats just fine & dandy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Guys,

I mounted my Halon H3 on the passenger side of the center console down by their leg area. If you don't get too large of a canister. It will fit and is within easy reach of both the driver and the passenger.

PS - Halon may be more expensive but works on everything especially electrical and isn't nearly as messy.

Cruiserdude...:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
adam12hicks said:
If my FJ ever catches fire I'm gonna let it burn. Then I get a new one. Who wants a half-burnt FJ Cruiser anyways? :)
Photo without caption:

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
FJ4me said:
Jeeeeeeeeeeezeeee!

The hell happed there?!?!?!
Prototype...no vin...therefore destroyed

Thorns to T2cruiser and anyone else (ie Noisycow and "his" avatar) who confuses those that haven't been around long enough! :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
BigBadFJ said:
any idea on how effective an extinguisher is after the constant heat build up inside a car during the day.

Wow! I finally get to answer a question with some knowledge.

Worked as a fulltime firefighter for 10 years, have worked part time as a fire extinguisher tech for 3 years at Fererra Fire Inc., quit there to teach part time and Louisiana State University Fire and Emergency Training Institute.

I do have an idea as far as how effective it will be. The extinguisher itself is not effected by heat build up what so ever. Remember this things are ment to withstand a little heat for fire operations. But you can check some things on the extinguisher to help yourself out in the event of fire. First: Nozzle. Make sure it doesn't have any creepy crawls inside that found a nice home. In vehicles it'll be dirt dobbers maybe just dirt in general from a dirty ride.
Second: Hose (attached to the nozzle) make sure it's not dry rotten. For vehicles this can be common because of the heat of the day, but if it's under 4 years old it shouldn't be a problem, as it usually takes this long for this to naturally happen. Third: Pressure Guage. It's on the side and should be in the "green" if not, drop by a firestation and have them check it out.

Here's some more knowledge. There are different types of extinguishers A,B,C,D,K,Halon, Wet.
Class A Fire= ancipiant, woods, papers
Class B Fire= Flammable Liquids
Class C Fire= Electrical Fires
Class D Fire= Flammable Metal
Class K Fire ext.= For grease fires, you'll see these in Hood systems in Kitchens
Halon=Stay Away From Them YOU CAN DIE FROM ASORBTION OF HALON! They're mainly used in big computer rooms for servers and in plants but are being phased out due to the dangers of it's use.
Wet extinguishers= "Pump Cans" or water extinguishers really self explanitory.

cruiserdude, I see you HAVE a Halon. I'd get ride of it my man. They are phasing these out because security guards come check on the room to see if it is fire, and bam. . .instant vegtable. We wear full gear when a Halon system is discharged even if by accedent with no fire. That's only if you have to go in there.I'd bring it by and exchange it for an ABC ext. Cheaper on funeral fees too.

I'd mount a 5lb. ABC ext. if needed. But remember even though it has a "C" on it for electrical fire it will still carry a charge. It uses a "broken" pattern of dry powder type ABC Chemical (which is also HIGHLY corrosive too!) but the problem is that is discharges so fast it will give you a little jolt. It won't hurt to bad, just enough to let you know it's there and you stop. But you can kick it back up again.

Stay at least 5 ft away and sweep DO NOT GOUGE ANY FUEL and be mindfull of people around you.

Also I'm with the other guy on here. LET THAT SUCKER BURN! Call the FD and your insurance company, that's why you've got it! But for now if you want to have one the best to buy is called a "Purple K". It's best on vehicle fires.http://www.smokesign.com/purkfirex.html

That's the one's the military carries in all of they're vehicles, even tanks and choppers.

Oh yeah forgot about Co2 Extinguishers, but don't worry about those in a vehicle. WAAAAaaayy TO HEAVY!

·
Registered
110 Posts
A shameless bump of thread so maybe the question is answered but there's some info to keep some of you safe.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Only thing I would add to WildBill's outstanding post is that when you go and buy a fire extinguisher spend the extra money to get one with an all metal nozzle/trigger handle. They are considerably more reliable than the plastic nozzles for a variety of different reasons. And if you go to use it, there's probably a very important reason (like your FJ is burning up!) so you definitely want it to work...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Got a smaller kiddie in my rear door net... Hope to never need it, but Oregon OHV regulations for Class II vehilces (jeeps, sand rails, FJ's) say you need one...

--Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
adam12hicks said:
If my FJ ever catches fire I'm gonna let it burn. Then I get a new one. Who wants a half-burnt FJ Cruiser anyways? :)
I started carrying one when I pulled into a large parking lot, and saw a family watch a small fire build under the hood of their car. Had I had an extinguisher at the time, the damage could've been kept to a minumum.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts