Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering If I'm the only one whose looking for somewhere to play on the 20th. I'm thinking this will be a busy day of meet and greet with a few little groups hitting a few trails.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Re: First summit what happening on the 20th

People go on trails right after registering. Most years I've taken two or three groups of trail leaders up on that day. I'm sure when you get there, you'll get registered, might want to hit a grocery store before it closes, then by all means hit a trail. If so, might I recommend something that we don't offer as an organized run, such as yankee boy basin or governor basin. The nice thing about yankee boy is that it is heavily travelled by other groups, so if you absolutely can't find someone to go with you, you can still go up there and have some support if you break down.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts

Some of us will likely be heading up to Yankee Boy Basin on Tue or Wed. It's beautiful with wildflowers everywhere, and the Twin Falls, some alpine lakes, and all kinds of other crazy beauty.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts

I might be up for Yankee Boy then. Do some pics. Stil learning the new camera.

I will likely still be on disability during the Summit. Nothing like getting paid to play!:clap:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts

A lot of us will get there during the weekend prior, and run trails every single day all day long. PM me I will find a place for you to play, no problem. The trails menitoned are fantastic in their beauty, as every single one is.

This being your first Summit, you most likely have never seen anything like what you are headed into, one of the most beautiful places on earth, some fo the best people you will ever meet, one of the nicest towns I have ever been (locals) and one of the best organized event with the best staff you could ever wish for, their every effort centers around you the participant and the vehicle you drive. You will meet people that are truly into their FJ and all the things they do with it or to it. You will quickly learn there are no age barriers, racial barriers or regional barriers there. Just a great few days seeing great old friends and meeting new friends. Truly a reunion type event.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
The tent is normally set up over the weekend prior I think. I know it was up on the Sunday before last year. I am bringing a white board for scheduled runs and Woodsman is organizing them, right Woodsman!!!!!!!!

Send me a pm if you need my cell number.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
The tent is normally set up over the weekend prior I think. I know it was up on the Sunday before last year. I am bringing a white board for scheduled runs and Woodsman is organizing them, right Woodsman!!!!!!!!

Send me a pm if you need my cell number.
I'm pretty sure it went up on Wednesday (or maybe Tuesday night) on most years. I forget about last year, but I know it was up by 5:00 on Tuesday morning when we met up with Jared (4RnrJ) to go attempt summiting Uncomphagre Peak (he made it this time, but my bad feet kept me from the top again).

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I'm pretty sure it went up on Wednesday (or maybe Tuesday night) on most years. I forget about last year, but I know it was up by 5:00 on Tuesday morning when we met up with Jared (4RnrJ) to go attempt summiting Uncomphagre Peak (he made it this time, but my bad feet kept me from the top again).
You did well, that hike was no joke. I ran FAST down that trail so I didn't get hit by lightening.

It was worth it though:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
You did well, that hike was no joke. I ran FAST down that trail so I didn't get hit by lightening.

It was worth it though:
Nice shot :bigthumb:

So, are you going to try something like that this year?

·
Registered
936 Posts

It was worth it though:
Thats an awesome pic, I was just up that way camping fathers day weekend and it doesn't look much like that at all. I hiked up the east fork of the Cimmaron about a mile before the snow banks became to big and often, also a lot of downed trees across the trail. The road up to Owl creek pass was a solid snow bank before the turn off for the west fork of the Cimmaron. The road up to the middle fork trail head was blocked by a downed tree and numerous snow banks. I don't remember seeing this much snow this late in June before.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Nice shot :bigthumb:

So, are you going to try something like that this year?
Probably not, I'm not going to come in until Friday and I'm not even bringing my truck this year. Just going to help out with the festivities on Friday night and Saturday. I would like to come for more, but that's been sucking down my summer vacation the last 4 years, so I wanted to have some time with the family this year.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Probably arriving Monday evening. I'm sure to be hooking up with skersfan, on Tuesday, so a run is not out of the question. He is correct. For those of you that are making your first summit, he described it perfectly.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Probably not, I'm not going to come in until Friday and I'm not even bringing my truck this year. Just going to help out with the festivities on Friday night and Saturday. I would like to come for more, but that's been sucking down my summer vacation the last 4 years, so I wanted to have some time with the family this year.
OK, cool.
Understandable.

I'd be thinking the same thing except for two points... 1) my family is always with me at the Summit, and 2) our summer vacation has been in Ouray for many years prior to ever getting the FJC anyway. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Is there another place to go? vacation/ouray, are not they the same word?

I fell in love with place about 20 years ago racing a mountain bike race there. Will go every year until I can't!!!

Mountain paradise!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I sighed up for trails at the summit and have a stock fj that I don't want to destroy. It is my only transportation. Not knowing the difficulties of the trail could someone give me some insight on if I am over my head? I have minimal equipment and no winch and I would change my trail selection to easier trails if need be. The ones i picked are Poughkeepsie trail and Black bear geocacting? Are these out of my league? thanks neebie going to the Summit. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I sighed up for trails at the summit and have a stock fj that I don't want to destroy. It is my only transportation. Not knowing the difficulties of the trail could someone give me some insight on if I am over my head? I have minimal equipment and no winch and I would change my trail selection to easier trails if need be. The ones i picked are Poughkeepsie trail and Black bear geocacting? Are these out of my league? thanks neebie going to the Summit. thanks for any input.
Those are the 2 hardest trails in the Ouray area the summit does, winch maybe needed on Poughkeepsie, expect to drag undercarriage on a stock rig in places. Are you over your head? depends on your experiance/fear of exposure. A couple years ago there was a 1st timer to the summit/offroading and they did Black Bear as their first trail and survived to tell the tale. You may want to reconsider the trails you picked, but you will find that everybody is very helpful and there is always somebody to spot you over the harder sections and to give encouragement.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Last year was my 1st time at the Summit, I didn't do Poughkeepsie and I didn't sign up for it this year either. I did the front half of Black Bear and our group couldn't complete it due to 2 rock slides. My truck was and still is stock (except for the tires). You should have no problems, minor bottom scrapes but nuttin to mess up your truck. You will have a blast, people are great and will assist you in anyway they can. It's basically dirt trails with some rock thrown in for good measure. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts