Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I need some help. I have a 2007 FJ, no lift, regular Toyo Tires, nothing really special besides a hand-painted pinstripe and 'FJ Extreme' decal on the side. Here's a picture:

Sorry if it's not too big. Anyway, I'm going to college in a couple months, and I want to do a bit more off-roading in my FJ besides the occasional half-muddy open field and dirt path, so I've decided to do some work to it.

The problem is, I don't know what to do first. I have about 2500 to spend, and I know I want a lift kit and better tires, and a CB radio, but besides that I'm lost on what to get first, basically the essentials. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it were me I would go with an OME 3in lift and some 285/80/17 tires of your choice. That is right in your price range. Plus some money left over to get it all installed. Maybe even through in some light racing UCA's.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Welcome JamesCricketLee!

The first things i add to any offroad vehicle are the following.
More aggressive tires
Small lift, usually in the 2-4" range (like the OME kits do)
CB
Rock rails.

Rock rails being more important than all. You don't even want to know how much it cost to repair rocker panel/door damage from taking a hit here offroading. I can't even count how many times the rock rails have saved me/helped me.

Here is what mine looked like with OME lift and 285 BFG and rock rails.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Though I would say that you may not actually need the lift out the door, but if you've got the money now, might as well. So for me, I would say,

1st Rock Rails
2nd Recovery Gear
3rd Lift
4th Tires
5th A comparison thread of CB's
6th Skid (I'm fond of Ricochet, plus the price is nice)
and after that it really is whatever floats your boat. Want a winch? You'll need a bumper or lucrum mount. Most of the above sites are supporting vendors of the forum, and they may offer a discount for forum members. I know toytec does, the discount covered the shipping when I ordered my lift.

For the record, I did not follow my own advice. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the help. I already have rock rails, they're just hard to see in the picture. I'll check out the first $2000 thread and such, thanks alot.
Oh, and Layonn, two questions: What front bumper/brush guard is that, and does the dog come standard?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It's an ARB bumper. Mine didn't come standard with a dog, so I went out and bought two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts