Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this recommended?

Also questioning whether to use Mobil 1, I would much rather pay more and have fewer oil changes, is there any reason NOT to use synthetic?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Is this recommended?
I would, especially if you intend to keep this truck for a long time and get really high mileage out of it.

Also questioning whether to use Mobil 1, I would much rather pay more and have fewer oil changes, is there any reason NOT to use synthetic?
Oil is like politics and religion; everyone has their own highly-regarded opinion. Having said that, IMO there is no reason not to use synthetic; I use it in every crankcase I own. Mobil1 is pretty good; there are some better but Mobil1 is available everywhere, is economical (for synthetic) and is far superior to any conventional oil.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would, especially if you intend to keep this truck for a long time and get really high mileage out of it.
I have 1040 miles on my FJ today. Maybe I'll wait another 500miles or so but I'd like to change the oil soon and put synthetic.

The question is, I'd like to explore the possibility to do this on my own. I am new to the country, any special laws and waste disposal places where to bring the used oil? What should I do in your opinion?

Should I also change the oil filter with this first 'service'?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
THat's what I did with mine and I went "syn" from there on.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

Oil is like politics and religion; everyone has their own highly-regarded opinion. Having said that, IMO there is no reason not to use synthetic; I use it in every crankcase I own. Mobil1 is pretty good; there are some better but Mobil1 is available everywhere, is economical (for synthetic) and is far superior to any conventional oil.
x2 ..................

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Is this recommended?

You can change your oil whenever you want to, sooner ...... later, it doesn't much matter and yes, you can switch to synthetics anytime you want, if you want.

It's really your choice.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I have 1040 miles on my FJ today. Maybe I'll wait another 500miles or so but I'd like to change the oil soon and put synthetic.

The question is, I'd like to explore the possibility to do this on my own. I am new to the country, any special laws and waste disposal places where to bring the used oil? What should I do in your opinion?

Thank you

Changing the oil is very easy. There are many previous threads on it. Just make sure you are changing the engine oil (above the plastic, oval cover) and not draining the transmission fluid (if you have and AT).

There is a gasket on the drain plug, it often stays on the oil pan when the plug is removed so beware.

The oil from the filter should be drained out and all the old oil should be returned to a store that takes back the oil and recycles it. Some will even take the empty filters.

As previously stated, you can change the oil whenever you want. There's no data on these engines so show that changing the oil early or later, helps or hurts the longevity of these fine engines.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
447 Posts
Is this recommended?

It is highly recommended for anyone who wants better long life performance from the engine. As good as manufacturers are at making (and cleaning) engines there is still a good deal of metal left behind when the engine is put together. As well, the few couple of thousand revs will shave some more off. So, sports car, truck, ORV, change the oil between 1000 and 1500 miles.

The first change should still be a standard oil, and then another change at 5000 miles or so.

One thing about synthetics, do NOT try and go above 5000 miles with them unless you have a oil filter that is meant for synthetics and get your oil tested to see if it does need to be changed earlier.

- Solo

·
Registered
104 Posts
The engine will break in better with regular oil. Run a standard oil for 5000 miles It will let the rings and other parts set better then use syn oil after that.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I am new to the country, any special laws and waste disposal places where to bring the used oil?
Most auto parts places that sell oil take your old oil also, just bring it back in a container and they will pour it into their recycling tank.

Yes, you should always change and put on a new filter when you change the oil.

The engine will break in better with regular oil. Run a standard oil for 5000 miles It will let the rings and other parts set better then use syn oil after that.
Old wive's tale, not necessary.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I did the 2000 mile break-in on the original oil in the truck, then around 2500 miles I changed over to Mobil 1. I'm changing it roughly every 5000 miles/4 months from then on. I recently hit 7500 on the odo, so its time for another change.

I like Mobil 1 synthetic myself, I have run it in everything I own as well. My dad has a 2002 Porsche Carrera 4S, and Porsche's oil of choice is Mobil 1 synthetic. That's enough justification in my book to stick with the stuff!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old wive's tale, not necessary.
Do you use synthetic, and if so when you did you start?

I did the 2000 mile break-in on the original oil in the truck, then around 2500 miles I changed over to Mobil 1.
You did your first change at 2000, put in natural oil, and at 2500 miles you changed to Mobil 1?

Or you did your first change at 2000, put in natural oil, and then 2500 miles later (so at 4500 miles) you changed to Mobil 1?

·
Registered
104 Posts
old wives tale I got to ask you how did you come by that? Someone in the oil biz tell you or do you just have a degree in this science.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am not saying that one is better than the other, but this (oil change) and long distance (+1000 miles) break in trips are how I have treated 14 vehicles so far. I got the advice from a former stock car driver and so far all of these vehicles were trouble free (around engine (oil related)) for as long as I owned them. A couple of them even dynoed higher by 15% that the exact same model that was not so treated.

Don't know that it is all that scientific but it has been one for one so far.

- Solo

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
old wives tale I got to ask you how did you come by that? Someone in the oil biz tell you or do you just have a degree in this science.
1. used to make a living as a mechanic; have rebuilt and torn down a ton of engines with and without synthetic, including ones run on synth from day one.

2. As a matter of fact, I'm in the oil business now.

3. Yes, I have a science degree also.

If you don't believe me, then talk to BMW, Porsche, and GM (among others) because they all provide cars with synthetic oil in the crankcase straight from the factory.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will probably use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, whichever viscosity Toyota recommends.

Not sure if I should buy it first and bring it to the dealer though....

·
Registered
780 Posts
I changed mine yesterday (425 miles) i put Mobile 1 Regular and Moblie1 Filter, I also changed both diffs to Royal Purple. If your going to change it every 5-7000 thousand miles IMO its a waste gettig the extended life $4.99 VS $6.80 per quart.

Col

1 - 20 of 22 Posts