Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm impressed by your community interactions and figured I could throw this out there for some members who may have converted from Ford SCrews... I've got an 04 4x4 SCrew, currently with a family of 2.5 plus shedding dog. I've really lucked out with the opportunity to borrow a 2009 FJ 4x4 to test drive from a friend and am looking to purchase. Could I ask how transitions have gone from one vehicle to another with the families...? Thanks! Here's a pic of them....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You may miss the load carrying capacity of a pickup but that's the ONLY thing I miss. Good luck:cheers:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I had a 4-dr Dodge pickup (diesel, lifted 4") and even with the suicide doors, the FJ is easier because I don't have to lift my daughter 3' up into it. Occasionally, I miss having a bed to throw things in but I can get by using the roof rack for a lot of things that are too big to fit in the back of the FJ.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I had a '03 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab with a 3" body lift before the FJ. I will admit there are moments when I miss the truck, I did like it. But the operative word here is LIKE, I LOVE my fj. The only thing of any serious note for me, is yes there are times I miss not having a bed. For that reason I will inevitably end up getting a trailer... one day, not today.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I was in your position about 2 yrs ago. Went from a 2005 SCrew w/ every option available to a 2007 FJ, also have 2 small children and a dog. It really depends on how you use your truck and why you're trading, if you have boats or bikes or pull anything then you're going to miss the truck. If not, then you will be fine. The first month had me wondering if I had made a mistake. It's smaller and not having 4 full doors takes some getting used to. Putting children in the car seats can be challenging, I always hit my head on the top door post. Having said all of that, I would do it again. The FJ is a better fit for my needs right now...4x4, no carpet!, no bells and whistles...just a real practical vehicle. Liked my truck, love my FJ. I'll get another truck when my kids get older, but no way I'm ever getting rid of the FJ. Have plans of keeping it around and turning it into a WRV (weekend recreation vehicle) for me and my wife. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Came from a 2007 Ford Screw. I loved that truck but I am a single guy with no kids, just me and my girlfriend, life isn't too demanding people moving wise so the FJ is perfect for me. It tows my 2K lb sled boat for duck hunting as if it isn't even back there (something I could not say about the F-150, even with my light boat behind it I could tell the shifts seemed more difficult and it felt really laggy) having no carpet and water resistant seats is amazing. My mom got a 5th generation 4Runner this past summer and I would take the FJ over it any day. Once you get used to the unique driving position and "special" (aka limited) viewing angles out the windshield, you never want to go back.

Plus, while the FJ may not be great on gas, it still feels like driving a Prius compared to what I was getting with my 3" lifted screw on 33X12.50s. :)

Also, looks like if you buy that black FJ in your picture you'll be saving some $$$ being able to avoid the mod bug. Never a bad idea. Although, you will likely get encouraged to take it even further to make it your own ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Traded my 2004 SCrew for 2008 FJ. Would do it again in a heart beat! I only miss the bed of the truck ocassionally and I can rent or borrow one when needed. The FJ is just more FUN! My wife and kids were actually the ones that convinced me to switch.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
The one thing that I do not miss about my old pick up is everyone asking me to help them move.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The one thing that I do not miss about my old pick up is everyone asking me to help them move.
lol thats an excellent point, haha

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got from a 600 road trip in the loaner FJ (Gotta love a good neighbour)and now dealing with insurance hastles on the SCrew. Thank you all for your input! I look forward to the community and one day meeting up on the trails. Soon to be FJ owning family.... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You know what I think already...

Where did you go on the 600-mile trip? (Cool your neighbor let you do it).

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I had an 02 SuperCrew, I don't miss it. It was just two of us and a shedding dog.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Traded in my 05dodge 1500 quad cab. And the only thing I miss is.........nothing! No more moving friends and I actually have interior cargo room instead of a little of room under the rear seat. Plus even though my fj has less hp than a dodge I'm still faster than them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts