Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are really happy to be participating on our first FJ Summit. We want to be somewhat prepared and wanted to get some feedback from some seasoned veterans.

We hear a CB radio is a must to be connected to others during the trail. I'm showing my complete ignorance, but will a Motorola 2-way radio function just the same?

Is fuel something I need to be concerned about? Is gasoline plentiful in Ouray? Should I be prepared with extra fuel Jerry Cans?

I have about 30K miles on my BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A tires. They still have some life in them, but curious if new tires are a must for the trails.

Meals? I believe our entry fee comes with some meals, but are there any recommended places to eat in town? Any we should avoid?

Thanks for any feedback!:cheers:
-John

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
My wife and I are really happy to be participating on our first FJ Summit. We want to be somewhat prepared and wanted to get some feedback from some seasoned veterans.

We hear a CB radio is a must to be connected to others during the trail. I'm showing my complete ignorance, but will a Motorola 2-way radio function just the same?

Is fuel something I need to be concerned about? Is gasoline plentiful in Ouray? Should I be prepared with extra fuel Jerry Cans?

I have about 30K miles on my BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A tires. They still have some life in them, but curious if new tires are a must for the trails.

Meals? I believe our entry fee comes with some meals, but are there any recommended places to eat in town? Any we should avoid?

-John
The motorola's are not same as a CB radio. The handheld midland and cobra cb's are affordable, you don't need to bring gas cans, there's plenty of gas in town. Just gas up after you are done with the trails each day. You tires should be fine. I think you get two meals with the registration fee. The town literally is walking distance from one end to the other and plenty of places to eat. Just don't remember any restaurant in particular.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Get handheld CB, Cobra or Midland with wire and a magnetic antenna.
No jerry cans needed as long as you fuel up regularly.
Those tires should be fine.
Registration includes 6PM meal on Wed, Thur and Sat (Friday is the "around town" day so we urge everyone to support local businesses)

·
Registered
84 Posts

-John
Hi
The cookies at mouses is awesome and so is the coffee if u drink coffee. The outlaw is a great restaurant to eat at.
Backstreet bistro has good sandwiches. Just to name a few :smile

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,999 Posts
1. The 2 way radio and CB radio operate on different radio waves and therefore aren't backwards compatible. I've tried using a handheld CB in the past with poor results. I suggest looking at the little complete CB kits from PureFJCruiser.com. good value and you can get all you need!

2. There is a fuel station in Ouray as in Telluride and Silverton and wherever so as long as you are at least 3/4 full each day you should be fine.

3. Tires should be fine. As long as they still have a bit of tread.

4. The Irish pub in Ouray is tasty and if getting lunch in Telluride, be sure to go to Brown Dog pizza!, it is amazing!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts

-John
Ditto to everything everyone said,
Adding to it: Maggies Kitchen for a Burger is a MUST!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Thanks for the replies.

I'll look into the hand held CBs. I just wasn't sure I wanted to permanently mount a CB, wire up the antenna, etc.. for something I would not regularly use.

We look forward to trying the restaurants around town. We have a growing 13 year old and food is always on her mind. :) I assume we are to provide our daily lunch while out on the trail.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the replies.

I'll look into the hand held CBs. I just wasn't sure I wanted to permanently mount a CB, wire up the antenna, etc.. for something I would not regularly use.

We look forward to trying the restaurants around town. We have a growing 13 year old and food is always on her mind. :) I assume we are to provide our daily lunch while out on the trail.

Yes on the lunch. Mouses can fix a lunch each morning but they are busy so get there early. You should have a cooler on board to keep your food fresh.

Maggie’s is good food but some think it needs a good cleaning. O’Brien’s has good food and atmosphere. I think my favorite is Gold Bar which has lots of outdoor seating, good pizza and burgers. Most restaurants in town serve beer. Maggie’s does not. Ouray is a very crowded town in July. Expect long lines and crowded parking.

July is monsoon season so be prepared for afternoon thunderstorms almost daily from about 2-6.

If you go with a hand held be sure to get a mag-mount antenna. No wiring; just screw it into the radio then run the cable out a door and stick it on the roof. If you depend on the little rubber duckie that comes on the radio performance will suffer.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Admin
7,331 Posts
Always have extra water and snacks (granola bars, etc)... just in case things go longer than anticipated.

We learned this the hard way in Moab... (all guide books are not equal :D ) and have made sure to always have plenty everywhere we go now.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Always have extra water and snacks (granola bars, etc)... just in case things go longer than anticipated.

We learned this the hard way in Moab... (all guide books are not equal :D ) and have made sure to always have plenty everywhere we go now.
And just to add to those items, it's not a bad idea to carry insect spray, toilet paper for the toilets along the trails, and hand sanitizer.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Great resturant suggestions so far, the Ouray brewery is also a good spot to hit and there's a second brewery on the north end of town that just opened last summer, I don't remember their name but they have the best fried chicken sandwich that I've ever had in my life. If you venture down to Ridgeway there's a Costa Rican resturant that's a bit of a hole in the wall but is also definitely worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
You're gonna have a BLAST - some suggestions
- Bottled water, helps prevent altitude sickness (some trails are way up there)
- Grue Grit restaurant in Ridgway is good, especially if you are a John Wayne fan
- Also Gas is cheaper in Ridgway, and it's only about 9-10 miles away.
- local "hot springs" public city pool is great, bring swimming suits.
- Bottled water - i know a repeat, but it really is critical - Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
- of course with hydration (input) come output, some BioBreaks on the trail can be far apart. (especially at my age:>) so take every opportunity that presents its self.

Look forward to seeing you there - my wife and i always volunteer at the swag bag stuff, a day or two before registration and at registration - if you see us say HI!!

Bob and Sandy Shaffar
San Antonio TX

Reactions: Thorn661

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
- Grue Grit restaurant in Ridgway is good, especially if you are a John Wayne fan
- Bottled water - i know a repeat, but it really is critical - Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
- of course with hydration (input) come output, some BioBreaks on the trail can be far apart. (especially at my age:>) so take every opportunity that presents its self.

Look forward to seeing you there - my wife and i always volunteer at the swag bag stuff, a day or two before registration and at registration - if you see us say HI!!

Bob and Sandy Shaffar
San Antonio TX
We will definitely say hi! :wave:

We will be spending a couple of days in Durango just before the summit. We should roll in town Wed morning.

Grit is one of my favorite channels. Love the old westerns. We will try out the restaurant on the way to pick up some fuel one of the days. Thanks for the suggestion!

John and Tracie DaSilva
Austin TX

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
All are good recomendations other than Maggie's. I don't think it would be open anywhere in the country. Filthy is high praise for the place. Love Ouray, the Summit, but that place is a hole. Have eaten there several times. Wife is a nurse, she refuses to go in the place.

Pizza place on the North end of town is pretty good, but so are their prices. No shortage of good places to eat.

I think your tires will be fine as long as you stay off of corkscrew in the rain. It can get slick on the down side and last year still had some mud holes. But if you are planning on replacing them in a few thousand miles, it might be wiser to do it before the summit. Flats are miserable anytime but way moreso on these trails and really cause slow downs and back ups. But you know how good they are or aren't.

Just plan on having a great time. The place is as close to paradise as you get in the mountains.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
All are good recomendations other than Maggie's. I don't think it would be open anywhere in the country. Filthy is high praise for the place. Love Ouray, the Summit, but that place is a hole. Have eaten there several times. Wife is a nurse, she refuses to go in the place.

Pizza place on the North end of town is pretty good, but so are their prices. No shortage of good places to eat.

I think your tires will be fine as long as you stay off of corkscrew in the rain. It can get slick on the down side and last year still had some mud holes. But if you are planning on replacing them in a few thousand miles, it might be wiser to do it before the summit. Flats are miserable anytime but way moreso on these trails and really cause slow downs and back ups. But you know how good they are or aren't.

Just plan on having a great time. The place is as close to paradise as you get in the mountains.
I agree about Maggies, we ate there my first Summit and have not been back.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts

Bob and Sandy Shaffar
San Antonio TX
We hit Grue Grit every year. Great atmosphere, good food and nice people. Plus it helps support the small town.

Great reminder about water Bob. Lots of water on trail, off trail, morning and night. Stopping a trail run for a bio break is a lot better than stopping a trail run for a medical situation. I carry a lot of bottles incase I come across someone in need. There are hikers out on trails that may appreciate the drink. Your dogs need water too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a newbie question...I'm not riding Poughkeepsie for my first year but for everything else, I am wondering do I need to seriously consider changing my rear lower links over stock? I have bought almost everything else so far (including CB) but I am worried about this known weak link in the suspension. I have an extra set of links I can bring if it comes down to it.

·
Admin
7,331 Posts
I have a newbie question...I'm not riding Poughkeepsie for my first year but for everything else, I am wondering do I need to seriously consider changing my rear lower links over stock? I have bought almost everything else so far (including CB) but I am worried about this known weak link in the suspension. I have an extra set of links I can bring if it comes down to it.
The rear link bracket is actually more exposed and more vulnerable.... There are simple bolt-ons if you want... or weld-on.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the wheeling at the Summit... :wink

·
Forum Beer Miester
4,035 Posts

Bob and Sandy Shaffar
San Antonio TX
The only time I've ever had altitude issues at the summit was last year when I smoked an excellent cigar heading over Cali, not really an issue but more of a bit of euphoria. Hell of a cigar, takes a little effort to keep one lit above 10K. :bandit:

See you there!

·
Forum Beer Miester
4,035 Posts

@Winterpeg's got it right that's a simple bolt on but there are 3 dozen things I would add before worrying about links especially at Summit. Even Poughkeepsie wouldn't warrant it IMO, Summit overall is about the experience and not really for hardcore wheeling. No worries here for you man.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts