Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
If my FJ ever catches fire I'm gonna let it burn. Then I get a new one. Who wants a half-burnt FJ Cruiser anyways? :)
In Florida at least, it's not optional. If you're wheeling in a national or florida state forest you're required to have a hatchet, shovel and fire extinguisher at a minimum. The reason is that some of our FL wildfires have been caused by 4x4s and ATVs hot exhaust touching dry tinder.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I just ordered this one 5 minutes ago.
Model HG250R - Red Clean Agent Fire Extinguisher

No thermal shock to electronics
No mess or damage to vehicle or surfaces
Liquefied gas extinguishes hard-to-reach fires
Does not impair operator's vision
EPA approved
Listed and rated 2B:C by Underwriters Laboratories
Rechargeable
Made in U.S.A.
2-strap mounting bracket
6' - 10' discharge range
High quality steel cylinders
All metal valve construction
Compact, lightweight, easy to use
One year limited warranty

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well as it's been many moons sence I've last logged in. I came in to check the ole' forums and stumbled back on this post. Glad to see people doing some hard research into this. Corey it looks like your making the right decision with that exting. your getting there.

I'd be very happy with the metal nozzle instead of the good ole' dry rottable, and plugable rubber hose nozzle. If it gets dirty from trail rideing and not use. A quick blast or pass with the air hose and a small squirt of WD40 would help. Although in some cases WD has been known to gum up, We used them in repairs to valves and never had one fail in thousands of them. Kept the rubber gasket lubed properly I guess.

Hope everyone out there is staying safe, well as much as possible!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very nice set up. Having a back up is allways a plus in my book!

Does the cabinet recieve alot of heat there? I've heard of and have seen pics of some heat issues in the rear right there on the floor. May want to put the "backup" at a different point in the vehicle in case you need to extinguish the rear. You'll allways have at least one good one. Otherwise, great setup, great idea.

Anyone bring up first aid kits yet? I could go on forever about those.....
I've allways kept a few carboard splints, a C-Collar, Snake Bit Kit, Ice Bag, Pocket Mask, a few assorted sized bandaids, and some pepto for you know what.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
That does not get hot there in my rig.
Thanks for the comps.

I carry a home made firstaid kit all the time along with a nice Boeing one that I won.

I also take a third one along with my gear when I go wheeling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about attaching them to the back side of the head rest on the poles. It seems to me with a little modification to the attachment bracket it could sit nicely and be easily accessible by both the driver and a passenger.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
An old thread, I have moved my fire extinguisher a few times now.
It was on the Powertank bracket when mounted to the top of my cargobox, then moved the passenger side panel you can remove that sits horizontally where a factory subwoofer would go.

This past Wednesday I mounted a second Springtail side rack on the passenger side, and now the bottle sits next to my new ARB dual air compressor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Corey,
New to the off road scene. What is the air compressor for-work or a need one might experience out off road?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Hello, it is for both tire maintenance as in checking/filling my tires once a month, and for airing back up the tires from 18 PSI to street pressure of 40 PSI after tooling around in the mountains.
Here are more details on it.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/3336073-post274.html

41 - 53 of 53 Posts