Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order a 3" BDS lift with bilstein 5100 in the front. Has anyone installed this lift? Open to any suggestions to a different set up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Haven't purchased a lift myself yet, but have done extensive research, and have several friends who have. You can get the Toytec Ultimate lift with the same Bilstein 5100's, or if you go to the Toytec website they also sell a set up with rebuildable 2 or 2" inch Radflos. If you're going budget style, Old Man Emu is really good too. I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other, and I don't know much about the BDS lift. Just trying to make sure you have all the info you need. Ultimately it comes down to what you plan on using your FJ for, and if you want to go with a rebuildable setup and how much you want to spend. Toytec setups will typically run $1100-$1400 depending on if you want UCA's, which springs you go with, and which shocks, and you can pickup OME for around $700-$850 (though I don't think they are adjustable like the higher $$$ ones). Food for thought. Hope it helps! Regardless of what you go with, these look great lifted with 33-35" tires. You'd have to do go with more than a 3" if you wanted to do 35's though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't want to go to big, it is my daily driver (around 80 miles a day for work). I looked at the OME 2", but for about the same price I can get the 3" BDS (looking at about 750).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fuel economy will tank with the 35's too. 80 miles a day at 14MPG could get old fast.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't want to go to big, it is my daily driver (around 80 miles a day for work). I looked at the OME 2", but for about the same price I can get the 3" BDS (looking at about 750).
Cool. Just food for thought! Nice thing about the OME is that you can go with Medium or even heavy springs if you plan on doing future mods (bumpers, winch, carrying lots of gear, etc.). BTW I just checked online to see what came with the BDS, and it looks like you only get rear springs. The front looks like its just a spacer lift. If you wanted to go with the full 3" OME setup, its $750 for the 2" + $59 for the additional 1" of lift, but with that you get 4 shocks and 4 coils opposed to the 2 coils and 2 shocks you get with the BDS kit. So you're basically paying the same price for half the suspension parts. Check for yourself: OME full suspension -- Click here for details - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

PLUS if you do the research on the forum, you'll see many more folks running the OME and Toytec setups than BDS. Most of the guys running 6" and +6" lifts are doing Rough Country, Pro Comp, or Fabtech, but I believe all of those require cutting the frame and suspension parts, and all are bookoo $$$.

Again, just trying to help. Just make sure you do your research. They Toytec 3" ultimate kit is $1200ish, but you get EVERYTHING with it, including the gear to do a diff drop to take some of the strain off your front CV joints. But, if you're looking to go cheaper, and don't mind losing the ability to adjust the height, OME is the best IMHO. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh, almost forgot.....if you're looking for the easiest setup to install, the Toytec Ultimate comes with shocks in the front coils. You'll need a shock compressor for the BDS, and I think you need a spring compressor for the OME.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 750 I was looking at included the new front shocks. From what I read the bilstein would work good with the stock spring and the top spacer. I will give the OME lift another look. What you said does make sense, thanks for all the info.

No matter what I do end up with I will post more updates.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I ordered the BDS lift yesterday! I should have it in about a week. Now for the next part, the front struts. I was looking at the bilstein 5100's.

just like before any feed back would be great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just ordered the bilstein 5100's for the front to go with the BDS lift. Cant wait for the parts to show up, and get started!

·
Registered
95 Posts
well good luck im looking forward for a build thread i went with Fox they were worth it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it took a while to get the help to lift it. But it is finally done!! So far the ride is great. Less body role, less nose dive when braking. Cant wait to get it off road again for a real test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts