Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my '14 for about 2 weeks of actual use now. Already put about 3500km on it, with some minor back road use, and some off road use on a farm coyote hunting.

My thoughts/experiences are, in order of priority:
#1 : I love it.
#2 : God damn I hate how tiny the range is
#3 : I need more power points for electronics
#4 : I need better/more/secure storage and a bike rack
#5 : I want additional lighting for off road/back road and setting up camp
#6 : Maybe I should wait until I have a winch and good bumper before I get into any real trouble
#7 : Oh neat, there is a CB/HAM radio section on these forums.

So here are my plans and options for these items

#1 : Continue to love it

#2 : I think 2x 20L jerry cans will do me for 99% of my trips in the next year or so. ~800km range should be fine unless I get into serious overlanding/arctic circle trips

#3 : This one I'm still figuring out. I want to put in an inverter. It has the spot for it in the back, but I'd like one up front too. Something that doesn't involve drilling. I also want to add at least 2 more USB ports for charging phones and GoPros.

#4 : Initially I think I will go with a box on the roof rack for things like booster cables tire chains and emergency kit stuff. I also want to get some bags for the inside of the rear door. Long term I'd like to add something that gives 4-6" of storage in the back tied down to the mounting points. Family has offered to buy a hitch and bike rack which solves that issue. Biking is a main pastime for me in the mountains, awesome family continues to be so.

#5 : I'm thinking about building my own LED light bars just for a project. I'd like something 30-50" on the front roof rack, then a couple small floods in the back that can be pointed where they are needed. I am also thinking that I would like the rear lights to have the option for orange strobe in case of emergencies/use at construction sites.

#6 : This is real long term stuff. Like 1-2 years down the road. I think eventually I'd like a solid bumper. Maybe just something to protect the lights and provide a winch mounting point. For now I think I'll just try to avoid doing something too stupid. But even just out on the farm I can see how easy it would be to get stuck without a winch.

#7 : I've always wanted a CB radio, even in my car. Lots of driving in areas without cell coverage it would have been very handy to talk to the truckers in the area. I don't have a HAM license yet, maybe in the next year I'll try for it, but I do have my aircraft radio permit. So getting one that can do all that would be awesome.

Anyway. Lots of stuff here. What does everyone think?:grin

·
Admin
7,537 Posts
For expedition fuel storage I got one of those cheap flo-n-go's at the Canadian Tire... the siphon that came with it sucked and not in the good way... ended up replacing it with a simple shaker siphon... works awesome. I wouldn't mind a better tank solution but this works for now.
I bolt and strap it down to my ARB rack empty and then fill it at the gas station while it's up there. I never haul it up or down off the rack full.... friggin heavy with 52 litres in it!
I just siphon it directly into my gas tank when I need it.... typically on my return trip as I can then use my FJ's gas tank fully without fear.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
All good plans IMO. Id not do the roof box. If range is an issue you will only hurt it. Look into rear trunk storage options. Also keep that in mind placing aux lighting can hinder mpgs. Look into the various spare tire mounted gas options. Chitown 4x4 has a NICE one although $$$.

CBs are great! Just decide if you want a 'real' big one and where to mount or one of the popular Cobra / Midlands portable ones.

Cool option for adding USB power up front: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...41-dual-usb-socket-replaces-switch-blank.html

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
You may want to look into building your own plywood storage drawer system to install in the rear section to store the extras rather than use a box mounted on the rack. The items will be easier to get to and the weight (for stability) is better stored lower than higher. There is a good thread(s) on building/mounting a drawer system that is found by searching. There are also threads on extra fuel carry and storage and Winterpeg's method above is a good one for definite extra fuel use. I use a couple of Rotopax mounted on my rack for occasional use and don't leave them up there all the time. Going to an aftermarket bumper does make it easier to install a winch and lights, but it is a cost that has to be figured in with the rest of life's needs. Rear lights could be mounted on the roof rack and are definitely good for outdoors after dark setup and camping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea of having the jerry cans to the side of the spare tire. If I can do that and still have the bike rack in place, that would probably be the best option.

As for the roof box, I just need a small one, not the large monsters that carry tons of stuff. I'd rather not keep stuff that hardly ever gets used in the back all the time.

All good plans IMO. Id not do the roof box. If range is an issue you will only hurt it. Look into rear trunk storage options. Also keep that in mind placing aux lighting can hinder mpgs. Look into the various spare tire mounted gas options. Chitown 4x4 has a NICE one although $$$.

CBs are great! Just decide if you want a 'real' big one and where to mount or one of the popular Cobra / Midlands portable ones.

Cool option for adding USB power up front: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...41-dual-usb-socket-replaces-switch-blank.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts