Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I am actually turning 16 very soon and wanted to get to practicing the car I’m going to drive, and my parents agreed, beginning to dig into possible solutions for my first car. I had told them I was looking for a nice wrangler, good sporty car that I might be able to ding up and sell in a few years. However, my dad did some research and came across an Fj. I instantly fell in love. We looked at countless other cars and my parents were considering other things, but as soon as I had seen that crazy unique car, I couldn’t dream of getting anything else. So, after a while, I pitched in some money and expected a nice high mileage 2007 or so, but was blown away to see my dad had contacted one of his dealer friends and hunted down a 2014 Ultimate Trail Teams Edition, with only 48,000 miles! It came with a pre installed bass kicker and a snorkel, and I think I can say I am proud to be one of the 2,500!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I’m a noob to both driving AND FJs, I’ll be needing a lot of awnsers from this forum, glad to be part of this great community.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
A) Welcome to the Forums and Congratulations on the FJ!
B) Kudos to you for chipping in what you could
C) Give your parents a nice crisp high five for doing this.
D) Learn from the mistakes us old folks make on mods/driving etc on the forum
E) If you want to know something.....ask(except the tire size question)

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A) Welcome to the Forums and Congratulations on the FJ!
B) Kudos to you for chipping in what you could
C) Give your parents a nice crisp high five for doing this.
D) Learn from the mistakes us old folks make on mods/driving etc on the forum
E) If you want to know something.....ask(except the tire size question)
Thanks for the advice, I of course barely made a dent in the cost, but wanted to help what I could. I don’t want to do too much modding with it since it’s already pretty jacked with TRD. But if I take good care of this car I can get at least another 100k miles on it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
holy crap. taker out and wheeler till the wheels fall off don't ever let someone tell you your destroying something beautiful. Your fulfilling its purpose and capability. And based on the fact that is has a snorkel its likly been wheeled before
Haha yep, the previous owner definitely took good care of it but I can tell he took it to the trails. If I can find a nice off-road place near me I’ll take it out as much as I can. I love this car and I’m taking it to the grave. :)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
welcome. My only advice is that the FJ has huge blind spots and that is going to be challenging for a new driver.

When I switch lanes, I check my center rear view mirror, then my side view mirror and then I turn my head to double check before actually switching lanes. You would be surprised how many times after looking in all my mirrors, I find someone next to me when I turn my head to look before switching lanes.

I also try to keep an eye on my center rear view mirror and make mental note of people who are coming up on me on either side so I have an idea of whether someone is likely already there before I attempt to switch lanes.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Congrats on your first car and welcome! Take care of it and you could be handing it off to your kids some day! These vehicles are that good. Make sure you enjoy it and get out to some trails so that you can truly experience what these trucks were designed to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congrats on your first car...listen and heed Silvfx....3 " convex mirrors help but know your surroundings.. constantly..like that little Honda civic that was coming up on your butt, but has now disappeared..This is a great auto...ENJOY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
welcome. My only advice is that the FJ has huge blind spots and that is going to be challenging for a new driver.

When I switch lanes, I check my center rear view mirror, then my side view mirror and then I turn my head to double check before actually switching lanes. You would be surprised how many times after looking in all my mirrors, I find someone next to me when I turn my head to look before switching lanes.

I also try to keep an eye on my center rear view mirror and make mental note of people who are coming up on me on either side so I have an idea of whether someone is likely already there before I attempt to switch lanes.

Yep, before we went for the car we had heard about the blindspots and it kinda sucks especially since I am just learning to drive. But it’s a small price to pay for such a cool car, and I’ll just have to get used to using the mirrors a lot like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Welcome from the Carolinas! What an awesome first car. I agree with SilvFx, you should do this with any vehicle, but especially in the FJ be super aware of you surroundings. Other than that, use it and enjoy it, and use this forum to learn how to repair it and maintain it and it will last you a very long time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep, before we went for the car we had heard about the blindspots and it kinda sucks especially since I am just learning to drive. But it’s a small price to pay for such a cool car, and I’ll just have to get used to using the mirrors a lot like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first mod I did to my FJ was to pick up some blind spot mirrors from Walmart for about $5; they let me cover what the tiny windows and big side mirrors don't. I would recommend them on any FJ, or any vehicle for that matter!

And welcome to the forum! I don't know if you can get much better of a first car than an FJ! I'm definitely envious since it seems like most people get stuck with their grandma's junker or something similar as a first car! :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts