Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I'm new to this site but I've had an 2008 FJ for a year and a half now and I was thinking about what mods to put on it. I just graduated from college and don't have a ton of money but want to do some mods this summer before I go to work.

I was looking at installing a 3530 front winch bumper from warrior along with a winch, but then I read on this forum that the amount of weight added will cause the front end to sag. So then I looked at doing a lift before the install of winch and bumper and waiting for the latter when I have the money. I was looking at the OME lift kit and was thinking medium coils in the front and back in the assumption that I will add the winch and bumper once I have the money.

Do you think I could install the lift myself having no experience ever working on a car? I have found some instructions with pictures on this forum but I don't know how much I can trust myself to do it correctly haha. Especially with a long road trip I have to do at the end of the summer and I don't want my car falling apart.

Also, should I go with the heavies in the front instead of mediums because of the weight of the bumper and winch or are the mediums ok?

Thanks in advance guys! :grin

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hard to help without some information from you. Location? What type of wheeling do you do? What is your expectation?

I would not spend money on a winch and bumper first thing, I would get tires then armor or suspension depending on what terrain you wheel. Heres a link to the first 2000, good read for guidance and a pocket full of cash.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60034-first-2000-a.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that moodywizard.

I'm currently in Houston but will be moving to Seattle at the end of the summer. I do some offroading now but nothing too extreme. I'm hoping to get more in to it in Seattle. I want something that is a good daily driver but can handle the occasional offroading excursion. I don't want to tear it up doing things like rock crawling but I want it to be capable. It doesn't need to be a complete beast but I want the mods to last.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Never been that far up north so dont know much other than what I assume is green forest and mountains/hills. Get some tires and go wheeling, you'll find out from experience what you need. A heavy bumper with winch will sag your stock front suspension. You can do alot of things to help that, spacers being the cheapest, springs, springs + shocks, coilovers being the most expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah lots of forests and mountains. I kind of wanted to do some of the mods before I left for there since I'll have time. Was looking into the OME kit but not sure if I trust myself to install them plus I don't know which coils to buy, heavy or medium.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I used to live in Seattle and lots of wheelin' opportunities after you move. If it were me, I'd save more money before modding, then install a few items that will need to compliment one another. You probably don't know where you will live when you move to Seattle, so I'd be very careful about any lift and tires; because garage clearance will definitely be an issue and wouldn't want to leave my car parked outside all the time in the weather!

Yes, a bumper and winch will cause stock front end to sag: but you could shave about 70 lbs off weight if you go for synthetic line for winch and way safer, should line break. Recently did my fist mods to my 11TT. ARB bumper, Warn winch with synthetic line and Toytec Boss coilovers on the front. On bottom setting that gives no lift: but clears garage: but can give you 3" lift, when adjusted, if you like. Also, these are adjusted from bottom, rather than top, making adjustment easier. Stock suspension on rear for now: but will add Toytec Boss later. No front end sag, easily aligned to spec and drives like a dream. Next is a Gobi or maybe even All Pro "Unicorn" model roof rack, if ever released, plus Rigid or Baja Design lights.

Saving money to do roof rack, lights, overhead console and radio at same time to cut down on duplicating labor.

Just some food for thought! Good luck with move and job! Hope dreary, overcast skies, constant rain or drizzle won't depress you? On the plus side, it stops raining in summer months and absolutely beautiful with lots of outdoor possibilities. Unfortunately, summer is also season for raging forrest fires due to lack of rain!

California techie transplants are doing their best to erode what have been some of best gun laws; but you can legally buy pot, if you like?
Just don't shoot and smoke at same time! LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha thanks for all the input sigtrovert, I appreciate it. I'll make sure to look in to all that!

And I am hoping that the weather there will be bearable. I'll just have to make sure to get out a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
I ran an OME lift prior to my current set up and was very happy withstand think it will meet your needs. Happy hunting in the mods and once it starts iris very hard to stop... Ask my bank account for confirmation!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran an OME lift prior to my current set up and was very happy withstand think it will meet your needs. Happy hunting in the mods and once it starts iris very hard to stop... Ask my bank account for confirmation!
That's good to know! What setup do you currently have?

Yeah, I'm expecting that haha. The work will never be done.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I would suggest going the route I did. Lift and good tires, rock sliders, and then wants.

I had OME, and now have the Toytec Bilstien three inch lift. I like the Toytec more. It is a much smoother ride, but has more brake dive and body roll. If you like the stock ride, I vote you get the Toytec.
For tires I recommend the Cooper AT3s. They are very good offroad, and incredible on. They are also a great price. I chose them over more expensive tires, and would do so again.
Basically any of the aftermarket rock sliders are good. The ones that provide a step are nice. I rate rock sliders above bumpers because I rather hit a plastic bumper than a body panel!

After that I would do whatever you want. I decided to add a ton of lights, black out all the silver, and get a new muffler.

These are just my ideas, so take them or leave them.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would suggest going the route I did. Lift and good tires, rock sliders, and then wants.

I had OME, and now have the Toytec Bilstien three inch lift. I like the Toytec more. It is a much smoother ride, but has more brake dive and body roll. If you like the stock ride, I vote you get the Toytec.
For tires I recommend the Cooper AT3s. They are very good offroad, and incredible on. They are also a great price. I chose them over more expensive tires, and would do so again.
Basically any of the aftermarket rock sliders are good. The ones that provide a step are nice. I rate rock sliders above bumpers because I rather hit a plastic bumper than a body panel!

After that I would do whatever you want. I decided to add a ton of lights, black out all the silver, and get a new muffler.

These are just my ideas, so take them or leave them.

Cheers,
Matt

Wow! Thanks for all the info Matt! I will definitely look into all that.

I've blacked out most things already and I am very happy with the way it turned out. Maybe I will wait until I have enough money for all these things first haha.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
ToyTec ultimate adjustable or boss is a great set up. If you are wondering if you can tackle the task of installing a lift kit, you might look around an see if you have enough of the right tools to do the job. Maybe someone in your area will be willing to help you do the install. Check out the club section in your area and meet some new people and learn more. Congrats on your mod feaver it never stops. LMAO

CT

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can't go wrong with tires. OP, you said that you do light off-roading and even stock, the FJ is a capable off-road car so unless you are really wheeling, you don't need to do anything IMO, unless you really want to except maybe tires. Lifting would look cool and help if you're wheeling hard but not necessary. Same with skids, and from the personal advice from my Toyota mechanic, it makes it harder to service. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Napkn

Do you see a common occurrence here?

"I started out with brand x lift and then went with brand y lift and now it does this and that".

So, the bottom line is, save your money, do it once and do it right.
A good quality suspension lift will serve you well.

Another popular quote is "I'm only doing light wheeling!" Let's see in a year how that works out.
If you get the bug in the Northwest you will be trying to figure out how you are going to fit 35" tires under there.

Good luck and wise choices will save you money....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Napkn

Do you see a common occurrence here?

"I started out with brand x lift and then went with brand y lift and now it does this and that".

So, the bottom line is, save your money, do it once and do it right.
A good quality suspension lift will serve you well.

Another popular quote is "I'm only doing light wheeling!" Let's see in a year how that works out.
If you get the bug in the Northwest you will be trying to figure out how you are going to fit 35" tires under there.

Good luck and wise choices will save you money....
Yep I did notice that! Haha. I do want to get something that will last and that I won't have to change down the road.

I'm thinking I will definitely catch the bug up in Seattle.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I ran my Fj for a little while stock to see how it handled on and off road. It took a heck of a beating and did pretty well for sitting fairly low to the ground and having highway tires on it (Michelins).

My want list in order to be purchased was:
1- arb bumper and winch (I've always wanted an ARB for some reason, lol)
2- 3" suspension OME lift
3- better tires
4- rock rails

After reading a TON here and other forums, as well as using what I experienced off roading in the stock FJ I modified my list a bit:
1 - Better tires (Wranger duratracs)
2- 3" Toytec ultimate lift
3 - rock rails
4 - arb bumper and winch w/synthetic line

I went with the Toytec lift over the OME because I liked the adjustability of the coil overs. I figured in case I decided I didn't want to go with the ARB or any aftermarket bumper the Toytec would not give an overly harsh ride like the OME 'medium' front end might. It also gives me the option to adjust my front end should I get Fj sag on the drivers side. It didn't hurt either that the Toytec coil over full kit was only about $100 more than ordering an OME kit with assembled front struts (a little plug for TRD Sparks! John there kicks ass!)

I also decided I want to go synthetic for my winch line after talking to a number of guys in my area that are running it. Lots of glowing reviews (and I figure the weight savings can't hurt either.

My next mod will be rock rails of some sort. My wife has decided I have to get those next because she is vertically challenged and the door sill has magically rose several inches recently, lol!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I ran my Fj for a little while stock to see how it handled on and off road. It took a heck of a beating and did pretty well for sitting fairly low to the ground and having highway tires on it (Michelins).

My want list in order to be purchased was:

1- arb bumper and winch (I've always wanted an ARB for some reason, lol)

2- 3" suspension OME lift

3- better tires

4- rock rails

After reading a TON here and other forums, as well as using what I experienced off roading in the stock FJ I modified my list a bit:

1 - Better tires (Wranger duratracs)

2- 3" Toytec ultimate lift

3 - rock rails

4 - arb bumper and winch w/synthetic line

I went with the Toytec lift over the OME because I liked the adjustability of the coil overs. I figured in case I decided I didn't want to go with the ARB or any aftermarket bumper the Toytec would not give an overly harsh ride like the OME 'medium' front end might. It also gives me the option to adjust my front end should I get Fj sag on the drivers side. It didn't hurt either that the Toytec coil over full kit was only about $100 more than ordering an OME kit with assembled front struts (a little plug for TRD Sparks! John there kicks ass!)

I also decided I want to go synthetic for my winch line after talking to a number of guys in my area that are running it. Lots of glowing reviews (and I figure the weight savings can't hurt either.

My next mod will be rock rails of some sort. My wife has decided I have to get those next because she is vertically challenged and the door sill has magically rose several inches recently, lol!

Toytec makes some nice sliders! Good step, but not too big.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts