Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,my Black Diamond 2009 FJ hit the 35k marker.

And im ready for some changes after being hooked to off roading.

Im thinking a new set of shoes and a 3'' lift.

Im looking for an aggressive looking rig

Is M/T tires have a disadvantage on normal road ?

After an internet research i found out that my best deal was OME 3'' lift and BFG M/T KM.

What do u guys suggest ? thx for the help:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
First and foremost be aware right now, if you lift it and put bigger tires on it, your MPG will go down. Every rig is different, me personally I went down about 3 to 4mpg. Sucks but as they say, gotta pay to play. Only dissadvantage I can think of for MTs on the road is, 1. they make noise, 2. in the event of an emergency I believe I've heard they're not as good at being evasive, 3. rolling resistance and larger mass = MPG suck, 4. every MT is different but they tend to be not the very best tire for driving in the rain.

With all that said, you're looking at a very good quality MT, as in, not a cheap one. I think you'll be fine with # 2, and 4. But you will have to learn to live with # 1, and 3.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Tom, killing hookers and hiding them in hotel mattresses again?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Lower control arms are easily bent so look at either spares or some upgraded models.

Recovery gear is essential because you WILL get stuck.

A lift and tires will go a long way in the looks department and will add some much needed ground clearance. Capt Sensible makes a good point though, they come with a few drawbacks.

The biggest thing is to never wheel alone!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Tom, killing hookers and hiding them in hotel mattresses again?
Of course! Why do you think I got an FJ with its easy to maintain hose-out interior? Have you tried cleaning hooker blood out of carpet??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Of course! Why do you think I got an FJ with its easy to maintain hose-out interior? Have you tried cleaning hooker blood out of carpet??
No. I just go into the very poor parts of town, steal an old crown vic, or something similar, rip out the carpet and use that for a couple of days. Then ultimately set it on fire on the side of a rural road. Been working for me for years now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of last weekend when OME lift was installed, that is exactly what I've got. Though I've got the tall and skinny "pizza cutter" KM2s...not sure if you like that or the wider tire better.

Anyway there are some crappy cell phone hotel parking lot pics here.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...lot-puddles-havin-little-fun.html#post1819482
I think ill go with the wider tires.

Are you satisfied with the result of the lift and the new shoes ? Is handling worth now ? Or its just smooth ?

Thx for sharing,it really helped !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First and foremost be aware right now, if you lift it and put bigger tires on it, your MPG will go down. Every rig is different, me personally I went down about 3 to 4mpg. Sucks but as they say, gotta pay to play. Only dissadvantage I can think of for MTs on the road is, 1. they make noise, 2. in the event of an emergency I believe I've heard they're not as good at being evasive, 3. rolling resistance and larger mass = MPG suck, 4. every MT is different but they tend to be not the very best tire for driving in the rain.

With all that said, you're looking at a very good quality MT, as in, not a cheap one. I think you'll be fine with # 2, and 4. But you will have to learn to live with # 1, and 3.
Thank u . This post was really helpful . I think living with it is my best deal !:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You're welcome. I do what I can. Oh and welcome aboard, if I haven't greated you as of yet.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
No. I just go into the very poor parts of town, steal an old crown vic, or something similar, rip out the carpet and use that for a couple of days. Then ultimately set it on fire on the side of a rural road. Been working for me for years now.
See, that's why they call you Capt Sensible!

I think ill go with the wider tires.

Are you satisfied with the result of the lift and the new shoes ? Is handling worth now ? Or its just smooth ?

Thx for sharing,it really helped !
Oh yeah I love the lift. The handling is definitely better. It's a little firmer. I've got the mediums in the front (they call them heavy now cos they don't recommend the old heavies for the FJ anymore) and light in the back. It's a real nice ride. It can be a little bouncy at times (until I get a heavier bumper) at slow speeds but on the highway the ride is sweet! You won't hear a complaint from me :bigthumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See, that's why they call you Capt Sensible!

Oh yeah I love the lift. The handling is definitely better. It's a little firmer. I've got the mediums in the front (they call them heavy now cos they don't recommend the old heavies for the FJ anymore) and light in the back. It's a real nice ride. It can be a little bouncy at times (until I get a heavier bumper) at slow speeds but on the highway the ride is sweet! You won't hear a complaint from me :bigthumb:
I was really worried cos my brother keeps on telling me that the ride wont be smooth anymore ! Ill make sure he reads this post :p

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Well, all of this stuff is subjective you know. It's not as smooth as the stock ride. but lots of people will tell you the stock ride has too much give. Like the nose dive when you stop. And a lot of people will tell you a lift will be too stiff. OME recommends lights all around if you aren't going to have an aftermarket front bumper and be towing/hauling a lot in the back. They recommend mediums if you are. So if you follow those guidelines I think you should be pretty happy. I have mediums in the front and no bumper and I am still digging the ride. But you might not like it.

And note that light will still be stiffer than stock. I was a little concerned getting light in the back cos I occasionally tow my motorcycle around and know that I would occasionally have some stuff in the back and I didn't want to be dragging ass all over town. The guy pointed out that light still has a higher weight rating than stock.

You can call ARB (they distribute OME) and talk to the guys there. I have called a couple times and they have always been super helpful!

Also, maybe there is someone locally who will give you a ride and let you feel the ride for yourself!

·
Registered
132 Posts
My first bucks are going to lights! And then more aggressive tires, maybe the Toyo MT ones. I think in the stock configuration this vehicle is able to handle the off road obstacles I need it too so I am not getting a lift till I feel I need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts