Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
bump... nobody? :/ Will I be okay with running stock 2wd suspension on the 5100's and 1.5 rear spacers with 285's?

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
There are literally a TON of threads on the "will 285's rub" subject. I don't know how many of those are based on a 2wd like yours, but a quick search will answer a lot of questions.:bigthumb:

IMO you should be fine. There are guys running 285/70R17 mud terrain tires with NO lift!

Lastly, don't be a stranger...click on the "User CP" and fill out some basic info (where your from, etc..). My mom always told me not to talk to strangers! :lol:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Should be fine. I have searched a bit and found that I could get my 285s before I get my lift, maybe needing a body mount chop. I even started a thread recently because I knew it would fit but wanted to know if it was safe to do and not break my truck. I plan to get a lift also, but $ may limit me to one thing at a time. Post pics! We love pics.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I got everything installed!

One pic is before the tires, the rest are with the Trail Grapplers and the 5100's and the rear spacer. I'm extremely happy with everything, but I had some rubbing issues. :( I removed the mud flaps but it's still rubbing the body mount. I may chop it sooner or later, but I don't know where to get it done.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looks pretty sharp, I might go w the same tire set up too, I'm running the 5100 up front too and TRD bilstien in the rear. What notch are the your 5100 set too? Might be the angle but doesn't look level, mine is set to the 3rd. Did you add 4x4 springs instead of the 4x2? I swapped mine out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Went to some trails today, the clay was soft and moist but she still pulled through, the tires make a big difference :rocker:
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Looks pretty sharp, I might go w the same tire set up too, I'm running the 5100 up front too and TRD bilstien in the rear. What notch are the your 5100 set too? Might be the angle but doesn't look level, mine is set to the 3rd. Did you add 4x4 springs instead of the 4x2? I swapped mine out
Nope still running 4x2 springs, I would like to level out the front though, the body mount rubbing is bugging the crap out of me... and I'm pretty sure they're set to the top notch, I got a 1 1/2 inch spacer in the rear so it's not level.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nope still running 4x2 springs, I would like to level out the front though, the body mount rubbing is bugging the crap out of me... and I'm pretty sure they're set to the top notch, I got a 1 1/2 inch spacer in the rear so it's not level.
Your rig looks sweet, I set mine to the 3rd notch and I'm about 1/2 inch lower on the rear, the 4x4 springs will add bout a 1/2 inch lift if you add them

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Your rig looks sweet, I set mine to the 3rd notch and I'm about 1/2 inch lower on the rear, the 4x4 springs will add bout a 1/2 inch lift if you add them
Thanks man. Mine's set to the top notch but I just ordered 2" OME 884's for the front... this should solve the problem :bigthumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
And the idiot of the year award goes to... me. :boohoo:

Here's the story. A few weeks ago we had 4 days straight of POURING rain here in Northwest Florida. I called up a few friends, and we were gonna go play around at a popular spot that we call "10 mile". This place has dozens of trails with terrain of all types.

When I got there the flooding was pretty crazy. I went down a trail that was normally dry, but I came to a low part that was totally covered in flood water. I was about to turn around and then some random guys in 2 jeeps showed up behind me. One guy had a stock wrangler, and he said he came there all the time because he lived close by. He said that I would easily be able to pull through it because it was a hard bottom. He knew I was 2wd with a locker, and he said that I would be fine... (against my instinct). He went down the trail before me without any problems, and one of my best friends rode with him. Once they got to the other side of the water they both jumped out and said "you got it man, that's nothing. If anything goes wrong we have stuff to pull ya out."

So my dumba$$ decided to go.:mecry: Everything was fine and the water wasn't even very deep until I got to the middle of it. There was a short, deep ditch under the water. The front end went down into it head-on. When the front end popped back up to try and get up the other side, 2wd just didn't cut it.

I knew I was screwed. I rolled down the window and started yelling for help. The guy with the wrangler went pale. My FJ's front end was propped up so the engine and electronics were out of the water, but the rear end of my truck was angled down into the water. I briefly threw it in reverse and back into drive and it wouldn't budge, in fact it dug me in deeper (the m/t's turned into shovels:flame:). At this point I was completely helpless. The rear end of my baby was bogged down almost to the tail lights.

Water started coming in the front doors, and at this point I realized that my rear was as deep as it was. I turned around and watched in horror as the back seats began to float up (they're buoyant??). I grabbed all of my friend's stuff and threw it on the dash. As for the stuff in my center console, I was screwed. Brown water was filling up inside it and my CD collection was gone. at THIS point I realized that my expensive a$$ subwoofer system in the back was probably fried. Honestly though, that was the least of my worries.
The water was in my seat and coming up my legs, but it wasn't touching the ECU on the passenger side because of the way it was angled backwards.

Let me tell you... Sitting in my FJ, waiting on help to arrive for almost an hour in the cold rain was probably the worst feeling I have ever experienced. The amount of regret I felt was just indescribable. It was one of those moments that feels like a dream. You don't believe what is happening. You're shaking so bad and you're heart is pounding so fast and your head is throbbing so much from frustration that your sense of reality is warped. I felt like the biggest idiot on the face of the planet. I'm almost 18 and I still live with my parents, so I had to worry about dealing with them too.

The jeeps couldn't pull me out so a guy I know with a big truck came to help. He pulled me out backwards, so I was gunning it in reverse during the recovery. As this happened the engine conked out. I had completely given up at this point.

As soon as I was out of the water, me, my friend, and the jeep guys and some random bystanders (who did nothing to help but instead took out there phones to take pictures) ran over to my crippled FJ and opened the doors, letting hundreds of gallons of water out in a waterfall.

We popped the hood and disconnected the airbox and it was DRY. We got it to start briefly but then it conked out again. We waited for hours and hours to let it dry out, but it still wouldn't start. We disconnected the electronics under the hood and dried them off but the engine still wouldn't turn over. We knew it wasn't waterlocked but we were still terrified of what it could be.

I had to come clean to my dad... scariest thing ever. He came and towed me to the house, and we cleaned it up spotless, inside and out. At a glance you'd never be able to tell I swamped it in dirty floodwater. He towed me with his F-250 to the Stealership the next day and dropped it off.

The cost was going to be around $2,500 out of my pocket, and they got it running the next day. But the repairmen found signs of corrosion... so the dealership had no choice but to call insurance.

I won't say exactly how much it ended up costing, but let's just say it was pretty close to being 5 figures...
WTF.

One thing I hate about the stealership is that as soon as they know insurance is covering you, they go insane. They replaced everything from the floorboards to the front seats... but why??? They could have dried some of these parts out, but of course, the stealership decides to replace the whole freakin' part.

Fortunately insurance is covering this past our deductible of 1,000$, which I'm paying. Whether or not our insurance will go up, we don't know yet because technically this was flood related even though it was self-inflicted. If it does go up, my parent's are making me pay the difference, which is completely understandable. Before you flame, (especially because of my age), please know that "daddy's not paying for everything". I'm assuming full responsibility for my actions, this was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done. I'm working full time the rest of my summer to pay off the deductible, any insurance differences, and I'm also paying them quite a bit of extra cash to account for the depreciation that's gonna hit once this shows up on CARFAX.

I learned my lesson. I get my baby back from the shop late next week.

But as the saying goes... sh*t happens.:shrug03:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Pics:
As you can see, I had almost gotten out of the ditch but my rear end was bogged down.

After we cleaned it out... it was muddy and sandy and disgusting.

By connercole94 at 2012-06-23

We took it to the dealer the next morning, the rest of the story is up there^^^

·
Registered
192 Posts
#1 rule in offroading.

If you aren't comfortable with it, even if it is a single diamond trail. Don't do it.

sucks you had to learn the hard way, but I been there...at 16...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
#1 rule in offroading.

If you aren't comfortable with it, even if it is a single diamond trail. Don't do it.

sucks you had to learn the hard way, but I been there...at 16...
Yeah, it does suck... Oh how I wish I had listened to my gut instinct and not that jeep guy :flame: ... So dumb of me.

On the bright side, I got my FJ back! I had to take it back to the dealer though because some emergency lights on the dash were lit up, and they fixed it without a problem. Only problem is my expensive stereo was totally disconnected by the repairmen at the dealership. I'm going to go by the stereo place this Monday when I'm off work, and then I'll find out whether my system is totally fried or not. But honestly, I'm just happy to have my FJ back. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
2wd....just level it and do 285s and call it a day! after the roof rack of course. don't invest much in it
X2....

Save your money and keep it clean so you can trade it in on a 4x4 in a year or two...
Watch the classifieds here and on Craigslist for OEM stuff that others take off and sell for the cheap... it will increase the vehicle value compared to aftermarket goodies.

Really, seriously, you will find you want to "go where no man has gone before" and that 2x4 isnt going to do it...

Hahahaha i posted this before reading your post just above.... I told u so!!!

Take it from an old fart who's modded lots of vehicles in his days and never yet broke even... just been broke LOL..

41 - 58 of 58 Posts