Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first FJ Cruiser, a 2011 Iceberg white model in very good condition and just getting acquainted with this great vehicle. If anyone can help me with some questions I would really appreciate it.

I noticed that my panel switches are either not lit or if they are illuminated they are very dim, my door lock and power window switches seem not to have any lights at all, regarding the switches on the door if they are not meant to be lit I guess that maybe after I have the car for a while I'll get used to it, but the panel switches really need to be lit as I can't see any of them.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Another question from a newbie, the undercarriage is rusted but seems to be in good condition and all nuts and bolts in the engine compartment and in the rear cargo area are rusted as well. Should I change them or is there another suggestion ?

Sorry for all the questions but I love this truck and want to keep it in good shape and not do the wrong thing.

Thank you all !!!

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :smile

Go for the simple things first, you may have already checked. Dimmer control circled. I don't look at the switches on the door anymore, I'd have to take a look when my grandson brings her back.

dimmer control.jpg

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Welcome to the FJ world!

As far as the rust goes - it's light rust I'd hit it with a wire wheel and get some rustolium rust neutralizer and have a ball. In fact, that's what I did on mine. I also have done that on my 84 Chevy. Once a year I roll around and hit any new spots.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Greg welcome to the FJ Cruiser community

·
Premium Member
16,746 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi Greg, welcome from central Ohio!

Only the word "Auto" illuminates on my window switches. Five of the console buttons light up on mine. The right most top and bottom (Sub-woofer and Inverter) don't but I think these used to light up.
My recollection is that the illumination power is daisy-chained from one switch to another and I think one or both got disconnected the last time I worked on it. I've been waiting until I take the console panel off again to sort it out.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome to the FJ world!

As far as the rust goes - it's light rust I'd hit it with a wire wheel and get some rustolium rust neutralizer and have a ball. In fact, that's what I did on mine. I also have done that on my 84 Chevy. Once a year I roll around and hit any new spots.
Second this, Rustoleum 'rust reformer' followed by Rustoleum paint as needed. I keep it and a wire wheel/brush handy anytime I am under the vehicle for anything.

Welcome from Tennessee!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts