Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Firestik antenna on the FJ. After offroading last weekend I came home and found the cap was missing. The cap was the black cap with yellow writing. I tried ordering a new one from Amazon but got in a cap that's too big. I apparently have the thinner style antenna.

Where can I get the smaller caps other then eBay? I'd like another black one, or even red. It would be nice if I could order from Firestiks website but it appears to be from 1995 and there's no way to order from the site.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Admin
6,514 Posts
When I was going through Kane Creek Canyon I lost the tip of mine... radioed (sp?) back when I noticed... lo' and behold someone found a tip! Turned out to be not mine though and didn't fit!!! :lol:

Fast forward to a new antennae (replaced for different reason) and I shrink wrapped my tip onto the antennae with some red shrink tube... it's held up nicely through the tight bush trails.
:cheers:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Send me your addy and I'll drop one in the mail....free of charge. Let me know if it is the firestik or Firefly. I keep a box of both. :)
Well this is what I ordered which wasn't correct.

I seem to remember it looking a lot like this, so I think it was the firefly. The one I ordered was for a larger diameter antenna.

This is really very nice of you and greatly appreciated. This forum and it's members are fantastic. :cheers:

One more of the one I had. It's hard to see the cap but you can probably look at the antenna and see what diameter it is. This is probably a coupe minutes before I lost it. This track had some low branches.

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
When I was going through Kane Creek Canyon I lost the tip of mine... radioed (sp?) back when I noticed... lo' and behold someone found a tip! Turned out to be not mine though and didn't fit!!! :lol:

Fast forward to a new antennae (replaced for different reason) and I shrink wrapped my tip onto the antennae with some red shrink tube... it's held up nicely through the tight bush trails.
G'day,
Hope you did the whole antenna in shrink-wrap..... :lol:
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And for when this happens again, because apparently it doesn't take much to rip it off, is there a place I can order them through? The only place I seem to be able to find is rightchannelradios.com and it takes a couple weeks to get it here.

I've ready having the tip on actually changes the tune of the radio Will I effect the tune if I use some heat shrink to keep this thing on there?

·
Admin
6,514 Posts
G'day,
Hope you did the whole antenna in shrink-wrap..... :lol:
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Not a bad idea Baz!! :thinkerg: :rofl:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
And for when this happens again, because apparently it doesn't take much to rip it off, is there a place I can order them through? The only place I seem to be able to find is rightchannelradios.com and it takes a couple weeks to get it here.

I've ready having the tip on actually changes the tune of the radio Will I effect the tune if I use some heat shrink to keep this thing on there?
The tip being off changes the SWR minutely. Not enough to worry about. Shrink wrap won't hurt it. I have done them in colors for people. Just have to reset the SWR afterwards.

·
Registered
642 Posts
After losing a few caps over the years, I've learned to secure them with a little silicone. It's just enough to hold them snug, but will not hold them permanently like glue (so you can tune if needed in the future).

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
when i lost mine. i sent firestik an email and sent me a few extra for free.

they also recommended spraying the tip with hairspray to make it stay on....

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
... I shrink wrapped my tip onto the antennae with some red shrink tube... it's held up nicely through the tight bush trails.
Nice "tip"

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack here but is it acceptable to wrap a little electrical tape between the tip and the antenna as a preventive measure? Will it throw out the tuning with a few wraps to secure it from branch and tree carnage?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shipped FEX today.
Got it in the mail and put on today and put on. Thanks again! Little dab of silicon and hopefully it'll stay put.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts