Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say I chose Firestone Destination AT's 265/70/17 and just got to try them out at the Raush Easter run the northeasters just had. They performed good on rock, mud and I think I may have broke traction once. I have a 3" lift but stuck with the 265 for economic reasons. No change in gas milage and no tire noise. Now just have to see how long they last. Thumbs up Firestone!:clap:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Those tires are awesome !
That is all I have had for years on all my vehicles. They wear like a pigs nose.
They go great in everything... ! (Didn't do any crawling) Got me out of a few places that my Tacoma should have never been..... lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had 2 sets on my TJ and they were great. VERY good on wet roads. Very good off-road, not great in mud, but not bad. I think I got about 30-40k from each set.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope I get more millage than that, I was seeing posts with people getting fifty thousand out of them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that I got 285s towards the end of last year & I can't say enough about them. They were great over the winter and I just took them on the beach for the first time this season. I have no complaints whatsoever. They look great & the highway noise was much better than expected.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Looking at Tirerack, they have two different prices for these. Can anyone explain the reason to choose one over the other (or why the price difference). Thank you.

Size: 285/70R17
Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
Serv. Desc: 117T
UTQG: 460 A B
Price: $166.00 (each)

Size: 285/70R17
Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
Serv. Desc: 121/118R
Load Range: E
UTQG: None
Price: $224.00 (each)
*** These have a caption underneath: Road Hazard Program is not available for LT metric/flotation tires

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The cheaper ones are a "passenger"(p-metric) tire: lighter with thinner side walls.

The more expensive ones are "light truck"(LT-metric) tires: E-load rating has more plys so they're heavier, stronger and stiffer.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I just purchased mine on Wednesday. I go the LT 265/75R16, which are a "C" load bearing tire. A key is the maximum pressure rating stamped into the tire sidewall. If it says 50 psi maximum it is likely a "C". The P 265/75R16 are thinner wall and have a 44 psi maximum stamped into the tire sidewall.

I got 52500 miles from my first set of tires, Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos LT 265/75R16, but it appears they are no longer manufactured in the light truck ("C" load rating). I want a more substantial sidewall than is offered by the passenger tire, but not as stiff as an "E" rated tired, which is why I opted for the Firestone AT Destinations in the LT series.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Hmm. In the 285/70/17, they only have passenger and LT with load range of E. I see in the 265/75R16 they have the C.

I currently have the stock 265/70/17 but need new tires and am getting an OME lift on Monday. Am I really at a disadvantage with the passenger tires vs a Load Range of C? How would a load range of E or C affect mileage, road noise, etc? Most miles will be driven on road but I don't want the tires to rip if they hit a rock off roading.

I like the Firestone Destinations. Any other tire size suggestions? I don't want to get killed at the gas pump either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts