Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked out and my parents found a good deal on an '07 Silver 2wd FJ, and they suprised me with it for my 16th birthday last September. I want to 'trick it out' I guess, because it's basically a bare bones 2wd FJ and I don't know what mods I should do first to improve its looks. It doesn't have a roof rack, and when my parents brought it home it had horribly cheap-looking hubcaps on it and I immediately removed them, I like the look of the black steelies better anyway. I added subwoofers in the back, and that's the only mod I've had done to date. Now that it's summer I can work more, so I can afford to spend more on my FJ.

I have a few things in mind that I'd like to do to my FJ: (in no particular order, except roof rack first)

- Roof rack so I can take the paddleboard to the beach
- Actual black rims, bigger than my current 17in steelies, but nothing "gangsta"
- Bigger tires with better tread for light offroading, trails, mud pits, etc.
- bermuda black LED tail lights
- halo LED headlights
- 3in Rough Country lift
- TRD exhaust
- Possibly blacking it out with the TRD black out parts

Basically I'd like to know what I should get first, if I'm missing anything important on the list above, if there are any cheaper substitutes to the mods listed above, and if there are any cool little touch-ups that will make my FJ look nicer. Even though its summer, I still only work 3 days a week at 8 bucks an hour, and I have to pay for gas among other things, so it will be awhile before everything is complete.

Make sure to check out the pics I attatched!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Instead of spending money to buy the trail teams black bumper parts, just take em off and paint them yourself, much cheaper! And there are some DIY threads you can find on here to give u an idea on how to go about doing it.

As for a roof rack, I agree that should be your first investment! The FJ looks almost naked without it! Lol

I don't suggest you get bigger rims tho, unless you jus want to go with 18", but 20" and more is more for flashy type SUVs ...like hummers ect.
But to each his own!

A lift is a must! I have a 3"RC lift myself and for what it is and the price, it's a great addition to my FJ.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome!! It is my first car too. got mine two years ago when i turned 16. I work pretty much the same as you so i know how you feel. well my advice from someone your age is
1. to take your time and think about the things your buying. if your not going to use them on a day to day basis then it may not be worth the cash.
For instnace the springtail m-pack racks are sick! but are exspensive for a highschool student.
2. search the forum... I made my own style rack for around $15
3. have fun!!!
o and dont be afraid to ask questions.. I was at first but everyone is nice around here.
My list was and is in order
1. Hella 500ff (behind front grill)
2. inside blue LEDs
3. Rough country 2.2 perf. 3 inch lift
Future mods
black out
baja rack
sliders
skids

:rocker:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
As for a roof rack, I agree that should be your first investment! The FJ looks almost naked without it! Lol
I agree! mine came with the OEM roof rack and use it every weekend taking my surfboards to the beach :bigthumb: oh and welcome!

·
Registered
69 Posts
2wd....just level it and do 285s and call it a day! after the roof rack of course. don't invest much in it
Lol, don't listen to em! I got a 4x2 myself and I've been offroading with a few of my coworkers that have 4x4 jeeps, I didn't have any trouble what so ever in any obstacle that got in our way. Not that anything was "hard" or "extreme" offroading, but for moderate trails every now and then, our 4x2s are more than capable. My FJ is my everyday vehicle and can take me places my previous cars couldn't take me (trails, beaches, camping ect..) I plan on modding my 4x2 alot more! Bumpers, winch, air locker, exhaust, cai ect!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Definitely just paint the parts, the TT parts are extremely expensive. I wouldnt get any super aggressive tire, it's only 2wd and it already gets bad enough mileage and the lift will kill off some mpg also. Have fun, and congrats on the car!

·
Registered
483 Posts
dont buy the parts like i did i spend a grand on them total for all the tt parts...wate of money...although they look sexy and wont chip in this spastic ny weather

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to the forums!
There is tons of information on this forum to sort through. Like they have said above, people on here are very helpful. Don't hesitate to ask questions.
Check out your local sub forum and local clubs.
And most importantly, have fun with it!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I would figure out what you want you want to do with the FJ - mudding, trails, rock gardens, dessert runner etc.

Once you know that you will know what mods you need, the it just becomes a matter of doing them as the $$$$$ allows.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Lol, don't listen to em! I got a 4x2 myself and I've been offroading with a few of my coworkers that have 4x4 jeeps, I didn't have any trouble what so ever in any obstacle that got in our way. Not that anything was "hard" or "extreme" offroading, but for moderate trails every now and then, our 4x2s are more than capable. My FJ is my everyday vehicle and can take me places my previous cars couldn't take me (trails, beaches, camping ect..) I plan on modding my 4x2 alot more! Bumpers, winch, air locker, exhaust, cai ect!
Sounds like you need a 4x4!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like you need a 4x4!
Lol, no not at all! Like I said, I hold my own with the 4x4s I go with! I drive on the street 95% of the time and the 5% of the time I'm off road, I don't need a 4x4 to do so! Beach trips/ camping trips / moderate trails every now and then with the buddies. You 4x4 guys don't really depend on 4x4 all the time do you? What's the fun in that, aren't trails supposed to be challenging?

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Lol, no not at all! Like I said, I hold my own with the 4x4s I go with! I drive on the street 95% of the time and the 5% of the time I'm off road, I don't need a 4x4 to do so! Beach trips/ camping trips / moderate trails every now and then with the buddies. You 4x4 guys don't really depend on 4x4 all the time do you? What's the fun in that, aren't trails supposed to be challenging?
Once I hit the trails the truck stays in 4LO whether I really need it or not. With Toyota's pesky driving aids (ABS, VSC, and traction control) coming on all the time, I don't want to even chance one of those engaging and sending me flying down a cliff. I don't know what trails you run (and I'm not trying to sound all extreme, snobby, or anything here lol) but moderate trails don't do anything for me. Cleghorn is the easiest trail I will do around here, and even that becomes a bore after a few times. I prefer to hit up Johnson Valley, Miller Jeep Trail, or Hollister Hills. My truck is on the street probably more than 95% of the time too...I haven't wheeled in two months (I am going through withdrawals :mecry: )! To me, a 2wd FJ is kinda an oxymoron.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd still be way more than stoked if I was the OP and my parents bought me one :cheers:

On a side note, introduce yourself over on the SoCal forum!!! I saw you were a new member!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've never been to cleghorn or any of the other trails you've mentioned, the most fun I've had were in some hills in Moreno Valley by my sisters house! Lol I would love to go to some of these trails and I'll just drive behind you and if I get stuck u can pull me out! Hahaha

Oh yea I forgot I registered over there!

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
I've never been to cleghorn or any of the other trails you've mentioned, the most fun I've had were in some hills in Moreno Valley by my sisters house! Lol I would love to go to some of these trails and I'll just drive behind you and if I get stuck u can pull me out! Hahaha

Oh yea I forgot I registered over there!
DOH! :silly:

Let me know if you ever feel like running cleghorn! Are you locked in the rear?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
^^^ You have to replace the whole axle to do it. Fjs have held their value really well. If you want to wheel I would consider selling yours and getting a 4WD. You can spend a lot of money modding a 2WD that will never be as capable as a 4WD. My .02 :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^ You have to replace the whole axle to do it. Fjs have held their value really well. If you want to wheel I would consider selling yours and getting a 4WD. You can spend a lot of money modding a 2WD that will never be as capable as a 4WD. My .02 :cheers:
x2.

And to the op, just keep the steelies for now, paint your trim, look out for the for sale section (plus put an add in the want to buy section) you can get a used factory roof rack for cheap. As for the lift, depending on how hardcore of trails you're looking at, and since you're 2wd I'd think not that rough, just get a leveling kit and save some money. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts